• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bay Area Bread and Cheese Shops

Stone

:wub: Here are some of my favorite bread and cheese places (hope you find this helpful):

BREAD--

Bay Bread Boulangerie

2325 Pine Street (Fillmore), SF

Noe Valley Bakery and Bread Co.

24th St, SF

Tartine Bakery

16th St (Guerrero), SF

CHEESE--

The Cheese Board

1504 Shattuck Ave, Berkeley

24th Street Cheese Company

3893 24th St, SF

Artisan Cheese

2413 California St, SF

Yum, I am hungry now...

Discuss.

The Cheese Board may be the best cheese shop in the U.S. It's variety may not be quite as high as Dean and DeLucca, but the prices more than make up for it.

Once I wanted an assortment of goat cheeses for 1, and they cut the little rounds into quarters for me! I had 5 types for about 3/4 of a lb or less.

beachfan

Good list, Wannabake. All excellent sources.

I personally enjoy Artisan Cheese, as well as shopping for both bread and cheese at the Embarcadero Farmer's Market on Saturday mornings.

And a bread list in SF needs to include Liguria Bakery on the corner of Stockton and Vallejo for plain, green onion, tomato or raisin focaccio. They used to charge a dime to cut a (9x12) sheet into small squares so you could eat it in the park across the street.

Besides classic breads, both Bay Bread and Tartine offer a selection of savory flatbreads (focaccio, pissaladiere, etc) topped with ham, cheese, olives, etc., as well as filled small breads.

Bay Bread reminds one of a good bakery in France; everything is classically correct. Besides breads and small breads, Tartine has some of the most beautiful cakes, tarts and pastries I have ever seen: real flowers or delicate petals turn their creations into flights of fancy too pretty to cut.

note: Tartine is on the corner of 18th St and Guerrero.

eGullet member #80.

I've never noticed that, and I go to Bi-Rite (Up 18th, a few doors down from Delfina) regularly.

Anybody have a comment on the cheese selection at the Italian grocer, about 24 and Valencia? I go there for olives, and other gourmet items (I discovered Dulce De Leche there -- ohmygod), but have never sampled their cheese or meats.

I've never noticed that, and I go to Bi-Rite (Up 18th, a few doors down from Delfina) regularly.

Anybody have a comment on the cheese selection at the Italian grocer, about 24 and Valencia? I go there for olives, and other gourmet items (I discovered Dulce De Leche there -- ohmygod), but have never sampled their cheese or meats.

It is where Lady Baltimore used to be. :unsure:

Stone, are you referring to Lucca? I think it is on the corner (across the street from Alma) of Valencia and 22nd or 23rd. If so, they have, we think, the best price on Parmesano-Regiano in town, about $9.99 a pound as I remember. We only buy it there. We also usually pick up a piece or two of whatever else looks good that day: Spanish goat, often a fresh mozerella ball or two, whatever their special is that week. We also buy our coteghino there, as well as our "house" cooking olive oil: Tiger, which usually sells at around $11. for the standard 3 (?) litre can. These are "good people", and you can take their advice about anything they sell.

eGullet member #80.