• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I have no good excuse for lurking so long.

afs

Hey all!

I'm a food science nerd and a foodie who believes that the only kind of cooking worth doing is well-executed cooking.  Unless of course one is starving--in which case, sure, go ahead and warm up some Chef Boyardee.

I've benefitted a lot from the posts here (especially the Control Freak and other precision cooking posts).  You guys and gals have helped guide my journey to find the right gear for my little test kitchen.  Unfortunately, I have now also accumulated quite a bit of gear (induction cooktops, induction-compatible copper cookware, induction-compatible pressure cookers, sous vide equipment, etc.).  Curses! :)

I'll try to keep up with what all y'all are making, and I'm happy to share some of my own "in grams and degrees C" recipes.  My apologies to my fellow Americans, if I don't always convert to ounces and degrees C.

As I'm mostly into precision cooking, I might be most useful around here by responding to otherwise-unanswered questions on those topics.  I'm also always up for "hey, can you tell me how long X liters of water takes to boil in Y pan" questions, if I happen to have the equipment here.  I can make charts.  Sometimes I can even manage a good photo.  I am however terrible at drawing illustrations.  Like stick man levels of terrible.

Anyway, I just wanted to say hello.  I'm looking forward to hanging out, officially.

afs

• Like 11

Hello @afs. From your intro, it seems that you don't need this very devoted community to aid and abet your "compulsion" to purchase kitchen toys. But, in case you need encouragement, we are great enablers! 😀 😀

Welcome.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Well, you are "officially" welcome to eG.  I completely understand - I lurked for probably a year before I finally joined.  I felt like I knew everyone, but it was weird that they didn't know me 😄!  Since you are already familiar, jump right in and share with us!  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

I lurked for probably a year before I finally joined

I only lurked about 4 hours. I found The Forum when I was looking for information about the instant pot. I was hooked immediately and wanted to ask questions.

I jumped right in, feet first, and pulled a few boo boos. But it's one of the best things I've ever done. I feel I've made a lot of friends and I've learned a whole lot. I hope that you have as good an experience as I have.

• Like 6