• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Does anyone also watch "Check, Please"

nerissa

one girl who was dressed as Tinkerbell with a dress and wings made entirely of sugar. I was there because they asked students at the French Pastry School volunteered to help out for the evening. I took lots of photos and I hope to get around to posting them soon.

Neil:

Yes, please post them when you have the chance! And , pray God, the Tinkerbell picture turns out well. I don't think I've wanted a frock so badly in years.

And yes, NSM, you are way, Way qualified.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
They are telling us it will be on tonight at 8:00 PM, Saturday 2:00 PM, 11:00 PM on Sunday. Channel 11.

The Tivo has been, um...tivo'd :huh::biggrin:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

I started out liking the show, but I didn't think Amanda Puck was able to generate any sparks or sparkle in the conversation. I like SIngh, I think she's a lovely young woman, but she doesn't have the zing either. I'd like to see them get a young, opinionated, snappy, humpy, gay guy to host the show. I think it would give the show an edge it needs.

Aidan

"Ess! Ess! It's a mitzvah!"

I started out liking the show, but I didn't think Amanda Puck was able to generate any sparks or sparkle in the conversation. I like SIngh, I think she's a lovely young woman, but she doesn't have the zing either. I'd like to see them get a young, opinionated, snappy, humpy, gay guy to host the show. I think it would give the show an edge it needs.

I was watching last night while working on a project. Without looking, I couldn't tell the difference between them. I hope Singh begins to make this her own.

I started out liking the show, but I didn't think Amanda Puck was able to generate any sparks or sparkle in the conversation.  I like SIngh,  I think she's a lovely young woman, but she doesn't have the zing either.  I'd like to see them get a young, opinionated, snappy, humpy, gay guy to host the show.  I think it would give the show an edge it needs.

I was watching last night while working on a project. Without looking, I couldn't tell the difference between them. I hope Singh begins to make this her own.

I want someone who is going to make me stop and think. Someone who will challenge the diners as well as the viewers to look at food or restaurants or chefs differently; to stop and ask questions. Otherwise, I might as well be watching Barney.

Aidan

"Ess! Ess! It's a mitzvah!"

There was a guy on there the other night- the Superdawg show. He matched your wish list. Very annoying complainer. :blink: The new girl looks like she's taking her wine drinking a little too seriously as she's totally porked out now. That show as well as WTTW- bugs me big time.

I loved the Trio segment and it made me want to go there even more. :smile:

I thought Alpana was good in the episode too. She seems to be developing her own personal style and it's fine with me. She actually mentioned Everest this week too.

But what's up with the fakey restaurant presence track and faux bartender in the background? The show isn't really shot on location, is it? (that wouldn't be a bad idea, btw). That has to be a set or they'd show a lot more of it. I think those added elements give the show a cheezy undertone and diminish it a little bit. Still, I watch it every week because it's a great concept and in far more ways than not, it's very well-produced too.

=R=

I applied to be on Check, Please!, and actually got called several months later. They were interested in my application because I'd mentioned Gabriel's (in Highwood). They said they may call me back, or they may not. Well, Gabirel's was featured a month or two ago, so I guess I won't be on anytime soon! What happened is that they taped the Gabriel's segment last season. It was featured with two other restaurants which had since gone out of business. Since they didn't want to feature places that were closed, they scrapped the original Gabriel's segment. Well, I guess they got the original guy to come back to the studio. Oh well, I'll have to try again!

I tivo Check please so I don't miss it. I'm not terribly impressed with Alpana. But I do get so many ideas for restaurants from that show! We actually took a trip up to Noon O' Kabob after watching and we had so much fun. The owner was losing his mind because he'd had a line out the door since 11am, but he still took time out to tell us a dirty joke about a persian man and his wife. The food was wonderful and the experience was even more memorable.

What bugs me the most with Alpana is the strange voice intonations, the sudden burst of octave, the breathy high notes, the awkward changes of pace leading to the next topic... All of this, plus the extreme makeover she's been given, tells me that someone is choreographing her act a bit too much.

What bugs me the most with Alpana is the strange voice intonations, the sudden burst of octave, the breathy high notes, the awkward changes of pace leading to the next topic... All of this, plus the extreme makeover she's been given, tells me that someone is choreographing her act a bit too much.

Yeah...and she sometimes seems to be shouting (I wonder if they run that awful presence track in the studio during taping and she feels she has to talk 'over' it). But I find her charming nonetheless. And since she knows more about wine than I know about anything, I hold her in high esteem. :smile:

=R=

• 4 months later...

Wondering what's up with Check, Please...I haven't noticed a fresh episode in months. Does anyone know if this show is still in production? I definitely miss it.

=R=

Just a note to say that I have contacted WTTW about this but have not yet received a response. With CLTV's Good Eating tv show now cancelled (even though it won the 2003 Beard Award for best local cooking show :wacko:), it would be a shame to also lose this program.

=R=

• 3 months later...
I was just flipping channels avoiding some Chicago area sporting event and saw a flash - new episodes of Check, Please! starting October 15th!

'Bout time, eh?

Yes and thank you :smile:

=R=

I was just flipping channels avoiding some Chicago area sporting event and saw a flash - new episodes of Check, Please! starting October 15th!

'Bout time, eh?

I heard moto may be on the season opener. Just a rumor floating about for a few weeks now.

Future Food - our new television show airing 3/30 @ 9pm cst:

http://planetgreen.discovery.com/tv/future-food/

Hope you enjoy the show! Homaro Cantu

Chef/Owner of Moto Restaurant

www.motorestaurant.com

• 1 month later...

Check, Please is back! Finally, the new season has indeed begun. :smile:

There is a great, new episode airing this week featuring the following restaurants:

Moto

945 W Fulton Market

Chicago, IL

312 491-0058

Ristorante Agostino

2817 N Harlem

Chicago, IL

773 745-6464

Healthy Food Lithuanian

3236 S Halsted

Chicago, IL

312 326-2724

It was also nice to see the launch of a new feature, Singh About Wine in which the show's host, master sommelier Alpana Singh of Everest provides wine tips.

=R=

Check, Please is back!  Finally, the new season has indeed begun. :smile:

There is a great, new episode airing this week featuring the following restaurants:

Moto

945 W Fulton Market

Chicago, IL

312 491-0058

=R=

Be sure to watch for sightings of eGullet's own Inventolux (Chef Homaro) and Hobbes (sous chef Eric). :smile:

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com