• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gourmet Mustard

Tropicalsenior

I am not a mustard fan. I use yellow mustard for potato salad and deviled eggs, but only if I make it myself. I need Dijon for vinaigrettes and sauces and honey mustard is okay as a dip but this mustard I could sit down and eat by the spoonful. I've been making it for 20 years and I always have a jar of it in my refrigerator.

Gourmet  Mustard

Makes 2 cups (approximately) 

1/2 cup white  vinegar 

1/4 cup water 

2 eggs, beaten 

1/3  cup mustard powder (good quality) 

3/4 cup brown sugar 

2 tablespoons whole mustard seed 

In a medium saucepan, whisk together vinegar and mustard (you must use a whisk not a spoon, it makes a difference!). Add the remaining ingredients,  Bring to a slow boil, stirring constantly. Cook and stir for 10 minutes.  Let sit until it reaches room temperature. Store in a glass container, in  the refrigerator. 

• Like 7

One day when I made this, using the last of my mustard powder, I scorched it. And mustard powder is awfully hard to find here. Since then I have made it in my microwave. I cook it on 70% power for one full minute. Stir It well. I then cook it on 50% power for about four or five additional minutes stirring after each minute until it thickens. It will thicken more as it cools. Because it contains eggs, I don't keep it much more than a month if it lasts that long.

• Like 4

I make a mustard blend that incorporates yellow mustard,  blended with sweet pickle relish and fine diced habanero peppers.  It just works in many applications.  Not overly sweet but the hit from the relish gives it a sweet note.  A friend in Chicago was buying it and got the recipe.   His name is Tony, so we endearingly call it Tony mustard 

591C8CD5-29A5-45D6-ABF7-EC915DC832D2.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

13 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

yellow mustard,  blended with sweet pickle relish and fine diced habanero

It sounds like a very simple and a very good recipe if you can take the heat. Unfortunately, I can't. I also do not like commercial yellow mustard. It all seems too harsh to me. I have a great recipe for yellow mustard if anyone is interested. It gives you the sharpness of the yellow mustard with several layers of flavor that you don't get in the commercial.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have some Coleman's sitting around, so I might try a half recipe. What size eggs do you use -- or, even better, what weight, either with or without the shell? And what color mustard seeds? (I'm guessing yellow.)

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

8 minutes ago, Alex said:

What size eggs do you use -- or, even better, what weight,

Most of the time when it's just for us I only make half a recipe. The eggs that I use are 60g in the shell. I use the yellow mustard seeds because it is all that I can get here but I would imagine that you could use any kind that you want. It would only change the flavor a slight bit. I like them more for texture. The recipe is quite versatile and forgiving. The next time that I make it I am going to try it with maple syrup because someone recently mentioned making a mustard with that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I hope you don't mind if I add on. I used to make this American style yellow mustard when opened a Cuban restaurant, like to leave it just a lil coarse because I like that bit of texture. These days at home I've been really into Savora the French version of yellow mustard discovered it on a sandwich at FTG in Paris and have been hooked ever since. 

Ingredients:

Amount:

Notes: 

Mustard seeds

110 g

White wine vinegar

160 ml

Water

160 ml

Brown sugar

1 oz

Tumeric

2 tsp

Water

AN

1)  Combine Mustard seed, water, wine vinegar and let stand over night

Key Points:

1) up to 3 days

2) Add to blender

2)

3) add sugar, tumeric

3)

4) Blend. Add water as needed if mixture is too thick. 

4)

5)

5)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AAQuesada said:

I hope you don't mind if I add on.

I don't mind at all, thank you. I will definitely give this a try. I am going to give my link in Drive to my Yellow Mustard  recipe. I like it because it is a bit more mellow than the commercial yellow mustard. I noticed when I reread it that I don't state specifically that it is much better if you let it sit for 24 hours.

* I also cook this in the microwave with directions similar to The Gourmet Mustard.

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)
  • Like 1
  • Delicious 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/3/2022 at 8:49 AM, Tropicalsenior said:

It sounds like a very simple and a very good recipe if you can take the heat. Unfortunately, I can't. I also do not like commercial yellow mustard. It all seems too harsh to me. I have a great recipe for yellow mustard if anyone is interested. It gives you the sharpness of the yellow mustard with several layers of flavor that you don't get in the commercial.

The heat is pretty tame as I cut out ribs and remove seeds.  But it gets a fruity note from the peppers 

• Thanks 1

On 11/29/2022 at 9:04 AM, Tropicalsenior said:

I am not a mustard fan. I use yellow mustard for potato salad and deviled eggs, but only if I make it myself. I need Dijon for vinaigrettes and sauces and honey mustard is okay as a dip but this mustard I could sit down and eat by the spoonful. I've been making it for 20 years and I always have a jar of it in my refrigerator.

Gourmet  Mustard

Makes 2 cups (approximately) 

1/2 cup white  vinegar 

1/4 cup water 

2 eggs, beaten 

1/3  cup mustard powder (good quality) 

3/4 cup brown sugar 

2 tablespoons whole mustard seed 

In a medium saucepan, whisk together vinegar and mustard (you must use a whisk not a spoon, it makes a difference!). Add the remaining ingredients,  Bring to a slow boil, stirring constantly. Cook and stir for 10 minutes.  Let sit until it reaches room temperature. Store in a glass container, in  the refrigerator. 

I just made a batch of this tonight - the microwave method.  It smells wonderful.  I'm going to serve it beside my ham tomorrow night.  

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...