• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What to call a position when the role is varied

Celest

13 hours ago, gfweb said:

That's only a revealing question if you get them to explain their choice.  Otherwise it is just another bad interview tactic. 

Maybe they want increased responsibility more than money. 

Often it prompts further discussion, regardless; it is certainly not a bad interview tactic.

If I am hiring for a revenue generating role (which was mentioned above) and they tell me that a title is more important (responsibility, etc) then chances are they are not the right fit. 

On 11/29/2022 at 7:40 PM, gfweb said:

That's only a revealing question if you get them to explain their choice.  Otherwise it is just another bad interview tactic. 

Maybe they want increased responsibility more than money. 

Totally understand what you are saying here, a previous comment nailed my problem on the head. It's more about beating a search filter, and attracting an appropriate candidate, to look further into the details of the job posting.  If I were to find out in an interview that someone had an issue with a titel, I think it would raise a bigger red flag that I probably wouldn't want to deal with in my shop. (that's making the assumption that I've at least chosen a title that isn't offensive or derogatory to begin with)

• Like 2

Celest Robinson

Shade Tree Chocolate Studio Ltd.

There is always so much more to learn....

On 11/29/2022 at 6:31 PM, FauxPas said:

Shop Generalist or Shop Multitasker. Maybe kinder versions of 'dogsbody'?  🙂

I'm actually quite liking the term Shop Generalist, or work with something along those lines. Thanks for that Suggestion.

• Like 2

Celest Robinson

On 11/29/2022 at 5:43 PM, liuzhou said:

I live in China, but I'm not Chinese; I'm British. No one knows the term 'dogsbody' here.

The word was coined by sailors and took on currency in the 1920s.

Girl Friday is from the 1940s, first used in Time Magazine.

Thanks for the detailed explanation!   I've now just learned my new word for today :)

• Like 1

Celest Robinson

On 11/29/2022 at 4:18 PM, chromedome said:

Clearly you haven't watched Rowan Atkinson as Blackadder (he refers to his sidekick, Baldric, as his dogsbody). Definition is here:

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/dogsbody

Good luck to you on your enterprise. You're just about smack between my ex's maternal family (Fort St. John) and paternal family (Edmonton).

Yup, that is definitely an accurate description of where I'm located.  PS.  its FREEZING TODAY! -30C! (just in case you've ever visited area and miss it ;) )

• Haha 1

Celest Robinson

8 minutes ago, Celest said:

Yup, that is definitely an accurate description of where I'm located.  PS.  its FREEZING TODAY! -30C! (just in case you've ever visited area and miss it ;) )

Not so much, no. I like being on the coast. :)

Truthfully it was not the winters there that I minded, it was the summers. Not a fan of hot-and-dry (not a fan of hot, period, but getting desiccated as a side benefit just seemed a bit much).

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

"The Glue That Holds This Place Together" has a nice ring to it, but doesn't reduce well to a keyword search.

• Haha 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

• 1 month later...
On 12/2/2022 at 8:39 AM, cdh said:

You could go for the full on sarcasm route and call the job "Chocolate Shop Lackey", and indicate promotion potential to "Chocolate Shop Flunky".  

I like to joke with people I know "wana come work for me for shitty pay?"   This is usually to my friends who happen to have credentials like Accountant, or mechanic, or some white collar executive :D I actually got a friend of mine who just go their Accounting designation and is currently job hunting to come work for me for the Christmas season. She's great, wish I could keep her, but I can't afford an Accountant Salary :D ( but I can dream big, right?)

• Like 1

Celest Robinson

So I affectionally call one of my employees, my robot. before she showed up, I knew that I needed someone who was very task orientated and just wanted to get things done. I'm really good with people ,and I've hired a few others that are really good with customers. I needed to have someone that was more black and white and preferred to stay away from people and just do tasks. A friend who works for me once in a while who is more like me was horrified that I would call the other one a Robot, I ended up telling my employee that I had called her that (and explained why) and she took it as a complement (as it was intended). I'm the worst chatty kathy in the shop, and I don't need a shop full of us. It's a really good example as to why different kinds of people working together is a good idea :) we can each play to our strengths.

• Like 3

Celest Robinson

I once worked for a tofu manufacturing company. My official title was Office Manager, but the reality was that I did everything that didn't involve immersing my hands in soy mash. I insisted on a working title of Factota. The one who gets things done.

• Like 2