• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sous vide Picanha pastrami

&roid

In my opinion, Picanha is way to lean for pastrami. I had very good results with beef tongue. I would not even go back to brisket if making from scratch. Its been a while since i found a deal on corned beef on sale. Maybe i am just old and can't get past the $0.99/lb deals around St pattys day. @rotuts knows what im talking bout. lol

• Like 1

In the end I ran out of time this week so had to cheat a little and use liquid smoke. I cooked it at 110°C in the oven after coating with the smoke. 

It actually turned out pretty well - the sous vide method has left really juicy tender meat, much better than previous salt beef attempts I’ve done using traditional methods. 

flavour was ok, a bit of the sweet side so I’d reduce the sugar content substantially next time. 

Not the most artful of pictures but you can see the colour was a nice deep red. 

B3F94588-0860-4387-8049-C74B6E2E58E5.jpeg

Edited by &roid (log)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

12 hours ago, AAQuesada said:

Nice! That's one of my favorite cuts off meat

I was just looking at this one with Beef Cheeks, another favorite cut that looks pretty sexy too.

https://thefoodist.uk/2015/05/31/beef-cheek-pastrami-recipe-redux/

This looks interesting.  I have 5 beef cheeks in the freezer and may try this.  Brining it is simple enough.  I'm thinking if all you want is salt beef, it cooked be cooked sous vide.   For pastrami, I can smoke it using my Cameron stove top smoker, using my Control Freak set to 130C.  The meat  then be cooked sous vide.  Any reason why this won't work?

• Like 1

@ElsieD 

Wow !  ''  5 beef cheeks ''

Id suggest this , 

never having a beef cheek myself , to look into 

there are various way , delicious many

to deal with the tougher parts of the Cow.

Id suggest just SV , perhaps a little minimal trimmign

w a light seasoning , that's Beef-y

I like penzies chicago steak 

and Saures Roat Prime Rib .

no mater 

just thyme , rosemary , perhaps a bit of garlic 

if you that sort of thing:

for the best thinly sliced meat 

for the Best ' Not Roast Beef  'sandwich you ever tasted 

130.1 for 24 hrs ? 36 H ?

the Week SVd expert know this , and here 

if the Cheeks are Fz

try this first .

then move on to seasons etc

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Any reason why this won't work?

Beef Cheeks are great sous vide. And I not even huge fan of Sous vide generally. I would do it this way as well for Pastrami. If you do it let us know how it turns out!

Edited by AAQuesada (log)
  • Like 2

The first time I had beef cheeks I cooked them sous vide.  They were wonderful.  Even better, though we're the pork cheeks I bought at the same place, also cooked sous. Vide.  A few weeks back I cooked one sous vide and it was tough.    Because of that unhappy outcome, this week I cooked two in my Instant Pot.  They were terrific.  But, I prefer my beef medium rare so I will try again.  The pastrami intrigues  me.  I'll definitely post results here, should I try it.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, rotuts said:

@FeChef 

''   $0.99/lb deals  '''

Wow !  you are old !

I think I remember $ 1.49  

but my memory is hazy 

drunk.jpeg.acfd857958db67207492d3d64b6de614.jpeg

Could be regional pricing. I remember way back in the SV corned beef thread i was getting corned beef for 0.99/lb on sale around St Patty's day. Maybe it was $1.49/lb in your area. Either way, I havent seen those deals since pre covid, and i doubt i will see them anytime soon.

• Sad 1

On 12/7/2022 at 5:58 PM, ElsieD said:

The first time I had beef cheeks I cooked them sous vide.  They were wonderful.  Even better, though we're the pork cheeks I bought at the same place, also cooked sous. Vide.  A few weeks back I cooked one sous vide and it was tough.    Because of that unhappy outcome, this week I cooked two in my Instant Pot.  They were terrific.  But, I prefer my beef medium rare so I will try again.  The pastrami intrigues  me.  I'll definitely post results here, should I try it.

For medium, I'd SV a long time to soften...2 days maybe

• Like 1