• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Revere Ware-ish 3 Qt. Sauce Pan Upgrade?

scott123

I just forgot about some stock I was reducing :(  I think my 25 year old 3 Qt. Revere Ware sauce pan is toast.  I might be able to find the same thing on ebay, but I'm contemplating an upgrade.

The thing is, I REALLY like three things about the Revere Ware.

1. It's light.  I'm washing it by hand quite a lot, and it's light enough that it washes without a huge effort

2. It fits in my dishwasher.  When I put it in my dishwasher, the straight side edges and diameter allow it to fit flawlessly.  I have sauce pans with lips, but the lips play horribly with my dishwasher geography. Maybe if it's taller/narrow, lips might be okay, but, between tall w/ lips and Revere Ware-ish diameter without lips, I'm hoping for lipless.

3. Price. I think I paid 10 bucks for it.  I'm open to spending considerably more, but. North of about $70 isn't going to work with my budget.

Just to be clear, I've been cooking with Revere Ware all my life. I'm well aware of it's limitations.  But, in a world where better quality almost always comes with greater heft, a flared lip, and a much higher price tag, I'm not sure, for me, a potential upgrade exists.

But I'm still asking :)

My 2 cents:  consider a saucier shape vs a saucepan - maybe you like it, maybe not.   For a saucepan, consider Tramontina.  the Wirecutter recommends them with an All-Clad saucier as an upgrade pick. 

I'm also a longtime Revere Ware user with a workhorse 3-qt saucepan.  Mine came with steamer and double boiler inserts and I think I forked out a major investment of $20-25 at a Revere outlet store for my first college apartment. I still use it with those inserts on my gas cooktop but the bottom had become so warped that it was kind of useless on my portable induction burner.  I decided to replace it with an All-Clad stainless 3-qt saucier (their lowest level stuff) that I ordered from homeandcooksales.com for $85.  They sell factory seconds in now-and-again sales events so it may not suit your immediate need as they just closed their last November sale.   No lip, spout or helper handle so it fits in the dishwasher as well as the Revere Ware. It was a very nice upgrade and I subsequently replaced my 1 qt and 2 qt Revere Ware saucepans with All-Clad sauciers and have been very happy with them. I very much like the more rounded corners for the things I tend to cook in them. I've had good experiences with several purchases from those people but $85 is still over your budget, hence my recommendation to check out the Tramontina.  I don't have it but do have a nice skillet from them.  Unfortunately it's not induction compatible, so check that out if it's important to you. 

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 3

I did that to a nice old style ScanPan.

Ebay can get you a nice all clad Master Chef (the original, not the MC2 or what ever).

Calpahlon is a nice upgrade from Revere. https://smile.amazon.com/Calphalon-Classic-Stainless-Cookware-2-quart/dp/B00JK960X8/ref=sr_1_12?crid=224CJJZC2ZSP0&keywords=calphalon+3+qt&qid=1669260397&sprefix=calphalon+3+qt%2Caps%2C534&sr=8-12

• Like 1

If you should change your mind and want to get another RevereWare pan, don't buy new. When mfg went off-shore the quality disappeared. They warp quickly.  Because I'm a thrift shopping nut I always check for RevereWare that shows that they're old and made in the U.S.  I have several pieces in my pots and pans that came from thrift stores.  I can certainly afford other new pans, but RevereWare holds a special place in my heart. When my mother emptied out her kitchen to move into assisted living I claimed the 3 qt that I grew up with. I won't say I'm old but I was born during Eisenhower's 1st administration. 

• Like 7

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

• 2 weeks later...

A belated thank you to everyone for your advice.

I bought a sanding wheel for my drill, and it kind of looks like the burnt out pan is back from the dead.  We shall see.

I do need a backup- or two, so the recommendations are helpful.

One more thing I've been thinking about.  I can't do rivets.  Rivets drive me bonkers :)

On 11/23/2022 at 4:45 PM, blue_dolphin said:

I decided to replace it with an All-Clad stainless 3-qt saucier

When I say the word 'All Clad'  my arms get really tired.  All Clad.  Yup.  Now I can barely make a fist ;)

• Haha 2