• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cinnamon Apple Cake

Tropicalsenior

Cinnamon Apple Cake

1 3/4 cups sugar, divided

1/2 cup stick butter, softened

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

6 oz block-style fat-free cream cheese, softened(about 3/4 cup)

2 large eggs

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

3 cups chopped peeled Rome apple (about 2 large)

Preheat oven to 350o. Spray 8" springform pan evenly with nonstick spray. Beat 1 1/2 cups sugar, butter, vanilla, and cream cheese at medium speed of a mixer until well-blended (about 4 minutes). Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Add flour mixture to creamed mixture, beating at low speed until blended. Combine 1/4 cup sugar and cinnamon. Combine 2 tablespoons cinnamon mixture and apple in a bowl, and stir apple mixture into batter. Pour batter into prepared pan and sprinkle with remaining cinnamon mixture. Bake at 350o for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until the cake pulls away from the sides of the pan. Cool the cake completely on a wire rack, and cut using a serrated knife.

Note: I prefer to use granny smith apples and real butter and bake in a 9" springform pan at 325 for about 1 1/2 hours or until done.

I got this from the internet and I wish that I could get them credit but I have no idea who it was.

My notes

I cut the recipe in half and baked it in an 8x8 glass dish at 325°. I started testing at 35 minutes and I think I took it out at 45. I mixed it it just as they say and thoroughly creamed the butter, sugar, and cream cheese.

I plan to try this with other fruits and the next one will probably be with mandarin orange. I will update as I go along.

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)
  • Like 1