• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crème Brûlée making process upgrade?

Vojta

Why do you bake it in the oven at high temperatures and risk overcooking? Or making it complicated in sous vide. Isn't Crème Brûlée just a custard? Let's cook it in a saucepan, pour it into the dishes after and let them set. So much easier, isn't it? 

Where is the catch now, because nobody does it this way 😄

It is very much a function of taste and textural preferences.    AFAIK and do, it is baked at a low temperature to ensure a silken custard, so overcooking is seldom a risk.    And there is a discernible difference between stovetop and baked custard texture, one soft and creamy, the other distinctly "cuttable" with one's spoon.    Just different results.   Up to you,  

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

12 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

baked at a low temperature to ensure a silken custard, so overcooking is seldom a risk

I think it is a risk easily. To cook the custard you need about 83 °C, while most recipes call for baking in a water bath in 160 °C oven. I steam cooked mine (thus the temp was 100 °C) and it was still enough to overcook. Might be just mine mistake though :D

Thanks for letting me know. I need to test the texture differences 

8 minutes ago, Pete Fred said:

Baked in metal rings. Then, once chilled, warm the rings with a blowtorch and lift clear. Surprisingly simple. 👍

Thanks Pete. Would never thought about pouring liquid into a ring. Will give it a try!

Just for clarity…

Seal bottom of rings tightly with a double layer of clingfilm. Once cooked and chilled, remove clingfilm and set the ring on plate. Gently warm ring with a torch, no need to go crazy. Carefully lift the ring up and away. Eat the beautiful thing you have made. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1