• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Unusual instructions in Apple Spice Cake Recipe -- follow them?

mmlstarr

Hi all:

I’m about to make an apple spice cake that has, to me, an odd method. Cream 12T butter and 300g sugar but just for 1-2 mins on medium. Then add in flour, bp, spices, and mix on medium until fully combined. Then add 2 eggs. Then 4 cups of apples and some chopped pecans. 

It seems like a weird cross between creaming and reverse creaming. For creaming method, it doesn’t seem like long enough to beat the butter and sugar together, and it’s weird to add the flour next. For reverse creaming, it seems weird to cream the butter and sugar first.

Do you think I should alter the recipe to fit one of those methods better or just give it a go?

Confused in Massachusetts,

Michael

Edited by Smithy
Adjusted title for clarity (log)

Could you tell us the source of the recipe? Perhaps that would lend some insight into the instructions.

On a slightly related note, how's the Miss Florence Diner nowadays?

• Like 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

@Alex It's an OXO recipe for Apple Snacking Spice Cake.  I just googled it and found a video of the creator of the recipe cooking it (basically an add for OXO products). It cleared nothing up, lol. In the video, she clearly creams the butter and sugar first, then combines the apples, raisins, and nuts to all of the dry ingredients/spices so that the fruit is totally coated. She then adds the coated fruit to the butter/sugar mix and mixes by hand. She doesn't mention the 2 eggs, though I assume she added them to the butter/sugar mix after they were creamed, like a normal creaming method. The written recipe (same OXO cake) is different, with the odd method I write about above.

It is A LOT of fruit.

Oh - and the Miss Florence Diner is still pretty good! Great breakfast : )

Edited by mmlstarr
punctuation (log)

Just a thought: Who knows how many editors the written recipe went though, or even who wrote it out in the first place? I'd trust the video.

Also, the recipe says, "mix [the butter and sugar] together at medium speed for 1-2 minutes, or until butter mixture is pale yellow, light and fluffy." As you noted, I would have omitted that "1-2 minutes." 

I assume you're the Michael who posted this inquiry as a comment on the recipe's web page. Please let us know if you receive any constructive replies.

• Like 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I watched the video and although there was no visual of the eggs, before she added the dry ingredients, she said she was adding them to the sugar, butter and egg mixture that she had creamed. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Thanks @Anna N I missed where she said that, but assumed that had to be the right timing. The real confusion lay in the discrepancy between the video and the written recipe. I'm going to follow the video as @Alexsuggested. I'll report back.

And yes - I made that comment on the site. 

Thanks for all the help, everyone!

• Like 1