• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ideas for leftover jello

Shelby

1 hour ago, CookBot said:

In the '60s, my mother used to take finished Jell-O, beat it with her hand mixer until it was broken up into little bits, and mix it into evaporated milk that she had chilled and then whisked like cream.  (We were poor, so she used that instead of real cream.)  She then turned that mixture into a graham cracker crust, for a sort of version of chiffon pie.

It was actually very pretty, with the sparkly colored bits in the white "cream".  And I'm sure you could use real cream instead and it would be better.

There were a lot of recipes that started with whipping a can of chilled evaporated milk. 

2 hours ago, CookBot said:

In the '60s, my mother used to take finished Jell-O, beat it with her hand mixer until it was broken up into little bits, and mix it into evaporated milk that she had chilled and then whisked like cream.  (We were poor, so she used that instead of real cream.)  She then turned that mixture into a graham cracker crust, for a sort of version of chiffon pie.

It was actually very pretty, with the sparkly colored bits in the white "cream".  And I'm sure you could use real cream instead and it would be better.

My Dad poured evaporated milk on jello, which my Mom always made in a 9"x9" cake pan and cut into cubes to serve. We had dessert almost every night but unless it was a special occaision, dessert was either jello or canned fruit or jello and canned fruit. Neither of my two sisters nor I adopted the evaporated milk on jello thing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

There were a lot of recipes that started with whipping a can of chilled evaporated milk. 

Were there?  They seem to have escaped my notice amid all the nostalgia for midcentury foods over the past few years.

37 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

My Dad poured evaporated milk on jello, which my Mom always made in a 9"x9" cake pan and cut into cubes to serve. We had dessert almost every night but unless it was a special occasion, dessert was either jello or canned fruit or jello and canned fruit. Neither of my two sisters nor I adopted the evaporated milk on jello thing. 

Sounds exactly like dessert in my childhood home.  Almost always canned fruit for desserts (which is strange, since I grew up in California, where there was all that fresh fruit).  Cake only on birthdays, pies very rare except Christmas and Thanksgiving.

I was just thinking recently how we so often had canned apricots, and now I never see canned apricots in the supermarkets.

Edited by CookBot (log)
  • Like 2

The decline and fall of Jell-O.

“Desserts with gelatin, which is basically purified glue, have an expensive historical past. During the Victorian period in Europe, decorative gelatin molds had been a logo of glue  had been for the elite who had cooks and servants to labor by way of the frilly and time-consuming course of of constructing gelatin, typically extracted from the ft of calves or different animal components.”

It’s going to be harder to enjoy a bowl of Jell-O now I’ve heard it called purified glue. I always knew its origin, but never quite thought of it in that way.

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

11 hours ago, Anna N said:

The decline and fall of Jell-O.

“Desserts with gelatin, which is basically purified glue, have an expensive historical past. During the Victorian period in Europe, decorative gelatin molds had been a logo of glue  had been for the elite who had cooks and servants to labor by way of the frilly and time-consuming course of of constructing gelatin, typically extracted from the ft of calves or different animal components.”

It’s going to be harder to enjoy a bowl of Jell-O now I’ve heard it called purified glue. I always knew its origin, but never quite thought of it in that way.

Good article!  I think the 2nd sentence in that quote got a little mangled. Maybe too much glue in the copy/paste process 🙃

My last Jello project was perhaps even more unappetizing. At work, we were  filming a an instructional video to show clinical trial sites exactly how tumor specimens should be trimmed and processed for a particular study. Wary that anyone would think we were misusing human tissue samples for making a video,  I had the brilliant idea to make fake tumors from Jello.  Researching various Halloween Jello recipes, I had fun making some realistic looking ones and some rather bland beige blobs which were what we used in the end. 

Might be some Jello from that project still in the cupboard but I haven’t been inclined to make any to eat!

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Good article!  I think the 2nd sentence in that quote got a little mangled. Maybe too much glue in the copy/paste process 🙃

Yes, I did notice but decided to let it stand rather than make any kind of edit. 
Sounds like a challenging but interesting project you had.  
it will be interesting to see what is coming in the future for Jell-O. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog