• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ideas for leftover jello

Shelby

So, last Friday Ronnie had a colonoscopy  which meant Thursday was "clear" liquids only.  They used to ban anything red colored but this time it was ok.  Anyway, in trying to do all I could to make him something he might like, I made two different boxes of jello.  He took a couple bites and that's it.  I know...it's just jello, but any ideas about a dessert type thing I could make with already jelled jello?

I would cube it and mix with whipped cream or Cool Whip and crush some cookies on top - could be more elaborate but that is a quickie. Kind of a middle America Eton Mess

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Can you remove jello with a glass or mold or knife so it keeps its shape? Then layer it on cake with whipped cream on top? Mind you that means making a cake and whipped cream and then dealing with those leftovers, ha. But if you can layer the elements in a glass, I think it's quite pretty. 

• Like 1

While I am all for not wasting food, jell-O and colonoscopy might be just a little too close in Ronnie’s mind to spark much of an appetite. Just my 2 cents. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

So, last Friday Ronnie had a colonoscopy  which meant Thursday was "clear" liquids only.  They used to ban anything red colored but this time it was ok.  Anyway, in trying to do all I could to make him something he might like, I made two different boxes of jello.  He took a couple bites and that's it.  I know...it's just jello, but any ideas about a dessert type thing I could make with already jelled jello?

Worst of all you are probably stuck with lemon or lime jello, since you can't eat anything red or purple the day before. Any project with leftover jello doesn't bode well. Better to spend the time reading a novel or making something you actually might want to eat.

My only good memory of Jello is that it was allowed after my tonsillectomy but ice cream was better. And that was probably 65 years ago. W.ell, actually that's not my best Jello memory. I was at a party, and this was years ago. A Japanese woman brought a Jello dessert that was really more of an art project. Very thin layers of different colors of Jello plus white layers which were made using milk and gelatin. When cut it was simply beautiful. It must have take at least a day or two, because there were many layers and the last layer had to be cold and set before the next layer could be added. It was perfect.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

Worst of all you are probably stuck with lemon or lime jello, since you can't eat anything red or purple the day before.

I think @Shelbysaid this was no longer the case. Nevertheless, I can’t think of what could possibly be gained by repurposing it. Think of it as expired medication and ditch it. Or mail it to me I love Jell-O.

• Haha 5

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

58 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

Worst of all you are probably stuck with lemon or lime jello, since you can't eat anything red or purple the day before. Any project with leftover jello doesn't bode well. Better to spend the time reading a novel or making something you actually might want to eat.

My only good memory of Jello is that it was allowed after my tonsillectomy but ice cream was better. And that was probably 65 years ago. W.ell, actually that's not my best Jello memory. I was at a party, and this was years ago. A Japanese woman brought a Jello dessert that was really more of an art project. Very thin layers of different colors of Jello plus white layers which were made using milk and gelatin. When cut it was simply beautiful. It must have take at least a day or two, because there were many layers and the last layer had to be cold and set before the next layer could be added. It was perfect.

That Japanese jello thing is a fond memory from when I lived in a heavily Hawaiian Japanese neighborhood. def not a repurposed jello item. Taste - meh - but pretty  https://onolicioushawaii.com/rainbow-jello/

• Like 3

Here.

We had our very own show stopper Jell-O, desserts, back in the day. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

My 2004 eG Blog

I'm a fan of chunks of jello, maybe some fruit like strawberries or raspberries, crushed up cookies like Maria biscuits mixed into whipped cream. The cookies swell and become cake. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

I'm a fan of chunks of jello, maybe some fruit like strawberries or raspberries, crushed up cookies like Maria biscuits mixed into whipped cream. The cookies swell and become cake. 

Although I really find commercial Jello brand unpalatable, I will attest to the marriage of real fruit jello and whipped cream. Every couple of years during  blood orange season I make a gelatin mold that is really nothing but fresh squeezed orange juice. You can cheat a little by subbing a few navels or better yet cara caras, but to really get the right flavor and the deep color you do need to use mostly blood oranges. A brandied whipped cream is an awfully nice thing go-with.

My nephew, who pretty much shares my sense of humor, got treated to one of those molds on his birthday. I put candles in little plastic ballet dancer holders and wow, did they dance when I walked out that birthday "cake." Anyway, although my husband thought I was insane, I did prove that you can stick candles in jello and keep them lit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, cdh said:

If the idea of turning it into a jello salad is more appealing, you could try sticking your jelled jello into the microwave and melting it, then mix in whatever you like and rejell it. 

Like jello shots!  Great idea. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

My 2004 eG Blog

Bouncing off cdf's suggestion, a family member used to bring a jello "salad" to holiday dinners.   
Green Jello + can of crushed pineapple + carton of sour cream.

(or Red Jello + can of cranberry sauce + carton of sour cream.   SWEET, but kids inhaled it.)

• Thanks 1

eGullet member #80.

9 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

Although I really find commercial Jello brand unpalatable

Then you would probably enjoy RØDGRØD MED FLØDE 

• Thanks 3

My 2004 eG Blog

41 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

We made this up north as I recall!

I think we did. 

My 2004 eG Blog

In the '60s, my mother used to take finished Jell-O, beat it with her hand mixer until it was broken up into little bits, and mix it into evaporated milk that she had chilled and then whisked like cream.  (We were poor, so she used that instead of real cream.)  She then turned that mixture into a graham cracker crust, for a sort of version of chiffon pie.

It was actually very pretty, with the sparkly colored bits in the white "cream".  And I'm sure you could use real cream instead and it would be better.

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1