• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Culinary / Food Christmas Gifts 2022

liuzhou

The Guardian has today published a selection of food-related Christmas gifts at various price points. It is very British. There are several items there I woudn't complain about receiving; I'm less sure about giving. Few of my friends woud be looking for food related gifts. (They do have other redeeming qualities.)

What food-related gifts would you be likely to give or want to receive this year? From this list or otherwise. I fancy the mushroom playing cards big time. I'm cheap!

I suggest you get together and make one big parcel to send to me. The postage to China will be more affordable shared 😁.

I have ordered a bunch of outsized cooking chopsticks for everyone!

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I'm not sure they appreciate it, but I often give food and related gifts to my sister and her husband. We are all at the age where there is really nothing we need. I just ordered a few things for my milkman to bring--a couple will be taken for them when we go there for Thanksgiving.

Cocoavino

Whiskey cake - was not sold out when I ordered, so I have my fingers crossed that I will receive it. If not, plan B is to pick up a Jude's Rum Cake

And I keep planning to get some vanilla made--I have the beans. Won't be ready for use by Xmas, but it is the thought that counts. And some spicy-sweet nuts in a cute jar is my standard for quick last-minute gifts, hostess gifts and neighbors.

• Like 2

Deb

Liberty, MO

• 1 month later...

The Christmas give-outs are almost finished and the finished packages are sitting on the dining room table.  Chocolate dipped glacé ginger (I bought the ginger this year) and Enstrom copy-cat toffee...guaranteed to be the best toffee you've ever tasted.  Still to make for my library cookbook cooking club on Saturday are David Lebovitz's Spiced Candied Pecans.  

Made our cleaning lady ( I feel foolish calling this dear young friend a cleaning lady but what else can I say?) a carton of an ice cream which she asked for.  I make her coconut milk ice cream because she doesn't do dairy and then she said she'd like a raspberry pie in the ice cream so I added two cups of raspberries and a baked pie shell.  It was delicious.  Amazingly delicious.  

• Like 4
  • Delicious 2

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

31 minutes ago, heidih said:

Interesting as I would not of thought the pie enjoyable in the ice cream though I like the flavors. I think others here call the cleaning folks - "Cleaning Angels".

Cleaning angels.  Thanks. Sounds good to me.  This young woman is such a delight.  She brings such a ray of sunshine into our lives every second Tuesday morning. 

I think she had tasted my Apple Pie Ice Cream and liked it, recipe courtesy of the Ice Cream Geek. 

• Like 2

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.