• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

TechieTechie

TechieTechie

Well, I did my scouting trip. I was amazed how well my 10qt saucepan and 6qt saute fit, side by side, on a 30" bluestar...and the build quality. Miles ahead of mass market crap. But I'd forgetten about the installation specs. I'd have to

1. Remove some of the tile backsplash

2. Poke a new hole in the exterior (for the larger exhaust)

3. Relocate the OTR microwave (and either rework another cabinet or give up valuable counter space)

4. Add new exhaust

5. Rewire my current 240v dual fuel outlet to 120v.

Along with buying the 30" range. 

But given the holiday timing, stress levels (and that I just dropped a boatload on a larger than expected foundation waterproofing project) I may go the cheap route for now and repair the range. It's not terrible when it works. Even if it allows me to delay a year or two. But boy, I really really want my kitchen reno so that I can plop in a 36" :) It's one sexy beast.

Hey, can someone validate, is there another, non Bluestar, grill option that can be used with a 30"? The BS grill is massive.

And, yes, the 30" can take a full sheet (one of the reasons Houzz doesn't like the Platinum is b/c the different convection blower doesn't circulate well around a full sheet).

TechieTechie

TechieTechie

Well, I did my scouting trip. I was amazed how well my 10qt saucepan and 6qt saute fit, side by side, on a 30" bluestar...and the build quality. Miles ahead of mass market crap. But I'd forgetten about the installation specs. I'd have to

1. Remove some of the tile backsplash

2. Poke a new hole in the exterior (for the larger exhaust)

3. Remove the OTR microwave (and either rework another cabinet or give up valuable counter space)

4. Add new exhaust

5. Rewire my current 240v dual fuel outlet to 120v.

Along with buying the 30" range.  And, yes, the 30" can take a full sheet (one of the reasons Houzz doesn't like the Platinum is b/c the different convection blower doesn't circulate well around a full sheet).

But given the holiday timing, stress levels (and that I just dropped a boatload on a larger than expected foundation waterproofing project) I may go the cheap route for now and repair the range. It's not terrible when it works. But boy, I really really want my kitchen reno so that I can plop in a 36" :) It's one sexy beast.

Hey, can someone validate, is there another, non Bluestar, grill option that can be used with a 30"? The BS grill is massive.