• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Scotland in “summer” - a short travelblog

Duvel

1 hour ago, Tropicalsenior said:

@Duvel For some time now, I have been reading a light-hearted series about a Village Bobby in the highlands of Scotland. Going on this trip with you, just let me see the territory in which he lives and to learn about the food that, to me, seems strange but you show to be really quite appealing. I was a little disappointed that you didn't try a bacon bap.

I've read that series also...I'll bet...and I've always wanted to try a Scottish bacon bap.  Sundays we have  bacon, eggs and toast for lunch and I always make a bacon and tomato sandwich out of my toast and bacon.    I notice that in English detective series, the police often stop for bacon sandwiches...these folk usually live in the more northerly regions.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

1 minute ago, Darienne said:

bacon sandwiches

From the pictures that I have seen of the rich meaty bacon that they have in the UK, my mouth drools every time I read about someone eating one.

3 minutes ago, Darienne said:

I've read that series also...I'll bet..

Hamish Macbeth, no?

13 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

From the pictures that I have seen of the rich meaty bacon that they have in the UK, my mouth drools every time I read about someone eating one.

Hamish Macbeth, no?

Yes.

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

@Duvel 

there are only so many ways a sandwich

can look and be perfect ,

your breakfast sandwich is one of them.

an a banger to boot !

now I have to go buy some Scotch !

chilly here , and thinking of watching 

Endeavor again 

a show worth drinking along with

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

31 minutes ago, Duvel said:

I had bookmarked this recipe, which sounded about right …

HA! me slicing corn lengthwise into quarters would end up in the "never again - with blood" area of this site. I was thinking chunks like you see of 3" or so and no pre-boil with fresh sweet corn. I mean raw sweet corn is nice and the grill (in my case a charcoal grill) is just to give it that extra browning/caramelization. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Duvel said:

I had bookmarked this recipe, which sounded about right …

Hmmmm. Please don’t boil my corn for 10 minutes and then grill it. 

• Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

23 hours ago, heidih said:

HA! me slicing corn lengthwise into quarters would end up in the "never again - with blood" area of this site. I was thinking chunks like you see of 3" or so and no pre-boil with fresh sweet corn. I mean raw sweet corn is nice and the grill (in my case a charcoal grill) is just to give it that extra browning/caramelization. 

I wouldn’t worry about the shape … Me myself would go with the chunks as well. I was more referring to the composition of the miso glaze. Most recipes employ white miso, which was not the case at Wagamama (from my view) …

Edited by Duvel (log)

31 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Hmmmm. Please don’t boil my corn for 10 minutes and then grill it. 

Probably the UK corn is much sturdier than the wimpy Canadian variety 😜

As I replied to @heidih: I was just referring to the miso glaze. So … maybe boil the corn for 3-4 min, then glaze, let dry a bit and char over very high heat. 

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 11/14/2022 at 8:10 PM, Anna N said:

They are mature green peas that are allowed to dry in the field before being harvested. 
I still have in my mind, a vague recollection of the box they came in when I was growing up in England, and was hoping to find such a box on the web. I don’t see what I think I remember. 

Seen them in Fortino's in a box

5 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Seen them in Fortino's in a box

Neat. I have never been a fan.  The package I remember would have been from the late 50s when such bright packaging was still in the future. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

After a healthy breakfast we hit the road again …

C07BC045-BD80-44E2-B743-5AB983030CBE.thumb.jpeg.4f84048874c11474215e65d7bfa20b87.jpeg

A brief stop at a shopping center (where we invested our last GBP in some completely unnecessary things and some canned Haggis) …

974860C0-13AE-419B-B352-E5B3409BC544.thumb.jpeg.4881e96ee025ad3e8bafef3baa23ef24.jpeg

… we drove down to the harbour and boarded the ferry. 

75E1E75A-1814-4BDA-8CF4-FED7B8BF5EC4.thumb.jpeg.acc229ff9dee6c434566898bb1bac7fe.jpeg

Dinner was sandwiches with coronation chicken, tasty enough but not quite photogenic 🥲

Farewell, Scotland !

16FE9E2B-8844-40A2-BF2A-CBFB9AF892DB.thumb.jpeg.cdbed71aff9ab9903837bdacfcd4925c.jpeg

We arrived in Amsterdam well rested and cleared the room …

FFE1B8CD-8FB4-4A67-A5D8-D4CA76F8C017.thumb.jpeg.702a238d31951afa1edc003ec81f6715.jpeg

On our 4h drive back to Germany we made one biobreak, which little one used to get a light lunch in butcher shop located in an nondescript shopping mall near Arnhem …

199C57C1-6F05-4903-BB77-6614742BB7BE.thumb.jpeg.2d92e933d6cc66c5f1c8cee5d8cfa27d.jpeg

“Filet Americain” (read: beef tartare) with onions and egg …

E09667F0-1ED0-4D7C-A8B7-AE5593A4EEA8.thumb.jpeg.f9e8c49e18a7e01c24ad3afe4d2d965e.jpeg

Chicken wings 

91B087EC-EFB2-4315-933B-DAE98BE63552.thumb.jpeg.428070f87de50d2d8ca34634696302e9.jpeg

Salad of the day (actually fresh & tasty)

C0797D14-DEEF-4C46-847A-4E818209A647.thumb.jpeg.a9f229b44fc01a11f5401570976eecd1.jpeg

Little ones choice: warm baguette with bacon, onion and cheese …

30A6D5C3-4FBF-4D2E-BCAD-F26AACC469BA.thumb.jpeg.6e3281b3ad592f5cdf14b1659d81cf6b.jpeg

The rest of the drive went uneventful - we arrived safely home in the afternoon. House was still standing, all our fishes survived, which cannot be said of the grass in the garden (a little bit of drought this year). But - all in all - completely fine outcome !

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 9

Epilogue:

This was an unusual holiday - in many ways. Some successful, some unsuccessful planning, a lot of improvisation and going with the flow, weather ranging from great to Scottish, camping in the rain …

But there were constants as well: having a great time with the family, good food, fantastic scenery and a deeply relaxing feeling that persisted for weeks after returning. And so I would happily repeat the tour and so do the other two, as we (jokingly) yesterday discussed …

And - of course - there is this little piece of Scotland I took home to at least temporarily restore the memories of the holiday and the relaxed feeling …

131B5405-CD2D-4387-8B42-94E1A81CED8B.thumb.jpeg.333b2a79b854e6fd26ba448692aa8143.jpeg

E8DDA515-FC03-47A4-B137-700503E485AF.thumb.jpeg.a7ad88bb1dfd8c8a8f7621e146283182.jpeg

Slàinte mhath !

• Like 15
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, TicTac said:

Worth noting; that either you showed some extreme self restraint or the distillery's had meager offerings with older age statements :laugh:

They usually have, albeit overpriced.

I picked some bottles I was interested in because they are a) hard to obtain in Germany, e.g. the Benromach expression or the Glen Moray Warehouse Edition, that is not sold outside the UK; or b) I wanted to try e.g. the Caol Ila 12 yo, the Scarpa Skiren, which is supposed to be the next best thing after the discontinued 16 yo and the Edradour that is just great as it is (matured in sherry casks from day one - see the picture below the bottles). 

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

20 hours ago, Duvel said:

They usually have, albeit overpriced.

I picked some bottles I was interested in because they are a) hard to obtain in Germany, e.g. the Benromach expression or the Glen Moray Warehouse Edition, that is not sold outside the UK; or b) I wanted to try e.g. the Caol Ila 12 yo, the Scarpa Skiren, which is supposed to be the next best thing after the discontinued 16 yo and the Edradour that is just great as it is (matured in sherry casks from day one - see the picture below the bottles). 

All great choices.  And I agree, higher aged statements can really impact that MSRP.  Sometimes however you will run into really great deals to be found - recently picked up a 21 Glenfarclas for about $200 CDN from Alberta.

Heard great things about Benromach - never tried.  The Edradour is also elusive as it is not seemingly available here in Ontario.

Enjoy, they should last you a couple months, at least ;)

• Thanks 1