• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Repurposed Tools in the Chocolate Kitchen

Kerry Beal

I use a ton of things in my chocolate lab that weren't made for that purpose - and a couple of weeks ago while watching some video on the World Chocolate Masters I saw something that made me think I needed a new toy. 

A Theragun (which is a percussive massager) was sitting beside the molds one of the competitors was making so I assumed it was being used to remove bubbles. I didn't actually see it in action - but of course decided that I had better get my hands on one to try it. 

At first I purchased a much cheaper version - but it wouldn't charge - so I decided I'd go with the brand name!

I made a video this morning of her maiden voyage - and I think I'm hooked. 

Theragun vs chocolate mold

What do you have in your chocolate kitchen that was not purpose built - but works a treat for what you need it to do?

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Wow! It occurs to me that I would perhaps still have some hearing left had you acquired one of these sooner! 😂

(I am just kidding, but I used to be Kerry’s assistant when she did chocolate shows and lessons and the sound of those polycarbonate molds being banged on the table to release bubbles was quite something.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

I use a ton of things in my chocolate lab that weren't made for that purpose - and a couple of weeks ago while watching some video on the World Chocolate Masters I saw something that made me think I needed a new toy. 

A Theragun (which is a percussive massager) was sitting beside the molds one of the competitors was making so I assumed it was being used to remove bubbles. I didn't actually see it in action - but of course decided that I had better get my hands on one to try it. 

At first I purchased a much cheaper version - but it wouldn't charge - so I decided I'd go with the brand name!

What do you have in your chocolate kitchen that was not purpose built - but works a treat for what you need it to do?

Kerry, thank you for the toes.

I'm not sure my KitchenAid Precise Heat Mixing Bowl would count, since one purported function is to temper chocolate.  However the tempering function is useless but the bowl works great for melting and holding chocolate at temperature.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 2 months later...

At Kerry’s suggestion I went a found a portable massage gun to help get the bubbles out of my molds. I found this inexpensive one and figured why not give it a try. It worked like a charm. Out of 14 molded bars I only saw a few tiny air bubbles left. So happy it worked!

https://www.big5sportinggoods.com/store/details/fitrx-on-the-go-mini-massager/6125155960001

image.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I tried my electric toothbrush this morning on chocolate molds, inspired by @Kerry Beal's theragun.

Don't bother.. it made some bubbles pop but was too weak otherwise.  That said.. I'm surprised the mini massager from big-5 linked to earlier worked???  Hmmm, I get coupons from them each month, and that gizmo is way cheaper than the theragun.  Do you happen to have a video how it works?

On 1/26/2023 at 6:11 PM, kstone2016 said:

7 hours ago, jedovaty said:

I tried my electric toothbrush this morning on chocolate molds, inspired by @Kerry Beal's theragun.

Don't bother.. it made some bubbles pop but was too weak otherwise.  That said.. I'm surprised the mini massager from big-5 linked to earlier worked???  Hmmm, I get coupons from them each month, and that gizmo is way cheaper than the theragun.  Do you happen to have a video how it works?

See above - post of Nov 11 - the gizmo would work exactly the same way. 

Great, thanks for the clarification!  Your original post states it was a "much cheaper" version and wouldn't charge, so to me that reads like it never worked and I've no idea what "much cheaper" is.  The big-5 unit linked to by kstone2016 is 20usd, vs the theragun which is over 160usd for me as of this post.

• Like 1

I bought the Big5 mini massager, $20 us. It seems to work fine. I thought it wasn't charger because i expected the lights to change, but it seems to be charged and working.

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

On 2/13/2023 at 5:59 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

The cooler keeps the finished chocolate at the temperature I want it.

Do you worry about the humidity since the wine cooler isn't humidity controlled?

I also purchased the FitRX Mini Massage gun.  I don't live near a Big5, but found it at Walmart for delivery .  Used it this past week and loved it.  Like Kerry said, it's so much quieter and works well.  I used it for molded chocolates, hemispheres and domes.  Also appreciated using it after capping the molds.  Not only does it get the bubbles out, but it smooths the bottoms at the same time.  Thanks @Kerry Beal for the idea!

Edited by GRiker (log)
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, GRiker said:

Do you worry about the humidity since the wine cooler isn't humidity controlled?

I worried initially but humidity has never been a problem.  The temperature is 54F.  What with the vicissitudes of life I haven't done any chocolate in a couple years.  There are pieces still in there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/7/2023 at 6:47 PM, Rajala said:

I did it on a bonbon mold though!

Didn't the bonbons jumped out, tilted or something?

I was thinking about piping (filling) on a vibration table, bcs I usually face a little hill in my bonbon. This would allow me to make perfectly thin bottoms :3

• 7 months later...
On 11/11/2022 at 3:06 PM, Kerry Beal said:

I have not attempted chocolate work in quite some while, however I wondered if something like this litter mixer would be helpful to get rid of bubbles?

(eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

30 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I have not attempted chocolate work in quite some while, however I wondered if something like this litter mixer would be helpful to get rid of bubbles?

(eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

Not sure - from my days in the lab - I don't know whether the action is quite right with that vs a vibrating table. 

• Thanks 1