• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mashed century egg and eggplant

gfron1

I've completely fallen in love with this dish, but the variations I'm finding online don't seem quite right. I'm eating this at my favorite Szechuan restaurant, and most online are saying Hunan. My version is a little bit sweet with virtually no spice/heat. Can someone suggest a recipe or the pinyin that might help me search for a recipe better?

Thanks

Screen Shot 2022-11-10 at 2.26.54 PM.png

The characters on the picture (though incomplete) say qiézǐ pídàn, the first word meaning eggplant, the second century egg.

I have not found a recipe specific to this, but for the aubergine maybe you could have a look at the (usually cold-served) steamed aubergine dish called liángbàn qiézǐ (凉拌茄子), and then top it with the century egg ?

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 1

The dish which comes to my mind most closely matching your description is indeed (qié zi pí 茄子皮蛋dàn), a relatively mild Sichuan dish, usually employing just a little green chilli pepper. It also makes use of sesame paste, which may account for the sweetness you mention.

I have recipes in Chinese for the dish and would be happy to summarise the ingredients and general method, if you think it is what you are after. Just let me know.

Alternatively, search for 茄子皮蛋 on the search engine of your choice and it should list Chinese language recipes (with pictures). If any appeals to you as being close to what you are looking for, send me the address.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 4

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

18 hours ago, liuzhou said:

The dish which comes to my mind most closely matching your description is indeed (qié zi pí 茄子皮蛋dàn), a relatively mild Sichuan dish, usually employing just a little green chilli pepper. It also makes use of sesame paste, which may account for the sweetness you mention.

I have recipes in Chinese for the dish and woud be happy to summarise the ingredients and general method, if you think it is what you are after. Just let me know.

Alternatively, search for 茄子皮蛋 on the search engine of your choice and it should list Chinese language recipes (with pictures). If any appeals to you as being close to what you are looking for, send me the address.

That opened a whole world of recipes for me. Thank you. Let me dig around and see if I can't find the closest recipe and I'll circle back if I need more help.

• Like 1