• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Am looking for a good book for a novice chocolatier

Chocolate_touu

The often-labeled "bible" for chocolate-making is Peter Greweling's Chocolates and Confections.  If you prefer a simpler approach, he has a Chocolates and Confections at Home.  The first book listed explains all the science.  Ewald Notter's The Art of the Chocolatier has, in my opinion, a better selection of recipes.  Both experts provide mostly the same science in their books.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Jim D. said:

The often-labeled "bible" for chocolate-making is Peter Greweling's Chocolates and Confections.  If you prefer a simpler approach, he has a Chocolates and Confections at Home.  The first book listed explains all the science.  Ewald Notter's The Art of the Chocolatier has, in my opinion, a better selection of recipes.  Both experts provide mostly the same science in their books.

Thank you so much ,I was going to buy "Fine chocolate gold" then I hesitated because it's a little expensiveimage.png.b9d4e49a38e0c33d4eaa37f537059a87.png

10 minutes ago, Chocolate_touu said:

Thank you so much ,I was going to buy "Fine chocolate gold" then I hesitated because it's a little expensiveimage.png.b9d4e49a38e0c33d4eaa37f537059a87.png

Add that one later!

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Chocolate_touu said:

I didn't mention that one, but obviously it is another bible.  It has far more recipes than the two books I mentioned previously.  It shows that it is a compilation of Wybauw's previous books in being somewhat disorganized, but it has all the science--and is really helpful in issues like shelf life, use of various sugars.  Best of all perhaps, it has an Aw reading for recipes.  True, the reading will vary with each person's version of a recipe, but that is helpful information for those who do not have a water activity meter.

56 minutes ago, Jim D. said:

I didn't mention that one, but obviously it is another bible.  It has far more recipes than the two books I mentioned previously.  It shows that it is a compilation of Wybauw's previous books in being somewhat disorganized, but it has all the science--and is really helpful in issues like shelf life, use of various sugars.  Best of all perhaps, it has an Aw reading for recipes.  True, the reading will vary with each person's version of a recipe, but that is helpful information for those who do not have a water activity meter.

Thank you so much , i want to start my chocolate making journey and i don't know where to start , i already know like the tempering and some basics.

2 minutes ago, Chocolate_touu said:

Thank you so much , i want to start my chocolate making journey and i don't know where to start , i already know like the tempering and some basics.

Just my opinion, but I would recommend the first Greweling book I mentioned, and if you can afford it, the Notter book as well.  Then, as Kerry said, later the Wybauw Gold book.  If it's in your budget, I have found the Savour School videos very helpful; Kirsten Tibballs is exacting but not fanatical and has tons of good ideas.  There is nothing quite like watching a process that you have only read about previously.  You can subscribe for a year (note that not all videos are about chocolate).  You can also find some free Youtube videos with Kirsten; they would be a good place to start.  It's very important to use recipes that are "balanced" (that is, amount of liquids, sugars, cocoa butter, other fats); otherwise you may be discouraged when your ganache separates or your finished filling refuses to crystallize and you don't know the reasons for these issues.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Jim D. said:

Just my opinion, but I would recommend the first Greweling book I mentioned, and if you can afford it, the Notter book as well.  Then, as Kerry said, later the Wybauw Gold book.  If it's in your budget, I have found the Savour School videos very helpful; Kirsten Tibballs is exacting but not fanatical and has tons of good ideas.  There is nothing quite like watching a process that you have only read about previously.  You can subscribe for a year (note that not all videos are about chocolate).  You can also find some free Youtube videos with Kirsten; they would be a good place to start.  It's very important to use recipes that are "balanced" (that is, amount of liquids, sugars, cocoa butter, other fats); otherwise you may be discouraged when your ganache separates or your finished filling refuses to

Just my opinion, but I would recommend the first Greweling book I mentioned, and if you can afford it, the Notter book as well.  Then, as Kerry said, later the Wybauw Gold book.  If it's in your budget, I have found the Savour School videos very helpful; Kirsten Tibballs is exacting but not fanatical and has tons of good ideas.  There is nothing quite like watching a process that you have only read about previously.  You can subscribe for a year (note that not all videos are about chocolate).  You can also find some free Youtube videos with Kirsten; they would be a good place to start.  It's very important to use recipes that are "balanced" (that is, amount of liquids, sugars, cocoa butter, other fats); otherwise you may be discouraged when your ganache separates or your finished filling refuses to crystallize and you don't know the reasons for these issues. crystallize and you don't know the reasons for these issues.

You gave me so many ideas that definitely i will benefit from , thank you so much . 

Edited by Chocolate_touu (log)

1 hour ago, Chocolate_touu said:

You gave me so many ideas that definitely i will benefit from , thank you so much . 

An idea I didn't mention, but it is really helpful:  Read through the threads on chocolate on this forum.  Time-consuming, but when people ask me where I learned to make chocolates, I refer them to the many threads there are.  It's an amazing resource.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Jim D. said:

An idea I didn't mention, but it is really helpful:  Read through the threads on chocolate on this forum.  Time-consuming, but when people ask me where I learned to make chocolates, I refer them to the many threads there are.  It's an amazing resource.

Yes this forum is very informative and people are so adorable , i will do it for sure , thank you so much .

• Like 2