• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

I grew up with, but was deprived of Turkish Delight. My parents ate it, but it was deemed too rich (expensive) and sophisticated for me and my siblings. When I was finally able to sample some, I was so disappointed. Some over-sweet jelly stinking of flowers . I'm still as unimpressed. I did try it many years later in actual Turkey just in case - no better.

It was nearly as traumatic as my introduction to Coca Cola. I had heard of this heavenly concoction that came from America and epitomised a mysterious but fascinating dream world of rock 'n'roll and the big screen. It wasn't widely available in the 1950s UK. We were on holiday in Scotland and, as usual, it was pouring so my parents took us to a show of some kind. There they had Coca Cola and to make up for us missing the beach, my father bought my brother and I a bottle each. The extravagance!

My brother loved it  and I hated it. Sugary water! Heavenly it wasn't. Still can't stand the stuff.

liuzhou

liuzhou

I grew up with, but was deprived of Turkish Delight. My parents ate it, but it was deemed too rich (expensive) and sophisticated for me and my siblings. When I was finally able to sample some, I was so disappointed. Some over-sweet jelly stinking of flowers . I'm still as unimpressed. I did try it many years later in actual Turkey just in case - no better.

It was nearly as traumatic as my introduction to Coca Cola. I had heard of this heavenly concoction that came from America and epitomised a mysterious but fascinating dream world of rock 'n'roll and the big screen. It wasn't widely available in the 1950s UK. We were on holiday in Scotland and, as usual, it was pouring so my parents to us to a show of some kind. There they had Coca Cola and to make up for us missing the beach, my father bought my brother and I a bottle each. The extravagance!

My brother loved it  and I hated it. Sugary water! Heavenly it wasn't. Still can't stand the stuff.

liuzhou

liuzhou

I grew up with, but deprived of Turkish Delight. My parents ate it, but it was deemed too rich (expensive) and sophisticated for me and my siblings. When I was finally able to sample some, I was so disappointed. Some over-sweet jelly stinking of flowers . I'm still as unimpressed. I did try it many years later in actual Turkey just in case - no better.

It was nearly as traumatic as my introduction to Coca Cola. I had heard of this heavenly concoction that came from America and epitomised a mysterious but fascinating dream world of rock 'n'roll and the big screen. It wasn't widely available in the 1950s UK. We were on holiday in Scotland and, as usual, it was pouring so my parents to us to a show of some kind. There they had Coca Cola and to make up for us missing the beach, my father bought my brother and I a bottle each. The extravagance!