• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

So Good Magazine - Chocolate

ChristysConfections

Hi All,

I am wondering if many people around these forums subscribe to or have several issues of So Good magazine? For those that do, would you consider it a worthy investment, especially if one's interest/area of focus is chocolates and confections? Are there particular issues you have collected that have a heavier focus on chocolatier techniques and recipes?

I am looking for some more educational resources to add to my library of professional chocolate making tomes.

- Christy -

"My rule is to welcome you with hospitality and to send you away in peace." - The Deserts Fathers

I advertise in So Good - so I get copies of each issue.

It's not necessarily chocolate and confection focused - quite a lot is pastry as well. So I'm not sure having every issue would be helpful.

I'd have to dig through my issues to see which were more chocolate focused. 

Hi,

so to respond to your question so good is not necessarily chocolate based magazine. It’s generally the elite of the sweet world that is chosen by the editors. Who is the attraction of the season in pastry, cakes,…

i would suggest saving your money and buying proper publications or subscriptions like Kris’s Harvey, Melissa coppel, the new Callebaut editions,…

i hope this helps.

Kerry and Alleguede,

Thanks for the feedback!

I figured that the content is not confection-dominant, but I saw some issues with contributors like Susanna Yoon and Melissa Coppel and thought maybe there were volumes with a chocolate-heavy focus. I do like pastry and it would be fun to have those recipes to play with, but it's true that I would not utilize that content as much. I bought the So Good Recipes 3 and then one of the recipes I actually bought if for has an error in it and is missing the amount of sucrose needed for the recipe, lol. I should probably let them know.

I do have the Kriss Harvey subscription and enjoy it. The new Callebaut editions will be on their way soon. I have heard mixed things about Melissa Coppel in my circles - I believe it is largely because some of her content is created without a regard for shelf life. However, her classes and recipes look fun. If you subscribe and find it valuable, do let me know! Maybe I will save up for a subscription. 

- Christy -

"My rule is to welcome you with hospitality and to send you away in peace." - The Deserts Fathers

• 2 weeks later...

A brief follow up on this:

@Kerry BealIf at any point you are able to spare the time, would you possibly be willing to check your copy of So Good Vol 18? As aforementioned, I purchased the recipes 3 book. It incluse Susanna Yoon's recipe for Oolong Soba Cha caramel, but there is no sucrose listed in the ingredients. I am wondering if you would be able to check if issue #18 actually has the sucrose in the recipe. I realize I can pretty easily take the tea infusion and incorporate it into another caramel recipe, but hoped I might try it as originally written first.

- Christy -

8 hours ago, ChristysConfections said:

A brief follow up on this:

@Kerry BealIf at any point you are able to spare the time, would you possibly be willing to check your copy of So Good Vol 18? As aforementioned, I purchased the recipes 3 book. It incluse Susanna Yoon's recipe for Oolong Soba Cha caramel, but there is no sucrose listed in the ingredients. I am wondering if you would be able to check if issue #18 actually has the sucrose in the recipe. I realize I can pretty easily take the tea infusion and incorporate it into another caramel recipe, but hoped I might try it as originally written first.

Sugar missing there too! You need to write to Grupo Vilbo and let them know the error. I'll find out who you need to contact. 

@Alleguede found a very similar recipe that used 355 grams of cream and that used 215 grams of sugar. I found one somewhat similar with 350 grams of sugar. Either way you are going to cook it after to 106º C so the water content will be the same. 

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

Sugar missing there too! You need to write to Grupo Vilbo and let them know the error. I'll find out who you need to contact. 

@Alleguede found a very similar recipe that used 355 grams of cream and that used 215 grams of sugar. I found one somewhat similar with 350 grams of sugar. Either way you are going to cook it after to 106º C so the water content will be the same. 

@Kerry Beal When I discovered the omission, I emailed the general contact on the So Good website with the information. I have not received any word from them so far. If you have a better or more direct email, I will be happy to reach out to them again using the updated contact information.

To you and @Alleguede I appreciate the recommended sugar amounts!

- Christy -

On 11/11/2022 at 1:14 PM, ChristysConfections said:

I have heard mixed things about Melissa Coppel in my circles - I believe it is largely because some of her content is created without a regard for shelf life.

This is amazing to me. I don't have her subscription but have attended a few workshops with her and have a number of her recipes. My critique of her is that she over-relies on additives that lend shelf life, which, while good for sales is not so good for the human body. Specifically I'm referring to her use of sorbitol. I know she was strongly challenged by a student in a workshop once so maybe that has changed.

and FWIW, I get So Good each issue. I'd say 10% is chocolate and confection, and most of it is stuff that we've seen elsewhere including the chefs' social media.

Edited by gfron1 (log)

1 hour ago, gfron1 said:

This is amazing to me. I don't have her subscription but have attended a few workshops with her and have a number of her recipes. My critique of her is that she over-relies on additives that lend shelf life, which, while good for sales is not so good for the human body. Specifically I'm referring to her use of sorbitol. I know she was strongly challenged by a student in a workshop once so maybe that has changed.

and FWIW, I get So Good each issue. I'd say 10% is chocolate and confection, and most of it is stuff that we've seen elsewhere including the chefs' social media.

@gfron1 It's good to have another perspective! Thank-you. Maybe it was at an earlier time in Coppel's career that my acquaintance had that experience. Or perhaps the class they took was created with the intention of making creative pieces that are meant to be consumed quickly. I haven't talked  to them in a long time so not sure if I will be able to follow up. I will be sure not to write her recipes off. I also appreciate your note about confectionary content in the So Good magazines.

- Christy -

Here you go - 

Dear Kerry;

Thank you very much for the notification of the error.
I have passed it on to my colleagues of the Content Department and they tell
me that the chef has sent us the correction which you can find below.
We still have to add the errata for future reissues of both publications.

Directions: 
Décor and shell with tempered Valrhona Caraibe 66%.
Bring the cream to a scald. Steep soba cha and oolong tea leaves into the
cream and cover with plastic. Steep for 20 minutes. Rescale the infusion to
355 grams. Add glucose and Fleur De Sel. Make dry caramel with the sugar
amount until dark amber. Deglaze with cream and cook to 108 degrees Celsius.
Once cooled slightly. Whisk in the butter.
Pipe into the shells and set overnight.
Seal with tempered chocolate.
You rescale the cream infusion to 355g. The sugar is also 355g. 
PS. After making the cream infusion, you will notice that the soba cha and
tea absorb a lot of cream, which is why we rescale the cream infusion but
start with a larger amount in the beginning

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 11/9/2022 at 4:31 AM, ChristysConfections said:

Hi All,

I am wondering if many people around these forums subscribe to or have several issues of So Good magazine? For those that do, would you consider it a worthy investment, especially if one's interest/area of focus is chocolates and confections? Are there particular issues you have collected that have a heavier focus on chocolatier techniques and recipes?

I am looking for some more educational resources to add to my library of professional chocolate making tomes.

I have several of the so good magazines and I would say the books that have all the recipes are better investment than the actual magazines. Also pastry chef magazines or is it pastry arts magazine, cant remember but that one is also good and they are all digital copies of every magazine they have done for like $20 a year.