• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Better quality pancake mixes that won't break the bank?

Sid Post

the nutritional balance of wheat flour and buckwheat flour is rather a bit even.

I don't put a lot of stock in the livestrong sites - they're selling too much stuff,,,  but they did tackle the subject with some factual information.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/463615-buckwheat-vs-wheat-nutrition/

to me buckwheat pancakes are like wholewheat pancakes - same as refined white flour pancakes, just taste different.

I ate a lot of them while visiting/staying with my grandparents - which is a nostalgia issue indeed - my grandfather was diabetic and buckwheat products were, at the time, a dietary recommendation....

buckwheat pancakes and black strap molasses - the breakfast of pioneers . . .

We used to spend time in a high Sierra village with one cafe that sufficed for breakfast m, lunch and dinner.   Their pancakes were superb.   I asked for their recipe and was shown a sack of Krusteze.    It’s been my secret weapon ever since.   Sure. I don’t eat or serve them 7/31, but their “just add water” formula certainly simplifies your short term need.   

• Like 4

eGullet member #80.

• 2 weeks later...

I made a batch of the BRM buckwheat pancakes.

I used melted butter then oil

my flap=jacling skills are seriously rusty.

the first 4 were undercooked.  the second 4 were better

but not picture worthy

tha PC's had good buckwheat flavor 

and I doubt they could be improved very much w a bespoke 

batter.

I used a fair amount of butter between the 4 PC, and they were tasty

but they needed syrup , of your favorite kind and more butter 

conclusion :  PC's are really about the butter and syrup , or preserves 

Ill make 1/2 bath from now on  ( 4 PC's ) 

and find some marmalade or something like that 

to help them slide right down.

I would say , you want buckwheat PC's

this mix will work for you as a starter.