• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

IndyRob

IndyRob

Sorry if that came off as harsh, but I just think that when people try to elevate traditional staples, it just doesn't work.  If it did, then that new way would become the new traditional staple.

Now, it's one thing if you're truly going for a true variation - say, by using buckwheat.  But that would be, in my view, a buckwheat pancake.  But I don't think people (at least in America which I think is where we're talking about if the subject is pancakes) are really looking for multigrain examples.

I looked around and Denny's does offer a '9 grain' pancake (IHOP and Perkins apparently do not offer anything similar).  But it exists among all the Banana or Chocolate Chip varieties.  They all seem to be more about the buttermilk than the flour.

Edit:  I guess I'm just feeling protective of the traditional American pancake.  Actually, I prefer crepes, myself.  And if you want to whip your egg whites to create an incredibly fluffy pancake, I won't argue about calling it a pancake.  But it's not really in the tradition, is it?

IndyRob

IndyRob

Sorry if that came off as harsh, but I just think that when people try to elevate traditional staples, it just doesn't work.  If it did, then that new way would become the new traditional staple.

Now, it's one thing if you're truly going for a true variation - say, by using buckwheat.  But that would be, in my view, a buckwheat pancake.  But I don't think people (at least in America which I think is where we're talking about if the subject is pancakes) are really looking for multigrain examples.

I looked around and Denny's does offer a '9 grain' pancake (IHOP and Perkins apparently do not offer anything similar).  But it exists among all the Banana or Chocolate Chip varieties.  They all seem to be more about the buttermilk than the flour.