• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cleaning a cast-iron waffle-maker

DaisyParham

Question from my wife this time as she's realized what a resource this place can be: We've got a cast iron waffle maker designed to use on a stove. I don't have a picture handy, but it's a round hinged deal with a base that sits on the burner. The problem is cleaning it and / or keeping it clean. It winds up a gloppy mess and nobody wants to use the thing. Any of you have one and how do you use it? Thanks!

1 hour ago, DaisyParham said:

Question from my wife this time as she's realized what a resource this place can be: We've got a cast iron waffle maker designed to use on a stove. I don't have a picture handy, but it's a round hinged deal with a base that sits on the burner. The problem is cleaning it and / or keeping it clean. It winds up a gloppy mess and nobody wants to use the thing. Any of you have one and how do you use it? Thanks!

I have a cast iron aebleskiver pan which is sort of the same thing without the hinge.  I keep it clean by not using it very often.  The best I can suggest is keep your pan well seasoned, be very careful getting the waffle pieces out, and don't wash it.

My waffle maker is non-stick.  I don't use it very often either.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

cast iron has to be well seasoned before it is non-stick

fry your bacon in it - flip so both sides get hot and the fat soaks in.

wipe dry, do not wash.

for cast iron fry pans, etc., I've found just cooking fatty stuff in them is a lot faster to 'well seasoned' than the oiling in the oven thing.

Yes, and if it has some sticky stuff in there, try to get it out without using any soap - I like a brush with stiff bristles for that.

Always back on the heat after you've used/cleaned it.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Please post a pic of your iron opened so we can see the inside.

Is it a true waffle iron or a jaffle iron?

JohnT

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

Is is an old cast iron waffle iron, like this  cast iron collector .  I bought mine used, took off the handles and put it on a grill at a high temp to get off the old seasoning, then seasoned it like you would normal cast iron  ( many thin coats over a few days ).  Then just be sure to have enough oil or butter in the mix to avoid sticking.

12 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I have a cast iron aebleskiver pan which is sort of the same thing without the hinge.  I keep it clean by not using it very often.  The best I can suggest is keep your pan well seasoned, be very careful getting the waffle pieces out, and don't wash it.

My waffle maker is non-stick.  I don't use it very often either.

Our Aebleskiver pan hasn't been used in thirty years and it looks great! My husband's mother came from a long line of Danish aebleskivers and she gave all her kids lovely cast iron pans. We did have a waffle iron that was quite old and well seasoned and we went through a waffle phase. Basically after each use it just got wiped out with a paper towel and a little oil. Eventually, and this is true, it languished in the basement and became a home for small critters. I'm pretty sure we don't have it any more, but you never know what's in a dark basement, especially if you have a husband who is phobic about throwing out anything.

• Haha 2