• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lanzarote

BonVivant

Concervas/tinned seafood
lr7h2OK.jpg

Semi hard goat's cheese and local spicy sauce.
tC95ADw.jpg

Jamón, chorizo and queso fresco/young cheese.
9AQamTp.jpg

The conservas are for the coming days.
UnGQFrR.jpg

- Approaching the landing strip. Volcanos e.ve.ry.where. One of the amazing approaches.

- Bienvenidos!

- Vinhos y mariscos frescas bliss awaits.

- My little home for the next 2 weeks. Not gonna cook anything besides boiling eggs and water for coffee, however.

- Staying in a village in rural Haria, a green oasis and also the highest area on the island. Much of the island is extremely arid and brown. Golden hour across the street from my lodging.

• Like 8

Lanzarotian/Lanzaroteños volcanic wine

zzjRUPl.jpg

One of the things I enjoy in Portugal and Spain is eating conservas. Octopus is the first tin I open.

onL4ex2.jpg

Tender mackerel

NMGA45K.jpg

Hard goat’s cheese from Gran Canaria island. Most things are shipped or flown in from other Canary islands (and also mainland Spain), even drinking water. The cheese is hard and goaty, a bit like Sicilan percorino. Lovely.

N6cOhTv.jpg

Parrotfish is very typical in waters round these parts.
XMAsvPn.jpg

As it's extremely arid here the goats love the terrain and they thrive. Lanzaroteños eat goat meat at home, a lot. It's less common to see goat on menu, so when you see it you know you just have to try it. I have eaten it many times at home so I know what to expect (bones, fat, not too much meat, tastes good!).
Gih7Fwe.jpg

Sizzling garlic
7rkUvye.jpg

Typical red and green sauces of Canary Islands. They are multi-purpose mojo rojo and mojo verde. Every household and restaurant has their own recipe.
l0wq8KH.jpg

Almost no meal is without papas arrugadas (wrinkled potatoes, cooked in sea water that gives them a thin white-ish salt crust).
rV1ebRn.jpg

My table

XTMAqtJ.jpg

Las comidas típicas de Lanzarote

xoCHIxC.jpg

- Wild cactuses are full of fruit at the moment. I ate them in Morocco in December, also in season there then.

- They do have cows after all? The sign looks a bit different...

- A glimpse of the sea (Arrieta village)

- House on the lava rocks (Arrieta village)

- The good Lanzarotean life. (Arrietta village). Women who like to fish (as a hobby), this seems to be very normal here, unlike at home.

- Rain in the valley below, seen from my walk on the trail high above.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Sparkling wine exists but I don't do wine tours so I can't buy it at the winery. Finally found one, in a local shop just down the road from my lodging.
dTtOEMk.jpg

NwttSGJ.jpg

Got back at peak time for a meal, no free table so I got some things "para llevar"/to go/takeaway.
mQ4GPJ9.jpg

U6B945i.jpg

Mostly prawns, some surimi (the partner ate it) and some mussels.
B6hxJT4.jpg

My half of the croquettes (fish and spinach) and tortilla Española.
nMDEW2Y.jpg

- Saturday is "market day", the only day of the week my base village gets loads of tourists. Long-timers come by car from other parts of the island with big bags for the cheese and fresh produce.

- I'm only interested in the cheese/bread/produce stalls. It's a tiny market and these stalls have only a few items. I will get the hard cheeses on next market day to take home.

- Fruits and produce come from own gardens.

- An interesting looking herb (?).

- German pensioners/long-timers all got the chard. I would, too. Fresh and high quality looking Mangold/chard.

- Everyone has multiple fruit trees and vegetables in their gardens here. Including these, which they also sell at the local market this morning.

7iNZ2AH.jpg

Taking a break after 2 hours walking up the mountains. Pastries I got from a market stall earlier. Chocolate and raisin rolls. And "Pretzel".
iPOFZDB.jpg

Such an amazing island for volcano enthusiasts. Once deemed an "ugly island". Now Spain's former rivals, back in the Age of Looting ...cough... "discovery"/"conquest", are all here and loving it! Lanzarote, you are a nature's work of art to me! The island has over 300 volcanoes it's possible to see them in almost every direction. And to be able to walk right up to the craters is something special!

• Like 6
  • Delicious 2

Orzola is Lanzarote's northernmost village. Most people go there to take the boat to a nearby island.

A short menu
LcE5Fdq.jpg

Limpets are served just like I had many times on Madeira, with butter and parsley.
7KrB5XK.jpg

Seared cubes of tuna
Ys5QlUM.jpg

I think sea bream
Cq6jpIb.jpg

- My base village's plaza. Traditionally the doors and windows can only be painted in shades of green and brown. But in coastal villages I also see blue. Bougainvillea is everywhere. Always lovely and a common sight in warmer climes.

- The lava reached the sea here. The best beach is an empty one.

- The currents here are notoriously strong. Where it's safe to swim you see (lava) steps and stairs.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

A type of razor clams (shorter and wider than the usual jackknife).
ZCHU4Uk.jpg

Good sardines, Spain sources from Croatia. Most of the time they come from Spanish territory.
dBpQn1m.jpg

Canarian/Tenerifean black pork. The partner says "told you, we should have gone to Tenerife". Met a Belgian pensioner at a bus stop who whinged bitterly about Lanzarote and how "everything is better and easier on Tenerife". Here on Lanzarote it takes half a day just to travel by bus for 12 kilometres (each way and back. The bus goes only once in a while.
gbQmB7o.jpg

Tender octopus
NY1uEqy.jpg

Kitchen
scmpHBa.jpg

- Conservas aisle! Tomatoes.

- From a recent walk in my area: volcanic farming. My base village seen from the mirador. The trail to the mirador leads you right through terraced farms. Another mirador high on a cliff. From here you can see another part of the island and clearly how arid and barren it is, unlike in the north, where I'm based.

@Kim Shook, thanks!

• Like 9
  • Delicious 2

Some snacks after a 5 hour walk. It's a simple local bar in the village's plaza. We went there for the ice cold beer. October is still so hot here.
tgl9r0O.jpg

wiCyPLU.jpg

Fried cheese
fwgMHb6.jpg

Tuna croquettes
zZIJKfU.jpg

Back at my lodging shortly after...
Goat's cheese from neighbouring island Fuerteventura. The mojo picon is not "spicy" at all. Something must have gone wrong here.
Zg0tE8D.jpg

Squid in sauce ("salsa americana"). The sauce is nice and spicy, unlike the worthless mojo picon above.
F3cKS5O.jpg

h1U1BjU.jpg

Sliced roe sac, fish species not specified.
DEnFRdY.jpg

Radishes from a market stall. Still full of soil and ugly, best of all they are sharp and flavourful like they should be. Supermarket radishes have been modified so much that the sharpness is gone.
124TRPf.jpg

FYI, re sardinas/sardinillas, the species is not disclosed. Simply "small sardines", as stated on back of the tin under ingredients.

- When to they fire up the BBQ? Probably during golden hour, surely can't be sitting outside near a fire in this heat. It's 29C/84F today.

- 3 volcanoes seen from this part of my base village alone. The crater of the first one from left is visible. That's the one I walked to first.

- Right outside my front door. Streets here are clean and calm. Meanwhile at home, a high-tax "western country", our national decorations are rubbish and dog crap.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

On 10/13/2022 at 9:37 PM, BonVivant said:

Lanzarotian/Lanzaroteños volcanic wine

zzjRUPl.jpg

One of the things I enjoy in Portugal and Spain is eating conservas. Octopus is the first tin I open.

onL4ex2.jpg

Tender mackerel

NMGA45K.jpg

Hard goat’s cheese from Gran Canaria island. Most things are shipped or flown in from other Canary islands (and also mainland Spain), even drinking water. The cheese is hard and goaty, a bit like Sicilan percorino. Lovely.

N6cOhTv.jpg

Parrotfish is very typical in waters round these parts.
XMAsvPn.jpg

As it's extremely arid here the goats love the terrain and they thrive. Lanzaroteños eat goat meat at home, a lot. It's less common to see goat on menu, so when you see it you know you just have to try it. I have eaten it many times at home so I know what to expect (bones, fat, not too much meat, tastes good!).
Gih7Fwe.jpg

Sizzling garlic
7rkUvye.jpg

Typical red and green sauces of Canary Islands. They are multi-purpose mojo rojo and mojo verde. Every household and restaurant has their own recipe.
l0wq8KH.jpg

Almost no meal is without papas arrugadas (wrinkled potatoes, cooked in sea water that gives them a thin white-ish salt crust).
rV1ebRn.jpg

My table

XTMAqtJ.jpg

Las comidas típicas de Lanzarote

xoCHIxC.jpg

- Wild cactuses are full of fruit at the moment. I ate them in Morocco in December, also in season there then.

- They do have cows after all? The sign looks a bit different...

- A glimpse of the sea (Arrieta village)

- House on the lava rocks (Arrieta village)

- The good Lanzarotean life. (Arrietta village). Women who like to fish

OK I'm in Portugal next week, so I will go in for the tinned fish! And Lannzarote has moved up on the list of places to visit!

• Like 1

Not exactly like the photo on the package. Contains no grainy bits and no squid or any species classified under cephalopoda. It's like a thick stew/soup with vegs and mussels.
8R3Xb6X.jpg

Squid in own ink. I'm partial to cuttlefish but squid is fine, too.
i4xF6Bh.jpg

OJx36Rb.jpg

Wine from this island. "Semi sweet" but not too, and quite palatable. I would describe it as "Feinherb", which refers to German Riesling classifications in the system of quality. But of course, it's nothing like (Mosel) Feinherb Riesling, which is complex and sublime. El Grifo is one of the most recognised wine producer on Lanzarote.
crqtm4f.jpg

On this day we did a walk called "Camino de los Gracioseros", which starts in Ye village 2 hours on foot from my base village. To our horror, the entire way down there were only loose lava rocks of all sizes, and also razor sharp rocks, with absolutely nothing to hold on to, and is completely open on one side. All interest in photography was suddenly diminished. I put all my energy into looking at the rocks and be mindful of where I put my feet down. On the way back up I saw a handful of people wearing flimsy fashionable sandals. How did they do it? They must be experienced and highly confident trail walkers.

It was a big relief to finally touch the flat ground. Took us 1 hour of walking very slowly and mindfully to get off the trail. Another half an hour to the beach. Just came down from up there! The best beach is an empty one.

Took only half the time to get back up. More people were coming down by then, some of whom asked how much farther and if we were mountain goats (for making it back to the start of the trail so quickly). Views from the start of the camino. La Graciosa island is visible from here.

Ye is a tiny village at the foot of the omnipresent volcano La Corona. All the tourists come by car, we use the bus and/or walk. Ye village is so rural there are only a couple of bus departures a day. In this photo you can see the typical architecture of Lanzarote... houses are in cube style, starch white, and the roof is flat. Some newer houses have loped roofs, but tiles are rare. Oh, here comes my bus, only 15 minutes late (quite normal).

Ye has one restaurant and serves only meat dishes. Tiny potatoes grown in the village. At home they would bin this kind of tiny and 'ugly' potatoes.

ny5wRsV.jpg

Tender goat. Leg meat, mostly.
90oyXDC.jpg

Pluma cut of 100% Iberico pork.
9ksoH6I.jpg

@Paul Bacino, most tourists take a lunch or coffee break here in Haria (ah-REE-ah) on a half day side trip to the north. I wanted to base up here for the tranquillity and to do walks in the area. We don't want the crowds and noise of the pulsating tourist resorts in the south where most (package) tourists stay so Haria is perfect.

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Like 7
  • Delicious 3

Almost every jamón you get in Spain and the Canary islands tastes much better than anything money can buy at home. I'm here for a limited time so I try to eat it as often as I can.
dDHwBkk.jpg

Mussels in (spicy) vinegar, "escabeche". The beautiful colour comes from paprika.
uvIKYdY.jpg

Every time I try to sit outside (my lodging's front garden) I get butchered by mosquitoes and other biting bugs, even through clothes.
gbxiusC.jpg

Day trip to nearby island La Graciosa. Food after biking around the island.
"Broken eggs" with jamón Ibérico.
6fdivSt.jpg

OcKzi7I.jpg

Meaty and firm chunks of white fish. "Churros de pescado" is a common tapa on the island. So good.
RHL3NPH.jpg

Odd that they have "beef teriyaki" at this little tapas restaurant. Not my choice, but the dish isn't bad at all.
pVOUlr6.jpg

Don't like sweet things but I have a soft spot for custardy, wobbly flans (but not Mexican, which is much too firm for my taste).
mcZBo9T.jpg

sfJjg8s.jpg

Some photos from La Graciosa island:
- The road is sooooo bad. And when you get off it you have sandy paths like this, which is also not good. Easy to slip on loose sand. My bikes in front of a volcano. There are only 2 communities on the island, this one is where the port is located. Streets in the villages are not paved, as are other roads around the island. Typical island houses.

- Why tourists are hated around the world. This creature suddenly appears in my photo. OK, I can move or wait until his broadcasting show is over. The very moment he arrives he jumps on a dune and cruelly tramples on the vegetation, kicking it and flattening it to find a comfortable spot! Signs everywhere telling you to respect the natural state of the environment. After flattening the plant he starts his various fake posing positions, and right on cue the girlfriend makes a series of photos. No respect at home and no respect when abroad. Some countries charge foreign tourists an extortionate fee to enter some sites and some of that money goes into hiring rangers or guards to keep an eye on tourists.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 4
  • Sad 2

@Duvel, so cute and clever!

- - - -

The small potatoes they use for Papas Arrugadas in the Canaries are waxy type. These days they are most likely shipped in from Tenerife and/or Gran Canaria. Plenty of people on Lanzarote grow potatoes for own consumption but no longer enough to go round since mass tourism started in the 60's.

csV5Ztm.jpg

3 sauces. I didn't touch the white one, fearing it might be mayonnaise. You always get the standard mojo verde and mojo picon for potatoes and whatever else you order.

GJuCBOR.jpg

Limpets

9imGlDZ.jpg

Cherne/wreckfish is one of the most common fish in Canarian waters. Very meaty, flesh is firm.
kgZ3IEG.jpg

Only half a squid! 😅
nRm8TZs.jpg

Blue Dolphin, yes, I use my tins all the time, too. This was from a couple of years back. Smoked sprats, linguine with garlic bread crumbs.

u9DVCZT.jpg

My costume today, my dogs', and my baby's.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

Thanks, @Smithy!

- - -

Bodega La Geria, from the main wine producing heart of Lanzarote. Smooth and full-bodied, and yet not like full-bodied wines from other hot places. (How vines are cultivated on the island: light reading)

pqp3xPW.jpg

This island only produces goat's cheeses. From right to left: soft-ish, medium firm and firmer.

ZLOtIVM.jpg

Roe, pâté-like.

ByOBFBB.jpg

IA50aXJ.jpg

The bottom photo on the cover of the guide book is from Haria! All the day-trippers make selfies standing in front of the dripping bougainvillea over snowy-white walls.

2QC7Gb8.jpg

Many industrial beers from the mainland are also common here.

JQM0yCR.jpg

UsW1wqf.jpg

Goat stew. One thinks it's so hot, no appetite for soups and stews. The temperatures outside make no difference, islanders love their soups and stews year round.

5SCZj68.jpg

Octopus served with a green sauce is a typical local dish. All the octopus-loving countries they get it right every time. Octopus is always perfectly cooked.

4q5JVQe.jpg

- Nice house with a hanging balcony across the street from my lodging. It has Portuguese and Andalusian influences. Small sloped "roofs" have no tiles.

- Only the north has bus stops in this style. Name of the stop on the right, a planter with 2 cactuses, lava rock wall, 2 small seats facing the direction of approaching bus. Streets are clean it hurts my eyes. As mentioned previously, at home we have rubbish and dog crap as national decorations.

- From one of the walks, you can see the sea in the photo. So frustrating that they don't make a path all the way to the sea from here. The lava reached the sea, 7 kilometres away, so we could walk there in 90 minutes instead of taking half a day by bus.

- We have done numerous walks in the area and seen Haria from every angle and elevation. Haria is such a peaceful green oasis.

- This makes my brain happy. Faces, voices, dogs, children, traffic etc my brain can't filter out any of that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Went to the capital again on my last Friday on the island.

DXJCb2J.jpg

XI0I1vf.jpg

Chickpeas and corvina

wdeYTjs.jpg

Salt cod

sEbWwBF.jpg

An Iberico pork cut

sIq8yBX.jpg

On the way to the beer bar

Yf6EUFD.jpg

Visited a supermarket on the way back to the bus station. Bought a few things to take home, including cheese.

I looked it up. Apparently, toxic in large doses. How much is a "large" dose then? I want to get rue next time.

Re3F5Qx.jpg

Sweet potatoes and waxy small potatoes are still grown on the island.

eGCxGhl.jpg

Small waxy potatoes are used for papa arrugadas (served with every meal).

Kjh7eKn.jpg

Conservas! There are a bunch of "high-end" conservas as well as others in different price categories.

1h95zz1.jpg

Grilled steak flavour

fMepCJs.jpg

Also chorizo and truffel

6aP4k4o.jpg

The garlic flavoured one is too mild. Never again. But the jamon... they nail it good, the smell and the jamon taste!

zOOPmiq.jpg

Another tin of sardines

3wq4Hwk.jpg

Had to do it once... imitation baby eels.

7TvlUHM.jpg

So quaint, so Canarian.

IwNWMx6.jpg

Golden (hour) alleyway

yVKsOx8.jpg

• Like 6

Very nice thread. I love goat as it is stewed in Lanzarote. Normally in Spain you don't get adult goat, rather young ones (cabrito). I am curious that you seems to have not have morena (moray), wich is something I also considered typical of the Canary islands (I have it in Lanzarote)

cheers

Got some food to go after returning from a walk. This local restaurant is always full, until closing time. Possibly the best (home-made) food in the north, and reasonably priced as well.

mQ4GPJ9.jpg

All this food lasted 2 days.

Octopus salad. I can eat the raw onions grown on the island. Not too sharp and a bit sweet.

560sBPH.jpg

Saucy meat balls

BlWwBRh.jpg

Delighted to see churros de pescado was still available (they usually go fast). Big chunks of meaty fish in a batter and deep-fried. They are a Canarian speciality. I'm not the only one who's enthusiastic about churros de pescado. Spaniards/tourists from the mainland love it, too. Muy rica!

TADzP22.jpg

Goat stew

BKlzkNt.jpg

Nice island wine. Tiny label round the neck.

Q2GNZ8n.jpg

Haria's own hard cheese (to take home). Seller has a vacuum sealer, she knows you'll want to take it home with you.

sBjrwAG.jpg

Fruits and herb from an organic produce stall at the weekly market in Haria. The dragon fruit are so juicy and sweet. But the tiny mango is the most incredible. Found only one source with the same photo of sweet marjoram (Origanum majorana) like in photo below. Seller said it's oregano. The most intense and interesting, not to mention pretty, oregano/marjoram I have ever eaten. There's a clear menthol "bite"/taste to it. I took 2 huge bunches home and ate as much as I possibly could in so short a time.

WAk0QlX.jpg

Not the bougainvillea and green doors again!

DxRp2CV.jpg

QyQn1cC.jpg

They look just like flowers but they are not. Aeonium balsamiferum (?) is native to Lanzarote. It's everywhere in the wild.

xkFaQdD.jpg

A lookout on a misty cliff. This is why the north is so green and fertile. Being higher and receiving more rain and mist then the rest of Lanzarote.

kWfTQ7v.jpg

The mist has cleared a bit, down below is Caleta de Famara village. That's where I'll stay on another trip.

jVBmipO.jpg

@farcego, I did not stray far from the north, where things are much simpler and on a smaller scale. Did not see morena on menu. Maybe on future trips to the Canary islands. Thanks.

• Like 4

Thank you!  The aeonium are nice - my birding/horticulture friends enjoy the Canaries. He always tells customers that our foggy oceanside areas are ideal for them. Little water needed. All the food is calling me. The churrois de pescado - a dipping sauce? In this more Latin part of the world that termn churro  evokes sweet cinnamon dusted treats. Your images and thoroigh explanations are aooreciated - that oregano/marjoram - my brain is sendong scent sigals to me. 

• 2 weeks later...

What we ate after an 8 hour walk. It was a Sunday and nearly everything was closed in the north but we were prepared and got the food the day before.

Fish
865Ep8P.jpg

Papas arrugadas and mojos
OpUcF5v.jpg

gQvftHt.jpg

CcUk6ER.jpg

Another beautiful day on the island born of fire

Baa4G4T.jpg

Some photos from the walk:
Exg5Pul.jpg

Beautiful aloe. There are several types of aloe plants here and they are extremely common but this is the only one I saw with white thorny border. The one and only time I saw it, in a villager's front garden.
XgTffkD.jpg

I guess islanders don't eat snails. They are absolutely everywhere. So many of them that they look like flowers in a field.
OrVMF3n.jpg

New life on a lava rock
IhbkICI.jpg

bvTGtz9.jpg

Finally reached the mirador. We had company so I waited here for awhile.
fMlqwtC.jpg

They decided to take their chances having a photo session on a protruding rock. The boyfriend took her instructions as the young miss went into a series of different fake poses.
7r9zln3.jpg

Had to go up and along the side to get to the other side. Another 3 hours from here to get home.
dOjjeAn.jpg

One lone palm tree and a big volcano
FAd5ySJ.jpg

Looking back where we had just come up from. Looks closer and easy but it's not. You can't walk fast in the heat, need to stop often to drink water.
MgMchKs.jpg

One last look as it was our last walk in the north.
IzKFaHe.jpg

@heidih, on Lanzarote they use the mojos (picon and verde) for dipping everything in or as condiments. They are brought to your table almost immediately, every time.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Wow - all that walking certainly justifies no guilt in eating the beautiful food. What is the dense succulent greenery to the side of the tomatoes (which look nicely ripe) ? Yes people with the incessant picture posing do stoke an annoyance level.  

Edited by heidih (log)

As mentioned previously, I found just one source online with the exact same photo. Apparently it's sweet marjoram, but the seller said it was oregano. Greek oregano is very nice indeed, I even brought it home from Greece. But this one is something else in terms of taste. Incredible.

The flower heads are actually tiny, teeny leaves that are tightly packed. So pretty, so intense, so aromatic.

CYS3Bfl.jpg

Market stall selling orgarnic produce, fruits etc. in my base village where I got it.

heYbSSo.jpg

WAk0QlX.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Took the bus to the former capital on my last day. It's an extremely popular stop for day trippers who come by car.

Street name sign. "Villa de Teguise" is the official name of this town. They moved the capital far away from the coast due to frequent pirate attacks. It didn't deter the pirates at all.
8X0JnY0.jpg

One sees this "Leon y Castillo" street name or plaza etc in many towns and villages on the island. Has nothing to do with lions or castles, however. It's to pay homage to 2 brothers from Gran Canaria.
bz9AmEY.jpg

Post office operating hours:
wRlZcSz.jpg

Goat's milk but then alcoholic.
eFkwxvn.jpg

This is the best food in the world, nothing is above cheese. I much prefer the milk in this form.
M5dVorj.jpg

A small amount of the island's potatoes is for the production of crisps. These are actually "gourmet" crisps. Made in small quantities and cost a bit more. They are also seasoned with the island's own salt.
Qe0fyp6.jpg

A big square, usually full of people but not on a Monday when I was there (lucky me).
wefzt0Y.jpg

A street that leads to the square in above photo. Once dripping with blood in ferocious pirate attacks. Name of this street is "calle de la sangre".
O1KNHt3.jpg

Speaking of pirates, the famous ones were here, too. Drake, Hawkins, Blake etc.
2YtDjAI.jpg

I like making photos of the houses. Next time I will be staying closer to Teguise and have more time to wander round and make more photos of houses.
pGiA9zS.jpg

The buildings are lower and designs are simpler. I like the simplicity of the architecture. It's a bit like stepping back in time here.
FuY5bqh.jpg

The one thing that remains the same everywhere on the island is the sight of pretty dripping bougainvillea. (And free of the sore eyes we have at home ie graffiti, rubbish, dog crap etc)
JXPUYDn.jpg

Free (and clean) public toilet. We, a high-tax and rich Western country, don't have one free public toilet anywhere!
zyQx86s.jpg

Too bad I was a bit early. They were open for coffee and nibbles when I got there. Would have liked to try the cabrito, the mussels and toro.
8HJJlct.jpg

Most people have multiple fruit trees and vegetables in their gardens. On Lanzarote they harvest at least 2 times because the climate allows it.
veTX7kc.jpg

A meal I ate in Teguise
gxUAsz4.jpg

Spicy garlic prawns
nUUM0Km.jpg

Server said it would be a big plate. It was. Good thing we didn't order 2 main dishes.
"Huevos estrellados con secreto iberico". Some scorched padron peppers are behind there.
Gs4oM9w.jpg

The bus back to Haria was half an hour late and I still remember how hot it was even in the shade. Was glad to be back in cool and green Haria a couple of hours later.
whFXphq.jpg

ichC5vP.jpg

Everything has an end, only the wurst has 2.
HIFoQtE.jpg

Cesar is the island's most famous son. He made sure Lanzarote would not be overdeveloped and to preserve the extraordinary natural beauty of this island.
DltH1EQ.jpg

Lava everywhere and comes in all shapes and sizes, some are as big as cars. The first one you see is outside arrival hall, it's as big as a car.
M7Y1Z4K.jpg

Waving goodbye as we were pulling out. Thanks so much, Lanzarote! What a wonderful holiday! Until next time!
jEsQP2B.jpg

I made 6 of these bread rolls stuffed with jamon. The family next to us on the plane looked at my food longingly the whole time. They couldn't be bothered to make something simple and good. They ate Pringles and candies.
A5c4Oxe.jpg

We were based in the north and did many walks in the area.
This is Haria, our base village.
teV6ttm.png

Arrieta village near the bottle right corner.  Have to pass through it to get to anywhere if taking the bus.
8rcXtrr.png

Managed to cover the entire north in 2 weeks time on foot and by bus.
bSCt2bI.png

Mucho sol y volcanes. Si, mi gusta.
ZuRI3FA.jpg

Part 2 in a near future for sure.
DRy7Y7W.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

:Love the stark white simple buildings and the blue/green windows amd doors. Lack of graffiti is interesting. Here in US toilets usually free but homelessness issues can make it tough. A StarBucks near LAX airport had no public one at all or at some they give you an entry code when you order/pay.-bit needed when coffee served. That lane with the cobblestone brick look - intresting sloping. Bougainvillia so perfectly lovely for arid climates. I never water all my old ones and they "bloom" year round - yes the colored part not technically the flower. 

Food as always enticing. The cheeses!  Thank you.

20 minutes ago, BonVivant said:

Took the bus to the former capital on my last day. It's an extremely popular stop for day trippers who come by car.

Street name sign. "Villa de Teguise" is the official name of this town. They moved the capital far away from the coast due to frequent pirate attacks. It didn't deter the pirates at all.
8X0JnY0.jpg

One sees this "Leon y Castillo" street name or plaza etc in many towns and villages on the island. Has nothing to do with lions or castles, however. It's to pay homage to 2 brothers from Gran Canaria.
bz9AmEY.jpg

Post office operating hours:
wRlZcSz.jpg

Goat's milk but then alcoholic.
eFkwxvn.jpg

This is the best food in the world, nothing is above cheese. I much prefer the milk in this form.
M5dVorj.jpg

A small amount of the island's potatoes is for the production of crisps. These are actually "gourmet" crisps. Made in small quantities and cost a bit more. They are also seasoned with the island's own salt.
Qe0fyp6.jpg

A big square, usually full of people but not on a Monday when I was there (lucky me).
wefzt0Y.jpg

A street that leads to the square in above photo. Once dripping with blood in ferocious pirate attacks. Name of this street is "calle de la sangre".
O1KNHt3.jpg

Speaking of pirates, the famous ones were here, too. Drake, Hawkins, Blake etc.
2YtDjAI.jpg

I like making photos of the houses. Next time I will be staying closer to Teguise and have more time to wander round and make more photos of houses.
pGiA9zS.jpg

The buildings are lower and designs are simpler. I like the simplicity of the architecture. It's a bit like stepping back in time here.
FuY5bqh.jpg

The one thing that remains the same everywhere on the island is the sight of pretty dripping bougainvillea. (And free of the sore eyes we have at home ie graffiti, rubbish, dog crap etc)
JXPUYDn.jpg

Free (and clean) public toilet. We, a high-tax and rich Western country, don't have one free public toilet anywhere!
zyQx86s.jpg

Too bad I was a bit early. They were open for coffee and nibbles when I got there. Would have liked to try the cabrito, the mussels and toro.
8HJJlct.jpg

Most people have multiple fruit trees and vegetables in their gardens. On Lanzarote they harvest at least 2 times because the climate allows it.
veTX7kc.jpg

A meal I ate in Teguise
gxUAsz4.jpg

Spicy garlic prawns
nUUM0Km.jpg

Server said it would be a big plate. It was. Good thing we didn't order 2 main dishes.
"Huevos estrellados con secreto iberico". Some scorched padron peppers are behind there.
Gs4oM9w.jpg

The bus back to Haria was half an hour late and I still remember how hot it was even in the shade. Was glad to be back in cool and green Haria a couple of hours later.
whFXphq.jpg

ichC5vP.jpg

Everything has an end, only the wurst has 2.
HIFoQtE.jpg

Cesar is the island's most famous son. He made sure Lanzarote would not be overdeveloped and to preserve the extraordinary natural beauty of this island.
DltH1EQ.jpg

Lava everywhere and comes in all shapes and sizes, some are as big as cars. The first one you see is outside arrival hall, it's as big as a car.
M7Y1Z4K.jpg

Waving goodbye as we were pulling out. Thanks so much, Lanzarote! What a wonderful holiday! Until next time!
jEsQP2B.jpg

I made 6 of these bread rolls stuffed with jamon. The family next to us on the plane looked at my food longingly the whole time. They couldn't be bothered to make something simple and good. They ate Pringles and candies.
A5c4Oxe.jpg

We were based in the north and did many walks in the area.
This is Haria, our base village.
teV6ttm.png

Arrieta village near the bottle right corner.  Have to pass through it to get to anywhere if taking the bus.
8rcXtrr.png

Managed to cover the entire north in 2 weeks time on foot and by bus.
bSCt2bI.png

Mucho sol y volcanes. Si, mi gusta.
ZuRI3FA.jpg

Part 2 in a near future for sure.
DRy7Y7W.jpg

Fantastic... thank you so much for this.  You've made me hungry to go there!