• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thanksgiving, 2022

kayb

My son reported that all 60+ turkeys were successfully cooked along wth the sides, portioned, packed and delivered. He'd just gotten home to get that turkey smell out of himself. I learned they did some up to 3 days ahead and stored in their large walk-in. Experience. Local news was full of shelters and pamtries going in need this year, subbing chickens.  He felt good they pulled off their effort.

I was happy with my leftover pork chile verde and stuffed squash. No drama.

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Looks like a very happy group of people. The photograph alone is a major feat of organization. What a beautiful tradition. Happy Thanksgiving

It’s what I’ve been use to my whole life until my wife cut me off and said we need to go to my family 😡several years ago.    But her Dad  died at the beginning of Covid and her Mom about a year ago.  So she is back in the fold of this fun loving family 

My family is a hugging kissing family.  Kissing is how we have always  greeted each other.   Even thru Covid.  Well we maybe tried elbows at the beginning, but later said “screw this, give me a hug”

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, scubadoo97 said:

@BeeZee  sounds dreadful.   But you made it thru and hopefully all family relationships unscathed 

To put things in perspective, I am glad we could get together. That is always most important. That no blows were thrown or tears were shed is a bonus😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Meal for "leftovers".  We rotate Thanksgiving between 4 families so when I go to another house for dinner, I don't get very many leftovers.  When that happens, I cook a mini dinner the next day for more "leftovers".  That was today. The cornbread recipe is in on the Quaker box of cornmeal.  The green bean casserole it the one everyone knows and the stuffing is Pepperidge Farm.  The gravy was homemade with chicken stock and wings from the freezer, turkey neck, etc.  The dish between the butter and gravy was supposed to be mashed potato cakes but they were never firm enough to form so I cooked them in a little oil and smooshed them in a bowl. I put them on the table with a warning to take a small taste to see if they wanted more.  Everyone wanted more. It was the first bowl to be completely empty. There were also some deviled eggs pecan pie not in the picture.  I made a pecan pie cobbler to take to the family gathering and bought a frozen pie just in case the cobbler didn't turn out.  Well it was good so I kept the pie and we ate it today.

IMG_0368.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 12
  • Delicious 3

1 hour ago, BeeZee said:

That no blows were thrown

I've never been to a holiday gathering where there were any serious arguments or any blows were thrown. I have to admit I've been to some where I have felt like throwing a few myself but fortunately better judgment prevailed.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Norm Matthews said:

mashed potato cakes but they were never firm enough to form

I love mashed potato cakes made from leftover potatoes but I could never get them firm enough to fry right. I finally solved the problem. I bought these little forms to use in my instant pot but whatever I was going to make didn't turn out and I didn't want to throw them away. They came in a sheet and I cut them apart to use them individually. They are about 3 in across. I form the potatoes in these and freeze them. Then they cook perfectly. I cook them a little slower than I would otherwise and they're perfectly hot throughout with a nice crisp exterior.

20221126_074352.thumb.jpg.37c0c2922392f97187f1df4e85083fa1.jpg

20221126_075411.thumb.jpg.c3638b324550fe8bc9d0e9e5605dfc2b.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 4

On 11/24/2022 at 2:08 PM, Kim Shook said:

We just received a photo from my MIL of her stuffed, cooked turkey sitting on her kitchen counter a full FIVE HOURS before we’ll be eating. 😱   Pray for me. 

and…HAPPY THANKSGIVING! 

So....did you survive?  I hope so!

No pictures from my Thanksgiving, but I can report that my father enjoyed the horrifying blueberry, cheese, and sausage bread dressing I linked to earlier in the thread.  Nobody else was brave enough to try it.

My biggest problem this year was the mashed potatoes!  My CSA gave me eight pounds of "mashing potatoes" on Monday.  They looked different from the potatoes I usually cook with, but I just proceeded with my usual method: boil whole and unpeeled, run through a ricer, season and stir with melted butter and hot milk.  This time, when I ran the potatoes through the ricer, they came out grainy!  I have NEVER had that happen before.   After trying a few different things to get them smooth, I ended up beating in more butter and pushing them through a tamis.  WHAT A PAIN!!!   Luckily my niece helped push about half of them through.  We were rewarded with very smooth and silky potatoes, but I will not be mashing the remaining ones in my pantry!

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

25 minutes ago, Maison Rustique said:

@Norm Matthews, my sister also made a pecan pie cobbler that was delicious. I need to get the recipe.

@Shelby, your green bean/mushroom tart looks wonderful!

I also thought the cobbler was good and plan to make it a holiday staple.  I plan to make it again for Christmas.  I put the recipe I used on my blog.  The address is http://normmatthews.blogspot.com/  PS I used all white flour instead of two kinds in the recipe.  PPS I put the cobbler and under pan on the oven shelf before I poured in the water, then just pushed it in to cook.  That way there was little chance of it sloshing out while transporting it to the oven.

Edited by Norm Matthews
I left out part of the recipe at first posting. (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

On 11/26/2022 at 8:10 AM, Norm Matthews said:

I also thought the cobbler was good and plan to make it a holiday staple.  I plan to make it again for Christmas.  I put the recipe I used on my blog.  The address is http://normmatthews.blogspot.com/  PS I used all white flour instead of two kinds in the recipe.  PPS I put the cobbler and under pan on the oven shelf before I poured in the water, then just pushed it in to cook.  That way there was little chance of it sloshing out while transporting it to the oven.

Thanks Neighbor! Just noticed you are in KCK. 

Deb

Liberty, MO

9 hours ago, Maison Rustique said:

Thanks Neighbor! Just noticed you are in KCK. 

You're welcome.  Actually I am in Olathe. (for those who don't know. Olathe and Liberty  part of the metropolitan area Kansas City area) I didn't notice you were close until you just mentioned it.

• Like 1

@Dr. Teeth – I rediscover that fun fact about Cope’s every time I plan to make it.  I think I’ve actually only cooked it a couple of times because of that. 

Lovely looking meals, folks!  

Thanksgiving dinner at my MIL’s:

1-20221124_173935.thumb.jpg.cc1bebff084bb6761cc81f4fee888c29.jpg

Turkey:

1-20221124_173939.thumb.jpg.fd46c52611594e3b887df453fef80e72.jpg

This was the turkey that we got a picture of at 1pm – cooked and stuffed and sitting on the counter.  We ate it at 6 – FIVE hours later.  My niece’s poor boyfriend got the job of carving and ended up with a pile of shreds and crumbles.

Cranberry sauce:

1-20221124_173942.jpg.e056ad1b3ab3c68aad5efbfe9d407436.jpg

Corn pudding:

1-20221124_173945.jpg.47c05d421e943c309693d230748dec18.jpg

Green beans, turkey, dressing, stuffing, gravy, and corn:

1-20221124_173952.thumb.jpg.aa1242f627fd1355f309cbdf0a47c9b8.jpg

Sweet potatoes and mashed potatoes:

1-20221124_173955.thumb.jpg.bedd487dfefff4966d0a59ac223f0552.jpg

I missed getting pictures of the pies – pecan, apple, and pumpkin.  The pecan and apple were sublime.  My MIL said that she messed up the pumpkin and Mr. Kim quietly agreed. 

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1
  • Sad 1

Tg was at a cousin's house near Philly. Turkey was cooked slowly in a Big Green Egg over hardwood charcoal. 'Twas one of the top three turkeys I've ever eaten. It was just slightly smoky, and both white and dark were moist. There were two kinds of dressing (one gluten-free ^_^) and three kinds of potatoes, including mashed that truly fulfilled its role as a vehicle for butter. My contribution was Brussels sprouts:  roasted ahead of time with olive oil and salt, then reheated in the oven and finished with Vermont maple syrup and a touch of sesame oil.

• Like 6
  • Delicious 2

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer