• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thanksgiving, 2022

kayb

On 11/18/2022 at 10:51 PM, scubadoo97 said:

Just got the head count for this year’s family Thanksgiving. Going to be a big one.  100 ppl. Confirmed 

to be held where?

Are you cooking?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

How much do you make for 100 people?

Not sure I have 8 20.5 oz cans of garbanzos in the pantry and more than enough tahini

I was thinking 4 of the cans of garbanzos would be plenty as there will be a lot of apps 

• Thanks 1

Smoked Turkey

Mac and cheese
Mashed sweet potato

Cranberries in port (for me)

Some god awful cranberry sauce that is a play on a tiki drink I came up with and now my wife and kids won’t let me stop making it

John Copes creamed corn

Brussel Sprouts

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 11/19/2022 at 9:37 AM, Shelby said:

Holy crap. I wouldn't know quite how to handle that.  I get stressed just cooking for two lol.

I channeled my inner @Kim Shook and started gravy prep

thumbnail_IMG_3448.jpg.2fee40654cbc9ed0054483b85b999776.jpg

The good part is I’m not hosting.  It’s a family affair.  Everyone chips in.   Some are making food, some are involved with  the set up and clean up.  The last few years I always made sure a handle or two of Wild Turkey 101 was  on the bar.  It’s the best Turkey I will have at most any thanksgiving.  But the majority of my cousins drink vodka.  What’s up with that?  High octane water.   Give me some brown spirits 🥃 that taste like something. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, Dr. Teeth said:

Smoked Turkey

Mac and cheese
Mashed sweet potato

Cranberries in port (for me)

Some god awful cranberry sauce that is a play on a tiki drink I came up with and now my wife and kids won’t let me stop making it

John Copes creamed corn

Brussel Sprouts

LOL!  I got the TG Day menu "order" yesterday and it's as weird as yours.    

Honey baked ham

Mac and cheese

Roasted carrots

Peas

Rolls

Son's family will bring apple pie.     I am adding buttered baked yams.   

We will have a family birthday dinner the next day, similarly idiosyncratic requests

Irish lamb stew and/or rack of lamb

Mac and cheese

Roasted carrots

Stuffing

Bread boulle

Lemon cake with lemon frosting

The kids fantasize about our mac and cheese and roast carrots.    Glad to have created a memory, if odd.

• Like 3

eGullet member #80.

12 hours ago, heidih said:

@Margaret Pilgrim plain roasted crrot are good with good carrots but do you have a twist?

Sorry, no bells or whistles.   Peeled whole carrots placed in largest baking dish, about quarter inch water in bottom of pan, LOTS of butter.  Bake/roast @ high heat until water evaporates, turning carrots occasionally.   Try for a little color but don't overcook.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

eGullet member #80.

I lucked out, I just have to do a dessert.  It's personal sized lemon curd and Maria cookies icebox cakes in 8oz mason jars.  Topping will be fresh pomegranate pips.   Maybe some sweetened crema for drizzling.

Also have a small citrus cake in case someone doesn't want a custard style dessert.

• Like 3

Probably four for dinner, distant possibility of a fifth. We'll eat at sunset overlooking the ocean.  No matter what family members (all my husband's family--my family as spread out on the east coast--end up at the table every year there's typically an even split between turkey eaters and non-turkey eaters.

Apps of some kind and Bubbly (in-laws)

Roast dry-brined turkey and gravy (us)

Mashed fluffy potato-cauliflower (us)

Vegetarian entree, maybe spanakopita  (in-laws)

Green beans (in-laws)

Fresh cranberry relish  (us)

Pickled vegetables (us)

Pumpkin pie  (in-laws)

Blueberry pie (us)

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1

56 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Sorry, no bells or whistles.   Peeled whole carrots placed in largest baking dish, about quarter inch water in bottom of pan, LOTS of butter.  Bake/roast @ high heat until water evaporates, turning carrots occasionally.   Try for a little color but don't overcook.  

Ha!  Yhe butter/water steam roast. I was just tossing with olive oil and a medium heat. Thanks!

17 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

That sounds like the good old family reunions that our family always had in the summertime. Does your family only do this once a year or is it a fairly regular occurrence.

The more local ones do get together on occasion for dinner or just to hang at the beach.  One of my cousins has a condo on the beach.  We on occasion meet them there to hang and have dinner over the weekend 

• Like 4

Roasted turkey wings for make ahead gravy, you can see where I pulled off my cook’s treat. I picked most of the meat to use for another meal (got 6.8 oz from 4 wings, less my snacking).

22C3EF07-02A8-44EA-BD41-1AF7A79252AF.jpeg

• Like 6

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

I’m always stuck with cooking, but I sent out a list of what others could do.

I will be making: 

Turkey breast on the grill

cornbread dressing, my aunt’s potato casserole, my mom’s sweet potatoes, my grandmother’s cranberry relish. And dessert will be a chocolate, walnut and caramel tart and an apple galette with thyme in the crust and Asiago in the crumble topping.
We’ll provide rolls, gravy, beverages, etc.

My mom’s sister is bringing ham and green beans, the other sister is making her fried okra/squash and some others are bringing random things they want.

• Like 3
  • Delicious 2

Since it's just the two of us, I have the luxury to just wing it tomorrow lol.  I have lots to choose from.  Not all will get made for sure (meaning the side dishes).

Deviled eggs (for sure--I already boiled the eggs)

Shrimp cocktail (for sure)

SV'd turkey breast

Roasted turkey quarters

Mashed potatoes

Gravy

Cranberry sauce (I made it last year--really good.  Uses mandarin oranges)

Blue cheese mushroom green bean tart

Some kind of other vegetable--creamed corn in little ramekins (maybe)

Ronnie mentioned THE green bean casserole--I don't care for it a lot but I might make a small one for him.  I have the crunchy onion things that go on top.

Stuffing (Stove Top--we like it and it's easy)

Breaded tomatoes 

I have a delicata squash I could do something with.......last minute ideas welcome...

Praline pecan pie (ordered)

Gelato (ordered)--this will be fun.  Four different turkey day flavors Maple syrup and cinnamon walnut pesto, mascarpone and fig, sweet potato pecan praline, spice cake batter

Keep in mind anything I make will be scaled down big time for two.

I'm supposed to deliver my bread tomorrow but I might slink out and just have Ronnie do it.....yeah, I'm terrible.

• Like 3
  • Delicious 3

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

I have a delicata squash I could do something with.......last minute ideas welcome...

You've already got a lovely menu there, but if you wanted to use the delicata, you could possibly use it in a kale salad. I had that once and it was quite good. Someone else made it but it was roasted slices of squash on top of kale with some dried cranberries, goat cheese and some kind of nuts (might have been pepitas but I think walnuts or pecans or sunflower would also work). Not sure what kind of vinaigrette but I think it was citrus, maybe some orange in it? 

Or make some chips with the squash, like this, which I am definitely going to try some day. 

https://food52.com/recipes/19485-delicata-squash-chips 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/22/2022 at 1:37 PM, Shelby said:

You can't toy with us like that.  Recipe please :)

Umm, ok.   Just remember you asked for it.

1 1/2 cup pineapple juice

1/2 cup brown sugar.

combine in saucepan.  Heat until sugar dissolves.

add 1 bag cranberries, washed and picked through.

heat at low boil for 15 min.  

remove from heat.

add splash Captain Morgan (I have no idea why this was in my house to begin with) 

add smaller splash Midori (see Captain Morgan comments)

Mostly embarrassing that I referred to it as tiki inspired.    The parent cocktail isn’t tiki at all but more inexpensive cruise ship.   

Also keep in mind, we usually do ham or smoked turkey.  Pineapple, brown sugar and melon all work with ham.

Happy Thanksgiving

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

20 minutes ago, lemniscate said:

Started out the morning with a small glass of 2 year aged @ninagluck egg nog and the WKRP Turkey Drop episode.  Oh, the humanity!

That Egg Nog is heaven on Earth, especially when mellowed for a 700+ days.

I WANT!!!  Wow, I don't think I could have stayed out of it for that long lol.

I meant to start a batch weeks ago and haven't gotten to it.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I don't think I could have stayed out of it for that long lol.

The trick is to make too many bottles and then reorganize the pantry and forget where you reorganized the extra eggnog was until you reorganize again and find the stashed eggnog you thought you had already drank/gifted.

Edited by lemniscate
t (log)
  • Haha 7

3 hours ago, Dr. Teeth said:

Umm, ok.   Just remember you asked for it.

1 1/2 cup pineapple juice

1/2 cup brown sugar.

combine in saucepan.  Heat until sugar dissolves.

add 1 bag cranberries, washed and picked through.

heat at low boil for 15 min.  

remove from heat.

add splash Captain Morgan (I have no idea why this was in my house to begin with) 

add smaller splash Midori (see Captain Morgan comments)

Mostly embarrassing that I referred to it as tiki inspired.    The parent cocktail isn’t tiki at all but more inexpensive cruise ship.   

Also keep in mind, we usually do ham or smoked turkey.  Pineapple, brown sugar and melon all work with ham.

Happy Thanksgiving

I haven't made the cranberry sauce yet and am very tempted to try this. I don't have the particular liqueurs you used but do have some Kōloa Kauaʻi Coconut Rum and could garnish with toasted coconut chips? I thought there was frozen pineapple chunks in the freezer but it was mango and I think that might be taking thing too far 🙃 On the other hand, I believe everyone else will only eat the jellied stuff so I can do whatever!  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, lemniscate said:

Started out the morning with a small glass of 2 year aged @ninagluck egg nog and the WKRP Turkey Drop episode.  Oh, the humanity!

That Egg Nog is heaven on Earth, especially when mellowed for a 700+ days.

The very first thing I'm going to do is locate some Everclear!!!

• Like 1