• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

heidih

heidih

On the side green dish:  I usually did buffet for large gatherings with guests arriving at different times so everything had to hold up well. 

3 guest favorites -

- due to staggered arrivals I did a large pot of a green soup for them to enjoy pre-meal. Simply spinach, some allium, chicken powder (yes!), and maybe potato for creaminess. Served themselves in small cups. Gets the green in. Years later one guest and his elderly mom mentioned it and how they enjoyed it

- steamed baby boy choy with Chinese sorta sweet sausage but another dry type would work. My 1/2 Viet god-daughter hugged me. 

- more recently bagged (yes) Sweet Kale salad like this. Fresh but holds up for hours. https://www.taylorfarms.com/products/sweet-kale-chopped-kit/

ETA for OP - the soup in a crockpot for warming, and the salad both fit into the limited cooking heat situation

heidih

heidih

On the side green dish:  I usually did buffet for large gatherings with guests arriving at different times so everything had to hold up well. 

3 guest favorites -

- due to staggered arrivals I did a large pot of a green soup for them to enjoy pre-meal. Simply spinach, some allium, chicken powder (yes!), and maybe potato for creaminess. Served themselved in small cups. Gets the green in. Years later one guest and his elderly mom mentioned it and how they enjoyed it

- steamed baby boy choy with Chinese sorta sweet sausage but another dry type would work. My 1/2 Viet god-daughter hugged me. 

- more recently bagged (yes) Sweet Kale salad like this. Fresh but holds up for hours. https://www.taylorfarms.com/products/sweet-kale-chopped-kit/