• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Baking Cloche Options

Ann_T

I really, really wanted the Challenger Bread Pan.

Gets amazing reviews and I like that it will bake different size/shape loaves.

But being realistic both because of price and the fact that it weighs 22 pounds, I've ruled it out.

If I lived in the US I might still be tempted, but with the cost of shipping and duty/taxes when converted to CAD the price would be over $700.

So now I am looking at the Netherton Spun Iron Baking Cloche.  This also gets great reviews and I can buy it directly from the company in the UK

for less than buying it in Canada or the US.  

So before I bite the bullet, I'm  wondering does anyone have any other suggestions to  consider?    I already have Dutch Ovens

and the burn marks associated with them.   And lately I have been using the lid of a roasting pan or a large stainless round bowl.  

Thanks @AlaMoi loaf pans are way to small for my purposes.

I  have been using both a very large stainless bowl like the one in your picture and a large roasting pan lid.

Problem with both is lack of handles.    

I'm definitely leaning towards the Netherton.

Just a thought, but have you checked with local potters? You could probably have something made to order for a reasonable price (and I'm confident you have plenty of potters in your neck of the woods).

I'd spent years looking for a salt pig I liked, and then realized one day that a working potter was my immediate downstairs neighbour. We put our heads together, and - ta-da! - I had my custom-tailored salt pig in just a couple of days.

• Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

1 minute ago, chromedome said:

Just a thought, but have you checked with local potters? You could probably have something made to order for a reasonable price (and I'm confident you have plenty of potters in your neck of the woods).

I'd spent years looking for a salt pig I liked, and then realized one day that a working potter was my immediate downstairs neighbour. We put our heads together, and - ta-da! - I had my custom-tailored salt pig in just a couple of days.

Good idea, but I like the idea of something that won't break.  

• Like 2

I have a pair of oven mitts with silicon stripes - they will "play handle" to any bowl or inverted pan....

push come to shove . . . get a big stainless bowl, punch/drill a hole in the top for the handle/knob of your big box store choice . . .

38 minutes ago, lindag said:

If I ever am able to produce loaves like yours I reward myself with a Challenger.

But I have a long way to go.

Because of the dissected artery, from the accident, which apparently hasn't healed, it is just what it is,  I'm restricted to not doing any lifting over 20 lbs.  Of course that is almost impossible. 

But I do find it awkward trying to lift heavy cast iron pans when bending to put them in the oven.  SO, I did have to talk myself out of the Challenger.

I've gone ahead and ordered the Netherton Spun Iron Cloche yesterday.

Received this email from them this morning.

Thank you for your order, which we've entered into the production schedule.

We aim to make and despatch your order within 7 working days and you will receive a notification when it is on its way.

If you have chosen an item with a longer lead time, it will take up to 28 days to make and despatch it.

If we find that we cannot meet the target shipment date, we will let you know.

We will send your order by courier who will send you a pre-delivery notification advice by text or email, as soon as it is despatched. We will also send you an email from our web shop to confirm it has been shipped.

We recommend that you regularly check your email inbox (including junk and spam) and phone for delivery information from the courier. This is your opportunity to give the courier details of your address, confirm that you will be in to receive your parcel or make alternative arrangements for the drop off of your parcel.

Please also note that we will only despatch to the address on your order - if you have indicated alternatives in case you’re not available on the Comments of your order, please instead advise the courier by responding to their delivery pre-advice email or text once we have despatched (sadly not applicable for Royal Mail deliveries).

Once again, thank you for your order of Netherton cookware.

Please reply to this email if you have any questions.

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

Because of the dissected artery, from the accident, which apparently hasn't healed, it is just what it is,  I'm restricted to not doing any lifting over 20 lbs.  Of course that is almost impossible. 

But I do find it awkward trying to lift heavy cast iron pans when bending to put them in the oven.  SO, I did have to talk myself out of the Challenger.

I'm thinking along the lines of only having to lift a half of the beast at a time.