• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

RIP Gael Greene

chromedome

Not seeing confirmation yet, but Ruth Reichl has posted on Twitter.

1693246718_Screenshot2022-11-01at11-53-35ruthreichlonTwitter.png.634ec64607b22d8ad203c705c8167df6.png

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I can confirm. 

As can the NY Times.

Having had the opportunity to dine with GG many times, I might say with certainty she was one of a kind. And restaurant criticism was never the same.

• Like 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

2 hours ago, weinoo said:

I can confirm. 

As can the NY Times.

Having had the opportunity to dine with GG many times, I might say with certainty she was one of a kind. And restaurant criticism was never the same.

So tell some stories?

I understand (from what I've read) that she ...uh... got around a bit.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, gfweb said:

So tell some stories?

I understand (from what I've read) that she ...uh... got around a bit.

She certainly was quite capable of telling those stories.

I think on my first dinner out with Gael, I knocked over a glass of Pinot Noir all over the table!

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

A life fully lived, it would seem.

I thoroughly enjoyed her gossipy memoir, Insatiable, despite (or maybe because of) it being as full of salacious sexual tales as it was of food.  Her reminiscences of Burt Reynolds were nothing short of eye-popping.

Her email newsletter was good fun too, full of tales of New York restaurants I knew I'd never visit.

• Like 1

On 11/2/2022 at 2:53 PM, CookBot said:

I thoroughly enjoyed her gossipy memoir, Insatiable, despite (or maybe because of) it being as full of salacious sexual tales as it was of food.  Her reminiscences of Burt Reynolds were nothing short of eye-popping.

I see her book is available for $1.99 (Kindle version)  here

• Like 1

"There are no mistakes in bread baking, only more bread crumbs"

*Bernard Clayton, Jr.