• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking with an Air Fryer

mgaretz

6 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Those of you with air fryers are probably already aware of this but it was new to me.  I air fried a hash brown potato patty, topped it with a fried egg and had it for lunch.  The egg of course was done in a frying pan.  Is it possible to air fry an egg, say in a muffin cup?

I've never done it, but it looks like it works pretty well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Chimayo Joe said:

I've never done it, but it looks like it works pretty well.

Thanks. It does look like it works. After I get enough coffee in me I might give it a try although it doesn’t appeal to me as an optimum way to fry an egg.
To quote Samuel Johnson: “It is not done well: but you are surprised to find it done at all.”

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

So I think there’s just a little video magic going on here. First, one has to wonder why you would use such a deep pot to fry an egg. If he bought the accessory kit it came with a shallow cake pan which makes much more sense. Assuming my air fryer is identical to the one used in the video and except for the additional word “max” it conforms to his Cosori 5.8 quart. 
he suggests preheating the air fryer at 320°F but neglects to say for how long
But now we are faced with  another  issue that he manages not to mention or demonstrate. It is almost impossible to insert the basket into the air fryer without tipping it. It is also necessary to use some force to push it in and engage the switch. All this to say that a raw egg obeys the laws of gravity. No matter how fresh it may be it will spread.  

I preheated my air fryer at 320°F for five minutes with a teaspoon of bacon fat in a shallow cake pan. Once it was preheated I broke the egg into it. Unfortunately I broke the yolk. Beyond that the egg spread thinly. 
I set the temperature again for 320°F and the timer for 4  minutes. 

6267E6F6-1AB6-49A9-B704-E59E53D1A01F.thumb.jpeg.82dcc4cff649abfa33437ef54181725e.jpeg

even though it is little more than a thin layer of  yolk and white it is decidedly undercooked. 

A549215C-899E-44FB-8DD9-008A484295D5.thumb.jpeg.f95dbd75bdacf2a0e1cc832e0dca8040.jpeg

I added another two minutes and it is still undercooked.

633DF49A-47E8-41DD-B4E5-857246D61B8D.thumb.jpeg.13c62a36f6f44cb2c51150ba552d8151.jpegby now I was totally fed up and gave it a minute longer at 350°F and called it quits. 
Even with a shallow cake pan retrieving the egg was challenging so I can’t imagine how the chap in the video extracted his egg except perhaps by turning it upside down.  

Be interested to see if anyone else has better luck. 

Edited by Anna N
To fix multiple typos. (log)
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna NThanks for taking one for the team.  I plan on having an egg for lunch so will try doing it in the air fryer.  Obviously  320 doesn't work.  One site I came across said 3 - 5 minutes @375.  That person ended up doing hers for 5.  Will report back.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

This is my well-used, much loved little pan in which I fry one egg.  Is there any reason why it shouldn't be in the air fryer when I preheat it?

20220710_102723.jpg

Just give some consideration to how you will remove it without burning yourself!  

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

24 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Just give some consideration to how you will remove it without burning yourself!  

Sure:

Before and after shots.  There is enough room to slip the heatproof thing on.

20220710_114441.jpg

20220710_114507.jpg

Edited by ElsieD (log)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

@ElsieD 

Nice  !

I di9dnt realize how small that pan was 

or 

how large the AF's cooking space is .!

P.S.:  was there going to be an Egg involved ,

or did I miss it ?

If you scroll up a few posts you'll see the pan with the unshelled egg in i

I preheated the air fryer with my little pan in it to 375 and when it had preheated for 3 minutes in went a bit of bacon fat.  When that melted, the egg went in.  It cooked about 2 1/2 minutes and was perfect.  The timing isn't exact because some seconds had gone by before I thought to put the timer on and some seconds elapsed between pulling it out of the fryer and getting  back to the timer.  There was no what I call snot on the egg and the white was perfectly tender.  The yolk was nice and runny.  Best egg I've had in a long time.  

20220710_142714.jpg

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

4 hours ago, palo said:

Temperature might be the key (higher than 320 - you can always check on progress)

p

But that would be completely defeating the purpose of following instructions in the video!  

My 2004 eG Blog

6 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Best egg I've had in a long time.  

What matters is that you were happy with it. But looking at it even with my challenged eyeballs it’s very strange looking. I’m inclined to call it a ruffled egg!  
I am prepared to try your method but it will have to wait until my egg supply is replenished tomorrow. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

36 minutes ago, Anna N said:

What matters is that you were happy with it. But looking at it even with my challenged eyeballs it’s very strange looking. I’m inclined to call it a ruffled egg!  
I am prepared to try your method but it will have to wait until my egg supply is replenished tomorrow. 

It is a bit ruffled, isn't it?  :D  I'll be trying it again tomorrow and I think i'll strain that loose watery stuff.  I'll also put my timer next to the AF so I get an accurate time.   

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

But that would be completely defeating the purpose of following instructions in the video!  

YouTube/TikTok/Facebook and other social media sources are not the most reliable of sources - good place to start but not a bible

p

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@ElsieD 

I missed that aa an egg.

it looked a little flat

a nice stone ?

some dough?

soon to be

a small Naan ?

my errors.

Tha base of that pan is 4 ".  That egg is a light green colour.  My eggs come straight from a farmer which is why I get different colored eggs, not to mention different sizes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, palo said:

YouTube/TikTok/Facebook and other social media sources are not the most reliable of sources - good place to start but not a bible

p

Please. 

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

It is a bit ruffled, isn't it?  :D  I'll be trying it again tomorrow and I think i'll strain that loose watery stuff.  I'll also put my timer next to the AF so I get an accurate time.   

I am sure the ruffling is a result of the high speed fan which I was afraid would fling that white snot all over the inside of the air fryer. I am glad that did not happen. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

I am sure the ruffling is a result of the high speed fan which I was afraid would fling that white snot all over the inside of the air fryer. I am glad that did not happen. 

Me too.

• Like 1

I wonder if maybe the pan needs to be preheated enough to cook the egg a bit before it goes into the air fryer or if the material of the pan makes a difference.  Seems to me the egg needs to firm up quickly, so the fan doesn't cause big problems.

Aside from Air Fryer eggs, I was researching baked potatoes in an AF (Yes Anna on the internet 🙂) Well I found it really isn't any faster than an oven. I wondered about pre-baking in the microwave. Well long story short 6 minutes in MW and 25 minutes in AF - faster than the 45 - 60 minutes in oven alone. BUT I stumbled on this site (just linking the potato blog)

https://foodcrumbles.com/experimenting-with-potatoes-in-the-air-fryer/

The site reminds me of ATK "this is why the recipe works and why not" - their motto is Learn how your food ‘works’ I haven't explored the site very much but it looks intriguing

Another topic:

https://foodcrumbles.com/why-and-when-to-use-potato-starch-in-baking-tested-cakes-cookies-brownies/

Worth a look-see

p

31 minutes ago, palo said:

Aside from Air Fryer eggs, I was researching baked potatoes in an AF (Yes Anna on the internet 🙂) Well I found it really isn't any faster than an oven. I wondered about pre-baking in the microwave. Well long story short 6 minutes in MW and 25 minutes in AF - faster than the 45 - 60 minutes in oven alone. BUT I stumbled on this site (just linking the potato blog)

i baked a few potatoes in the air fryer when I first got mine.  While the results are good, it's really not much faster.  Microwave first then finish in the oven is my usual method for baking potatoes, but for some reason I didn't try that in the air fryer.  I'll do it next time.

Edited by Chimayo Joe (log)