• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking with an Air Fryer

mgaretz

1 hour ago, mgaretz said:

To me this is the "when you have a hammer, everything is a nail" syndrome.  

I have to politely disagree. If you can hard boil half a dozen eggs without dirtying a single pan I think that’s a win-win!  YMMV. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

If you can hard boil half a dozen eggs without dirtying a single pan I think that’s a win-win!  YMMV. 

While I totally agree with your general concept, I have never dirtied a pan boiling eggs; simply removed eggs, emptied boiling water into the sink and upturned the pan to air dry.    No washing involved.    How does your method vary?

eGullet member #80.

4 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

While I totally agree with your general concept, I have never dirtied a pan boiling eggs; simply removed eggs, emptied boiling water into the sink and upturned the pan to air dry.    No washing involved.    How does your method vary?

No water. 

• Haha 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, mgaretz said:

To me this is the "when you have a hammer, everything is a nail" syndrome.  

Maybe, but I'll have fun doing it.  I need some of that in my life right now.

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Lucky you. Our water has become high enough in lime/calcium that we have to put a slug of vinegar in the pan after boiling water. I buy white vinegar by the gallon.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DesertTinker said:

Lucky you. Our water has become high enough in lime/calcium that we have to put a slug of vinegar in the pan after boiling water. I buy white vinegar by the gallon.

I don't know if it would work in your case but I had a filter (Culligan)  put on the main water line in my house to remove chlorine and other bits.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DesertTinker said:

The other thing is that I do not have to deal with boiling water and the dangers it poses. 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

On 6/10/2022 at 4:20 PM, Anna N said:

I spent my afternoon watching videos about the ninja air fryer oven that @Dejahjust bought. I was astounded to note that the one thing it did not do well was frozen french fries! This is a very different appliance. I was quite fascinated.

Will be interested to see how your chicken wings turn out.  

I didn't have frozen fries but I did have frozen tater tots for supper last night. Spread a layer onto the fry basket and air-fry @400F for 15 minutes with a stir half way thru.
They were crispy. If I wanted them darker, I would spritz with oil.
I will have to pick up some fries and try them out.

Have been looking thru' the cookbook I got and may try a dessert sometime soon.
Kind of nice not heating up the kitchen, and there was no smoke when I did the lamb chops on air fry! The chops were brushed with oil oil and rubbed with salt, chopped fresh rosemary and thyme. First time having lamb with pesto: parsley, mint, garlic, Parmesan cheese, pistachios, lemon juice. Quite good for a change from mint sauce.

829562044_PestoLambChops7543.jpg.c2ca21530a7f9584819fa14752761483.jpg

• Like 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

4 minutes ago, Dejah said:

Hoping you will share all your adventures with us.
I just told someone that while I do not wish to own the air fryer you recently acquired I would love to play with it for a bit!

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

21 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

@Dejah  at what temperature did you cook your lamb chops and for how lomg?  Also, what cookbook do you have and would you recommend it?

I just wonder if you have looked at the type of air fryer that Dejah got?  It is very different! 

https://www.costco.com/ninja-foodi-9-in-1-digital-air-fry-toaster-oven.product.100735741.html

I think this one or similar. 

Edited by Anna N
To add link. (log)

My 2004 eG Blog

8 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

@Dejah  at what temperature did you cook your lamb chops and for how lomg?  Also, what cookbook do you have and would you recommend it?

I did six 1.5" thick chops @400F for 5 minutes, flipped then another 5 minutes. They weren't quite "done to our specs" with what the recipe suggested: 2 more minutes after the flip.
I ordered THIS book only because it is for the Ninja Foodi Digital Air Fryer Oven. No pretty pictures but lots of recipes from appetizers to desserts to dehydrating. I got it mainly because I was craving rhubarb pie and my oven had died. N o new replacement built in until possibly end of June!

799876117_51GBBTaGr9L._SX384_BO1204203200_.jpg.938c28a2c52dec913149b7f98d00e376.jpg
Apparently there is a newer version available - both my oven and book are from Amazon.ca.
I liked the oven so much after my success with the pie that I had one sent out to my son and family, who just moved to NFLD from Manitoba!

• Like 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

1 hour ago, Dejah said:

Lately I have been buying the McCain's fries.  Only take 5 minutes and are quite good.  Not sure if you can find them in Canada.

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

1 hour ago, mgaretz said:

Lately I have been buying the McCain's fries.  Only take 5 minutes and are quite good.  Not sure if you can find them in Canada.

Yes, but Cavendish fries have been on sale 🙂

• Haha 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

7 hours ago, mgaretz said:

I've been buying McCain products since they've shown up in my local Safeway recently.  I've had the Quick Cook Crinkle Cut fries, Quick Cook Straight Cut fries, Quick Cook Waffle fries, Crinkle Cut Sweet Potato fries, Craft Beer Battered Onion Rings, and Baby Cakes.  That's everything my supermarket carries.  I'd rate each at or near the top of its type except the Baby Cakes. Those are mini-hashbrowns. I put those in the tater tots category and don't like the texture or flavor of them much.  They're not bad. I just prefer other products for that type of  thing.  I'm not a big fan of waffle fries, but I'd still rate McCain the best of those that I've had.

19 minutes ago, palo said:

Canadian Company:

https://mccain.ca/en/always-together/

p

Amused me when @mgaretz asked if we could find McCains in Canada. I've always pictured New Brunswick as owned by the McCains and the Irvings. 

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Haha 4

8 hours ago, mgaretz said:

Their headquarters is about 90 minutes up the road from me, in fact. You know when you're near Florenceville, because it smells of french fries for miles around.

• Haha 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

2055F50D-8B84-4C5C-AC54-B97BDBF3ADDC.thumb.jpeg.c325754479af77278831a83642548750.jpeg

Wings in the Cosori air fryer. 400°F for 17 minutes. These are so minuscule that it’s hardly worth even cooking them. I have to order online and there is no way of determining what size wings might show up. They were still very good but I would like some larger ones. I prefer my wings unsauced. 

• Like 6
  • Delicious 2

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N - as an aside - who do you order from? I do Walmart, $7.95 delivery charge, it would cost me more than that in gas - the other option I have is Zehrs which uses InstantCart they don't honor sale prices and prices may go up if the item you want will be substituted - they do have faster delivery (1 hour and 2 hour) - I like Walmart though because it seems more straight forward

p

• Thanks 1

I've been having fun with the air fryer.  I cooked a pork tenderloin the other day and have also made grilled cheese sandwiches a few times for lunch.  I do those on broil, and they are fantastic.  I'm keeping track of the temperature, times and settings I've used as well as other people's who have posted theirs.

• Like 2

87DD6B8D-90A3-41F0-BB52-2C15B4A5A23B.thumb.jpeg.7884b5a9e5592fdd0c6346ac840dda28.jpeg

Shake ‘n Bake pork chop in air fryer. 400°F for 15 minutes with a flip half way through. Side of sautéed asparagus. 

• Like 8
  • Delicious 2

My 2004 eG Blog

Taking a page from Anna N's book, I bought some Johnsonville brats and cooked them in the Ninja using the grill mode instead of the air fryer mode.  Use the Lo setting which is 400F and cooked them for 11 minutes.  They came out fine!

• Like 6

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs