• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

afs

afs

I am realizing that the original post is old enough that the OP has probably already picked up an instant-read thermometer.

Thermoworks put their Thermapen ONEs on sale a few times the last few months (first for the holidays, then as an overstock sale...and as a flash sale today they have the green and black models available for 25% off, 75 USD vs 100 USD).

I'm a big fan of the Thermapen ONEs.  I use mine once or twice a week on average, and I expect that the usage will go up over time if I start cooking more meat on the stove instead of in the sous vide bath.  @AlaMoi's wisdom is sage: these things turn out to be a lot more useful than we initially expect them to be.

BTW, the big benefit of a Thermapen ONE over a Thermopop or some of the other solutions is the instantness of the instant read.  It gets an accurate reading within like a second.  There are a lot of other great options, but they typically take a few seconds to settle or they're a little less accurate.  Thermoworks also has quite a few other meat-related temperature probes for applications like grill cooking as well.

Outside of Thermoworks, there are a number of other suppliers of food temperature probes, some of which have already been noted.  Thermoworks was the known-good standard (whose reference Thermapens can be used to calibrate other temperature sensors) so that's who I went with, but some other brands have a lot of fans too.  I recommend checking out their reviews and their specs (both for resolution time and accuracy).  There are some good deals to be had.

afs

afs

Thermoworks put their Thermapen ONEs on sale a few times the last few months (first for the holidays, then as an overstock sale...and as a flash sale today they have the green and black models available for 25% off, 75 USD vs 100 USD).

I'm a big fan of the Thermapen ONEs.  I use mine once or twice a week on average, and I expect that the usage will go up over time if I start cooking more meat on the stove instead of in the sous vide bath.  @AlaMoi's wisdom is sage: these things turn out to be a lot more useful than we initially expect them to be.

BTW, the big benefit of a Thermapen ONE over a Thermopop or some of the other solutions is the instantness of the instant read.  It gets an accurate reading within like a second.  There are a lot of other great options, but they typically take a few seconds to settle or they're a little less accurate.

Outside of Thermoworks there are a number of other suppliers of food temperature probes, some of which have already been noted.  Thermoworks was the known-good standard (whose reference Thermapens can be used to calibrate other temperature sensors) so that's who I went with, but some other brands have a lot of fans too.  I recommend checking out their reviews and their specs (both for resolution time and accuracy).  There are some good deals to be had.