• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Quail: What do you like to do with it?

Orbit

I saving this for the Guangxi Gastronomy topic, but it fits here, too so.

A Chinese treatment - 烤鹌鹑 (kǎo ān chún) - Grilled Quail. Butterflied, generously sprinkled with cumin and chilli powders and grilled over charcoal - finished with sesame seeds. A popular late night snack sold on the streets.

1521514109_RoastQuail.thumb.jpg.9099a091189301b56c1b0d67c84953a8.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 5

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I think some of the best quail I've had in a restaurant (and @Kim Shook or other DC area inhabitants may know of this place) was in a Vietnamese restaurant at the Eden Center in Falls Church, VA. Of course since there are like 30 Vietnamese restaurants in that mall, I don't remember which one it was.

Deep fried, served with a great dipping sauce as an appetizer.

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Yummmm....we love quail.

First of all, is the quail whole?

Do they have the skin on?  Whole and leaving the skin on is my favorite.  I use my CSO but, of course, any oven will do :) .  Preheat your oven --my CSO only goes to 450F...my oven goes to 500F.  Either way, I let it heat for a good 30 mins after it beeps that it's heated just to get it good and hot.  Rub butter all over quail (poke some under the skin too if you wish), season with salt and pepper (I like Lawry's salt) and stuff with lemon wedges, onions and fresh herbs (I'm partial to Thyme).  Roast in the oven for 10 mins--maybe 15 depending on quail size....I pull them when the temp of the meatiest part of the breast is 150-155F.  Rest them for 10 mins.  The temp will probably rise to 160F.  Be careful.  You do not want to over cook these guys.  They dry out in a heart beat.  I check the internal temp at 5 mins in.

If there is no skin, but they are whole, I've done the same method.  Just make sure you dry them off and get butter rubbed all over them.

If they are boned out, or in pieces,  I'd fry them.  Again, make sure you don't over do--doesn't take long for them to cook.

Then there is always the good old quail casserole.  Recipes are all over the internet.  Quickly fry pieces of quail--boned out works best.  Sautee celery, onions ,mushrooms and garlic.  Either make your own or use canned cream of mushroom soup.  Place quail in casserole dish, pour veggies and soup over.  Bake at 350F for 1 1/2 hours or so.  The soup mix keeps them tender so they won't over cook.  There are fancier methods that use white wine etc.....again, a google will give you tons of recipes like this.  

Hope this helps and I can't wait to see your meal!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

I have discovered that the majority of quails here are used for pet food - particularly cat food. It seems the locals are only really interested in the eggs. My supermarket stopped stocking them about 5 years ago.

That does mean, though, that quails are dirt cheap online. If I buy 20 quick frozen oven ready birds (intended for human consumption), they work out at 86 cents USD each. Buy only 10 and  that rises to $1.28. Must check my freezer space.

quail.thumb.jpg.7ac0cb36d3c77b9b68361919432f38d0.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 7

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto