• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Anna N

Anna N

Typos

My daughter is into ways of preserving food. She has learned to can and is learning to pickle and has asked me about waxing hard cheese for storage outside of the refrigerator.

I have absolutely no knowledge of this method of storing cheese.
A very quick Google suggested it was a very bad idea! But she claims she has done some reading, and has not come across anything to discourage her.

So I thought I would reach out.  

This is what I found. 

“Waxing cheese is a method to minimize mold growth on the surface of cheese. It cannot prevent growth or survival of many illness-causing bacteria. In fact, it may promote anaerobic (absence of oxygen) bacteria growth, such as botulism. The practice of waxing cheese for storage is considered extremely unsafe.

Anna N

Anna N

My daughter is into ways of preserving food. She has learned to can and is learning to pickle and has asked me about waxing hard cheese for storage outside of the refrigerator.

I have absolutely no knowledge of this method of storing cheese.
A very quick, Goodel suggested it was a very bad idea! But she claims she has done some reading, and has not come across anything to discourage her.

So I thought I would reach out.  

this is what I found. 

“Waxing cheese is a method to minimize mold growth on the surface of cheese. It cannot prevent growth or survival of many illness-causing bacteria. In fact, it may promote anaerobic (absence of oxygen) bacteria growth, such as botulism. The practice of waxing cheese for storage is considered extremely unsafe.