• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Flame tamer - where do I get a good one and what is a good one?

Sid Post

I have a bad cheap cooktop that doesn't heat evenly which is a secondary thought because I do have cast iron and heavy stainless pans to use.  My real quest is to find a "flame tamer" or whatever you want to call it for use on a camping stove that is a bit of a blow torch.  I'm not looking to cook gourmet meals but, I also don't want a have scorch marks and raw ingredients either.

I think I want an aluminum disc a ~1/4" thick but, I am receptive to other materials as well.  The smallest I need is a 5" diameter and the biggest is 7".

TIA,

Sid

Edited by Sid Post (log)

What @gfweb posted is my favorite.

But I confess to entering a bit of a frenzy during a period in my life where I was enthralled with clay pots.  I purchased these two during said frenzy:  

The Simmer Mat:

https://bramcookware.com/product/simmermat-heat-diffuser/

And the Ilsa:

image.thumb.png.b654be3023328fcb1213075bfc7a5ed2.png

I never was able to experience any advantage to such heavy fancy gear.  

30 minutes ago, AlaMoi said:

I bought

https://bellacopper.stores.yahoo.net/

bazillions of years ago.

solid copper plates - outrageously expensive back then, less expensive now.

cannot wear out - your greatgrandchildren will be using them....

yep  got them and they are awesome,  i have three sizes , and they great for warming tortillas..too

Its good to have Morels

I just use a pan under the pan. 

For a very small saucepan, my 6" cast iron skillet works perfectly. For a medium saucepan, I use a 10" frying pan underneath. Either an iron skillet or all-clad. If you really need to keep things mellow put some water in the outer pan.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Notes from the underbelly