• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

FauxPas

FauxPas

to add link

Are you looking for suggestions in the downtown area? There are lots of choices and I wish I visited Vancouver as often as I used to, so I can only suggest places I used to go to or that I would like to try. Weather will make a difference also. Views and outdoor/rooftop patios aren't quite as appealing in the rain and there is some rain in the forecast. I hope you have some nice weather because Vancouver can be a great walking city. 

Granville Island Public Market is well worth a visit and it's a great place to find picnic fare or lunch or snacks. Taking a little harbour ferry to or from Granville Island can be fun. We used to like the rooftop patio at Sandbar Restaurant. It's not thrilling food, but it was usually good. 

I also used to like Cardero's at the marina by the Westin. It's a nice place to go after a walk along the seawall. 

The other side of the seawall is in the West End (another ferry dock there also) and several restaurants there also. Not sure what I would recommend though, my fave place has closed. 

Joe Fortes Seafood & Chop House is quite popular and I enjoyed it, but it's been years since I've been. Reviews still look good. 

I'd love to visit Fanny Bay Oyster Bar & Seafood Market for their Happy Hour, though it's a little ways away from the downtown core. Fanny Bay (not the restaurant, but the actual Bay where some of their oysters come from) is just south of where we live, so we know and enjoy those oysters. 

Vij's Restaurant seems to get consistently good reviews and several awards. I kept meaning to go, but still haven't. I suspect the menu doesn't really do the food justice. It doesn't have the usual list of biryanis, tikkas and vindaloos. But Spicy 6 does and I think I would definitely check it out if I were hanging out along Robson Street. Speaking of Robson, lots of shopping and several other restaurant choices also! 

There are many other places to eat in the downtown - and also in other areas like Commercial Drive (Little Italy) or the Punjabi Market, if you are willing/able to travel a bit further. 

And of course, Vancouver has a sizeable Chinatown

Not sure I am being of any help here, though! It would be nice if you could hear from someone who has recently spent time dining in the city. 🙂

FauxPas

FauxPas

Are you looking for suggestions in the downtown area? There are lots of choices and I wish I visited Vancouver as often as I used to, so I can only suggest places I used to go to or that I would like to try. Weather will make a difference also. Views and outdoor/rooftop patios aren't quite as appealing in the rain and there is some rain in the forecast. I hope you have some nice weather because Vancouver can be a great walking city. 

Granville Island Public Market is well worth a visit and it's a great place to find picnic fare or lunch or snacks. Taking a little harbour ferry to or from Granville Island can be fun. We used to like the rooftop patio at Sandbar Restaurant. It's not thrilling food, but it was usually good. 

I also used to like Cardero's at the marina by the Westin. It's a nice place to go after a walk along the seawall. 

The other side of the seawall is in the West End (another ferry dock there also) and several restaurants there also. Not sure what I would recommend though, my fave place has closed. 

Joe Fortes Seafood & Chop House is quite popular and I enjoyed it, but it's been years since I've been. Reviews still look good. 

I'd love to visit Fanny Bay Oyster Bar & Seafood Market for their Happy Hour, though it's a little ways away from the downtown core. Fanny Bay (not the restaurant, but the actual Bay where some of their oysters come from) is just south of where we live, so we know and enjoy those oysters. 

Vij's Restaurant seems to get consistently good reviews and several awards. I kept meaning to go, but still haven't. I suspect the menu doesn't really do the food justice. It doesn't have the usual list of biryanis, tikkas and vindaloos. But Spicy 6 does and I think I would definitely check it out if I were hanging out along Robson Street. Speaking of Robson, lots of shopping and several other restaurant choices also! 

There are many other places to eat in the downtown - and also in other areas like Commercial Drive (Little Italy) or the Punjabi Market, if you are willing/able to travel a bit further. 

And of course, Vancouver has a sizeable Chinatown

Not sure I am being of any help here, though! It would be nice if you could hear from someone who has recently spent time dining in the city. 🙂