• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

gfweb

gfweb

17 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

I used to love to go to Wanamaker's as a kid!  They had a train that went around the ceiling of the toy department that you could ride on while your parents went Christmas shopping.  You could look out the windows for a birds-eye view of all the toys and decide what you wanted to ask for on your Christmas list that year.  It was great.  I don't remember the restaurant.  I probably wasn't well-behaved enough to be allowed to eat there 🤣

That train was great.  As close to an amusement park as I ever got as a kid.

Can you imagine the insurance risk it would be today?

The only thing left from that era is the gigantic pipe organ...biggest in the world perhaps. They still use it, staffed, I think, with volunteers.

Re in-store dining..the Urban Outfitters group has put Vetri-related restaurants in some of its classier places.

gfweb

gfweb

10 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

I used to love to go to Wanamaker's as a kid!  They had a train that went around the ceiling of the toy department that you could ride on while your parents went Christmas shopping.  You could look out the windows for a birds-eye view of all the toys and decide what you wanted to ask for on your Christmas list that year.  It was great.  I don't remember the restaurant.  I probably wasn't well-behaved enough to be allowed to eat there 🤣

That train was great.  As close to an amusement park as I ever got as a kid.

Can you imagine the insurance risk it would be today?

The only thing left from that era is the gigantic pipe organ...biggest in the world perhaps. They still use it, staffed, I think, with volunteers.