• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

51. 甲龟 (jiǎ guī)

I should have guessed that as soon as I hung up my hat regarding Guangxi Cuisine, something would turn up which needed mention.

DSC00658.thumb.jpg.b944dd16fafa53a5f253cdf6fe40cdbe.jpg

Someone mentioned 甲龟 (jiǎ guī), turtles, something I never ate in the UK, (although there was ‘mock turtle soup’, whatever that was all about). However, I have made up for my turtle omission since arriving in Guangxi.

It surprises visitors to see live turtles and terrapins crawling around tanks in my local supermarkets but they are a popular local choice. The reptiles are farmed locally under strict conditions to ensure quality and that food safety standards are maintained. Only a few farms are authorised to export the beasts, mainly to Singapore, although that represents a tiny proportion of the output, Annual domestic consumption is estimated to be between 130,000 – 150,000 tons. Singapore imports only an estimated 200 tons per annum.

DSC00659.thumb.jpg.54bc6d5c0e174a861112b257e0e174e6.jpg

The turtle carries a load of symbolic meaning in Chinese mythology and culture, representing tranquillity, steadfastness, longevity, tenacity, endurance, wisdom and wealth among other attributes. For these reasons turtle  soup is often served at wedding banquets.

IMG_4038.thumb.JPG.c5c54c7cbfdb1a291b18fbb60109c1e3.JPG

Turtle Soup at  Wedding Banquet

In fact, it’s just as well the turtles have the symbolism, because they don’t have much in the way of meat or flavour. If gelatinous, chewy textures appeal to you, as they do to many Chinese palates, then turtle is for you. There are streets here in Liuzhou where every restaurant is selling turtle.

The soup is always served with the carapace (top shell), presumably to assure you it is real, although of course it does no such thing. They could have been reusing the same shell for years.

liuzhou

liuzhou

51. 甲龟 (jiǎ guī)

I should have guessed that as soon as I hung up my hat regarding Guangxi Cuisine, something would turn up which needed mention.

Someone mentioned 甲龟 (jiǎ guī), turtles, something I never ate in the UK, (although there was ‘mock turtle soup’, whatever that was). However, I have made up for my turtle omission since arriving in Guangxi.

It surprises visitors to see live turtles and terrapins crawling around tanks in my local supermarkets but they are a popular local choice. The reptiles are farmed locally under strict conditions to ensure quality and that food safety standards are maintained. Only a few farms are authorised to export the beasts, mainly to Singapore, although that represents a tiny proportion of the output, Annual domestic consumption is estimated to be between 130,000 – 150,000 tons. Singapore imports only an estimated 200 tons per annum.

The turtle carries a load of symbolic meaning in Chinese mythology and culture, representing tranquillity, steadfastness, longevity, tenacity, endurance, wisdom and wealth among other attributes. For these reasons turtle  soup is often served at wedding banquets.

In fact, it’s just as well the turtles have the symbolism, because they don’t have much in the way of meat or flavour. If gelatinous, chewy textures appeal to you, as they do to many Chinese palates, then turtle is for you. There are streets here in Liuzhou where every restaurant is selling turtle.

The soup is always served with the carapace (top shell), presumably to assure you it is real, although of course it does no such thing. They could have been reusing the same shell for years.

liuzhou

liuzhou

51. 甲龟 (jiǎ guī)

Someonementioned 甲龟 (jiǎ guī), turtles, something I never ate in the UK, (although there was ‘mock turtle soup’, whatever that was). However, I have made up for my turtle omission since arriving in China.

It surprises visitors to see live turtles and terrapins crawling around tanks in my local supermarkets but they are a popular choice. The reptiles are farmed locally under strict conditions to ensure quality and that food safety standards are maintained. Only a few farms are authorised to export the beasts, mainly to Singapore, although that represents a tiny proportion of the output, Annual domestic consumption is estimated to be between 130,000 – 150,000 tons. Singapore imports only an estimated 200 tons per annum.

liuzhou

liuzhou

51. 甲龟 (jiǎ guī)

It’s all @Kerala's fault, but I should have guessed that as soon as I hung up my hat regarding Guangxi Cuisine, something would turn up which needed mention.

Kerala was talking about Scotland over here and mentioned 甲龟 (jiǎ guī), turtles, something I never ate in Scotland, (although there was ‘mock turtle soup’, whatever that was). However, I have made up for my turtle omission since arriving in China.

It surprises visitors to see live turtles and terrapins crawling around tanks in my local supermarkets but they are a popular choice. The reptiles are farmed locally under strict conditions to ensure quality and that food safety standards are maintained. Only a few farms are authorised to export the beasts, mainly to Singapore, although that represents a tiny proportion of the output, Annual domestic consumption is estimated to be between 130,000 – 150,000 tons. Singapore imports only an estimated 200 tons per annum.