• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

On 11/22/2022 at 9:31 PM, KennethT said:

Interesting timing - I was just having a conversation about rice porridge and the names for it.  Is zhou different from congee?  Is congee the Cantonese name?  I've also heard the word congee used by Taiwanese (admittedly on the airplane when I used to fly EVA to Asia) when speaking to English speakers - I don't know what they called it in Taiwanese.

Congee, also spelled conjee or conji is actually an Indian word. It comes from the Tamil word 'kanji' meaning the water the rice was boiled in. It was borrowed into English in the 17th century, possibly via Portuguese. I'd guess the Taiwanese you heard using 'congee' picked it up from English.

Congee in its modern meaning and - zhōu are the same. Zhou is also used in Taiwan - most Taiwanese use Mandarin, but it is muê () in Taiwanwese and may have yet other names in other native dialects.

It is 'jook' in Cantonese - 'zuk1' in jyutping transliteration.

liuzhou

liuzhou

6 hours ago, KennethT said:

Interesting timing - I was just having a conversation about rice porridge and the names for it.  Is zhou different from congee?  Is congee the Cantonese name?  I've also heard the word congee used by Taiwanese (admittedly on the airplane when I used to fly EVA to Asia) when speaking to English speakers - I don't know what they called it in Taiwanese.

Congee, also spelled conjee or conji is actually an Indian word. It comes from the Tamil word 'kanji' meaning the water the rice was boiled in. It was borrowed into English in the 17th century, possibly via Portuguese. I'd guess the Taiwanese you heard using 'congee' picked it up from English.

Congee in its modern meaning and - zhōu are the same. Zhou is also used in Taiwan - most Taiwanese use Mandarin, but it is muê () Taiwanwese and may have yet other names in other native dialects.

liuzhou

liuzhou

4 hours ago, KennethT said:

Congee in its modern meaning and 粥 - zhōu are the same. Zhou is also used in Taiwan - most Taiwanese use Mandarin, but it is muê (糜) in native Taiwanese and may have different names in some other native dialects.

liuzhou

liuzhou

40 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Congee in its modern meaning and 粥 - zhōu are the same. Zhou is also used in Taiwan - most Taiwanese use Mandarin, though it may have different names in some native Taiwanese dialects.

liuzhou

liuzhou

35 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Congee in its modern meaning and 粥 - zhōu are the same. Zhou is also used in Taiwan - most Taiwanese use Mandarin, though it may have different names in some native Taiwanese dialects.

It is 'jook' in Cantonese.

liuzhou

liuzhou

34 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Congee and zhou are the same. Zhou is also used in Taiwan, though it may have different names in some dialects. It is 'jook' in Cantonese.

liuzhou

liuzhou

32 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Congee, also spelled conjee, conji is actually an Indian word. It comes from the Tamil word 'kanji' meaning the water the rice was boiled in. It was borrowed into English in the 17th century, possibly via Portuguese. I'd guess the Taiwanese you heard using 'congee' picked it up from English.

Congee and zhou are the same. Zhou is also used in Taiwan, though it may have different names in some dialects. It is 'jook' in Cantonese.

liuzhou

liuzhou

19 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Congee, also spelled conjee, conji is actually an Indian word. It comes from the Tamil word 'kanji' meaning the water the rice was boiled in. It was borrowed into English in the 17th century. I'd guess the Taiwanese you heard using 'congee' picked it up from English.