• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

French Truffles

AAQuesada

I am getting a small amount (One, who knows) very very high quality French Truffle (I believe) from a local importer I did a favor for coming Monday. Looking for any suggestions to make the most of it. Is there a good Primer on the topic somewhere on the inter webs? I'm thinking peel and use the peelings to infuse in water for a truffle jus, one of my books has a suggestion of poaching whole in a mushroom Madeira broth thereby getting two products out of it the whole truffle and the broth? Any other suggestions? is it worth making truffle oil from the peeling instead of the jus. Pasta or risotto or something else? 

Excited but nervous about f'n it up!

• Like 1

It depends on your desired outcome:

If you really just want to stretch out the truffle aroma (and it is just that - stretching something out), making an infusion in oil might be your best chance. 

If you want to stretch out the time you can enjoy your truffle, you can freeze it and grate it from frozen in your dishes over a period of several months, before the aroma fades away.

If you want to make the experience last and stretch out its memory, I suggest to make an omelette or scrambled eggs and grate your truffle over it - bold, and without remorse. And the memory of that will last much longer than options 1 & 2 …

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, weinoo said:

So you know to store it wrapped in paper towel, and I like to put it into a lidded container with 4 (or more) eggs.

Change paper towel daily, but use up quickly.

Why eggs?  Is the idea to flavor the eggs or do the eggs somehow preserve the truffle?

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I  was told paper towel in a glass jar with a microfiber towel or sous vide. Change the paper towel daily. 

She keeps them in a kimchi fridge i believe 

I've been told no rice or eggs then you get great tasting eggs but it dulls the actual truffle flavor 

Edited by AAQuesada (log)

7 hours ago, AAQuesada said:

I've been told no rice or eggs then you get great tasting eggs but it dulls the actual truffle flavor 

I've certainly read that rice is not good, as it dries the truffle out, but never heard or read anything about eggs taking anything away from the truffle flavor.

7 hours ago, AAQuesada said:

I  was told paper towel in a glass jar with a microfiber towel or sous vide.

I don't understand this - can you explain microfiber towel or sous vide?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Here is a little primer on the types of truffles...Truffles of the World

And a reasonable truffle care guide.

Tip 1: Store fresh eggs in the same container as your truffles. The slightly permeable eggshell allows those amazing fresh truffle flavours to infuse, giving you the perfect ingredient for a deliciously rich, truffled omelette.

Tip 2: Don’t throw away the paper towel once you’ve unwrapped the truffle. Putting it in your jar of arborio rice will add tantalising hints of truffle to your next risotto.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

10 hours ago, gfweb said:

The eggs are scented by truffle flavor  that escapes the fungus during storage.  Eggs capture that wasted flavor which would leave the truffle whether eggs are  there or not.

And then they are perfect for making brouillade aux truffes!

image.thumb.jpeg.8e2d6c193af52d65af4af6e27a99187f.jpeg

Here I served it with some toasts and potato pancakes.

• Like 1
  • Delicious 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog