• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eggless citrus curd (modernist cuisine 4-234) recipe explanation needed.

kostbill

Hello.

I want to cook the eggless citrus curd from MC (4-234) but I don't understand the first step. I also tried to find it online, but I cannot find any reference.

There is a broken link here in egullet, but no matter how much I searched, I couldn't find any implementation.

So, the recipe starts with whole lemons, in a mason jar, inside a pressure cooker filled with 2.5 cm of water.

Questions:

- No water or any other liquid in the mason jars?

- Should I close the lid of the mason jar?

- I don't have access to mason jars in Greece. What else can I use? I imagine that, if the mason jar is left open, then I could use any other jar strong enough to hold the pressure.

- If the mason jars are a must, then perhaps I could cook the lemons in a different way? Roast them? Sous vide them?

Thanks.

Edited by Smithy
Adjusted title for clarity (log)

36 minutes ago, kostbill said:

Thanks for the answer.

The recipe also does not mention to put the lid on.

Perhaps the purpose of this, is to apply pressure on the lemons. No idea why.

But the other option according to what I was able to find was to vacuum  seal the lemons in a retort pouch. That would seem to indicate to me that a lid should be put on the mason jar. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Yes this is correct. I didn't notice that. So then I will close the lid.

The other problem I have is that I cannot find Propylene glycol alginate here in Greece, so I will go with gum arabic, it can tolerate low pH and I will mix it with some xanthan that can also tolerate low pH.

Anyway, I have very low expectations about this.

Thanks for the answers!