• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ninja Woodfire™ Pro Outdoor Grill

weinoo

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

is this an electric skillet , w ridges 

that has a top

and a place to burn wood pellets ?

Kind of. Plus a fan for the "air fryer" function.  Much like their indoor grills, I believe what they refer to as the grill grate is more or less a ceramic-coated non-stick ridged grill pan with an opening at the back to allow fat to drain into the removable grease tray underneath. They sell a flat-top griddle that looks like it would drain in the same way.

The crisper basket seems to hold food above the grate so the fan can pull air through. 

I see people saying they are using regular pellets, not just the Ninja brand, so that's a plus. 

10 minutes ago, rotuts said:

there is potential here

for a small market 

w outdoor space , but limited

Yeah, I think it would appeal to the apartment/condo market that aren't allowed to have gas or charcoal grills on their balconies or patios.  Assuming they have a pretty good sized budget.  Once you add the cost of the little cart ($179) and assuming you want the premium version with integrated thermometer, the price really adds up. 

22 minutes ago, rotuts said:

as long as it really works 

and lasts.

The only way we're gonna know this, @rotuts - is when you buy one and start using it!!  

It does appear to be one of those Ninja-y things with assorted uses, even sans wood.

• Haha 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

36 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Assuming they have a pretty good sized budget.

I am assuming that a good part of the cost comes from making it weatherproof given that it is an electrical appliance. Marketing suggests that it can be left outside.
There are few reasons that I can come up with why one might want one of these other than the smoking function. Seems their indoor grills do the same thing but can’t be left outside. But look out wrong I was about their ice cream maker!

Edited by Anna N
A bit of clarification. (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

9 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I am assuming that a good part of the cost comes from making it weatherproof given that it is an electrical appliance.

Yes. It looks like they’ve incorporated a GFI sort of shut off into the power cord and I’m sure there are other considerations on the unit itself. 

18 minutes ago, Anna N said:

There are few reasons that I can come up with why one might want one of these other than the smoking function. Seems their indoor grills do the same thing but can’t be left outside.

Yes, i agree that smoking would be the big selling point.  Being able to keep it and use it outside has some appeal to me.  My kitchen has only 2 outlets and no exhaust hood.  If the air fryer function worked well enough, that would be a plus. On the other hand, maybe I should just put the money towards a functional hood fund 🙃

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

@Anna N 

excellet 

so 

who puts $ 500  into this ?

thats a very neutral statement 

the Ninja Cabal

has certain hopes ? 

The more I think about it the more I wonder if the fact that it requires an electrical outlet makes it a limited choice for outdoors. Some of us are fortunate to have outdoor outlets but otherwise it’s a matter of extension cords which are rarely a good idea. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 9 months later...