• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ninja Woodfire™ Pro Outdoor Grill

weinoo

Woodfire technology powered by electricity. Think about that. 😂

wonder where they found the outlet in that wonderful outdoor setting. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

4 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Woodfire technology powered by electricity. Think about that. 😂

wonder where they found the outlet in that wonderful outdoor setting. 

The Ninja outdoor generator?

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

21 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Cooking flavored by pellet smoke.

There's both a level of precision and bogus-ity in that.

Yes. Their ad agency is expert at word twisting. Nevertheless one cannot deny there are numbers of people we know on here who have various Ninja gadgets and find them very appealing. 

• Like 4

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Yes. Their ad agency is expert at word twisting. Nevertheless one cannot deny there are numbers of people we know on here who have various Ninja gadgets and find them very appealing. 

This is why I posted it.  Also, there are those who use electric smokers where the smoke does come from pellets or chips.

• Like 3

Tasty Travails - My Blog

21 minutes ago, weinoo said:

This is why I posted it.  Also, there are those who use electric smokers where the smoke does come from pellets or chips.

Thanks. I will be very much surprised if somebody here doesn’t take it for a spin.
I am very much aware of electric pellet smokers. I have just never seen any advertised as though they were being used in some pristine wilderness. 

I was one of the early adopters of one of the Ninja small appliances (seen on T.V.?) and have never quite got over my scepticism of their technology despite plenty of evidence that I should suck it up. 

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

I'd  consider it. I don’t have an outdoor grill.  A justification for getting one is that I’d be able to use it when the power is out and of course that wouldn’t be a factor with this one.  
I’m not at all a fan of their marketing but the products I’ve used (multi-function blender, Creami and a Shark vacuum) have all been solid. 
I surely won’t be the first but I’ll be watching this space. 

• Like 2

Perhaps @andiesenji has already been sent one to review.

I look at it and think its small for cooking for a family and unsuitable for tailgating because of the power need.

But I bet it could be used without pellets and therefore OK for urban apt use....or dorm room.

• Like 2

My first reaction was utter skepticism.  I remember buying a yard sale electric grill (Ronco, maybe?  Something similar undoubtedly.) when my wife and I had just gotten married and didn't know any better.  The only thing that was not utterly useless about it was the grate, which I continue to use as a cooling and baking rack today (20 years later).

However, this looks like a cross between an air fryer and an electric smoker.  And I do use an electric smoker (albeit, one that uses real wood chips, not fancy pucks or pellets).  As for air fryers, they may prove a fad, but certainly seem to have some usefulness, that I certainly can imagine providing some approximation of real grilling.

I can;t say that I will bite the bullet.  When I want real wood flavor, I cut it, rather than buy it pellitized.  But I will not be shocked to see it develop some real fans.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Anna N said:

Thanks. I will be very much surprised if somebody here doesn’t take it for a spin.
I am very much aware of electric pellet smokers. I have just never seen any advertised as though they were being used in some pristine wilderness. 

I was one of the early adopters of one of the Ninja small appliances (seen on T.V.?) and have never quite got over my scepticism of their technology despite plenty of evidence that I should suck it up. 

Which was it?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

13 hours ago, gfweb said:

I look at it and think its small for cooking for a family and unsuitable for tailgating because of the power need.

I know - it looks small, but the features include:

Feed a crowd

Cook 2 racks of ribs, 6 steaks, 3 lbs of wings, a 9-lb brisket, or up to 30 hot dogs.

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

7 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Which was it?

I seem to think it was some sort of Bullet knock-off. 

• Thanks 1

My 2004 eG Blog

7 hours ago, weinoo said:

I know - it looks small, but the features include:

Feed a crowd

Cook 2 racks of ribs, 6 steaks, 3 lbs of wings, a 9-lb brisket, or up to 30 hot dogs.

Not very likely, at least for the ribs (I guess it depends on their definition of "rack" certainly not even full racks of baby backs) and the steaks would have to be pretty small.  I am also skeptical of a 9lb brisket fitting.  Wings and dogs likely have to be stacked.

I am a fan of the indoor Ninja grills.  I have the smaller one and maybe someday I will get the larger XL version, but this smoker version is not for me.  Maybe if I lived in an apartment where a real smoker isn't practical.  Still, I bet that liquid smoke would give more predictable and better results on the indoor versions (and easier cleanup).  You're certainly never going to get a smoke ring with the grill.  

Edited by mgaretz (log)
  • Like 2

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

I have 2 Cameron stove-top smoker grills.  For what I want, they work like a charm.  I have both the regular size and the mini.  Both are induction compatible.  The other day I smoked a rack of baby back ribs.  Tonight I will do some fish.

https://cameronsproducts.com/product/original-stainless-steel-smoker-value-pack-3-bonus-pints-wood-chips/

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mgaretz said:

I am a fan of the indoor Ninja grills.  I have the smaller one and maybe someday I will get the larger XL version, but this smoker version is not for me.  

And I was hoping you'd be the one, skeptic that you are!

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

I have a couple of Ninja products that I use a lot and love, the Creami, and a 16 oz personal-sized blender. Both are well-made and do their job well, and the Creami is unique to the market, at least at a price for a regular consumer (as opposed to the PacoJet). Looking at the rest of their products, I have yet to see anything that appeals to me, including the new grill. I suppose I might go for one of their reasonably priced blenders for the vacation house - if renters lift it I won’t be out a lot. I could maybe see the new grill as something useful for a person with limited space (small balcony) but I think there are better alternatives. It also seems super pricey for a small table-top grill/smoker.  For that price, if I wanted to smoke and grill, and had limited space, I’d rather get a small kamado-style grill.

• Like 1

On 10/19/2022 at 10:57 AM, mgaretz said:

Wings and dogs likely have to be stacked.

The 30 dogs aren't stacked in this photo from their website, but they sure do look cozy! 

feed-a-crowd@2x.jpg.jpeg.d763d41982cace9bc83e63f5b71da6aa.jpeg

Given the grill marks, I'd say they were cooked in batches and lined up in there for the photo. 

And here are wings going in for a smoke in a screen cap from this YouTube video

1463694359_Image10-20-22at9_48AM.thumb.jpeg.081cab9d3b8fbba2aecda6d764d78bbd.jpeg

At one point, the woman in that video says Ninja can make good appliances but they can't write a decent recipe booklet!  

Here's the 2 racks of baby backs, cut in half, from this YouTube video reviewing the unit:

BD1FA7DA-5F5A-4B77-AF17-D29D7EE40A63.thumb.jpeg.f348ca7fbec62355940ef36d7b1f49f3.jpeg

On 10/19/2022 at 10:57 AM, mgaretz said:

I am also skeptical of a 9lb brisket fitting

Here's a 7.5 lb pork butt going into the smoker (from this YouTube video), so it looks like a 9 lb brisket might just fit.  Though as she points out in one of the videos, it's not always easy to find a 9 lb brisket and you probably can't fit anything much bigger. 

8E08857A-DF75-4BD3-9385-14A85551DFC1.thumb.jpeg.b724fa817e41724d938c83e7212408ce.jpeg

Edited by blue_dolphin
to add ribs & brisky (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1