• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Batch cooking: one large batch, many small meals. Share your ideas!

Marlene

Since I don’t use a crust on quiche, and since we never eat all of a nine-inch one, I’ve taken to lining ramekins with parchment paper and making four indivual ones instead of one big one. I freeze them in the ramekins, pop out and remove the parchment, them vacuum seal individually and toss back in the freezer. 20 minutes at 325 in the CSO on steam bake, and they taste like just-baked.

• Like 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

• 2 weeks later...

I guess this counts sort of as batch cooking.  It was time to make up more bbq sauce as I used the last on the ribs on the weekend.  This is a honey bourbon sauce that I use on ribs, chicken and pork chops.  I used a maple bourbon based one for pulled pork and a bourbon cinnamon chili sauce for brisket. (sensing a bourbon theme here yet? ) 

This makes quite a bit and I blend it for smoothness and have to blend it in two batches since it won't all fit at once in the blender.  You could use a stick blender of course.   Something I've never really mastered for one reason or another.  You can can this the same as preserves if you like, but even without that, it keeps a good long time in the fridge.  I'll keep 4 jars of this for myself and the rest goes to my son and friends that are coming to spend the weekend

sauce.jpg

sauce blended.jpg

sauce jars.jpg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

18 hours ago, TdeV said:

Can you give us a recipe, @Marlene? I have a lot of bourbon bought for someone's ex-husband who won't be visiting any more.

Sounds like all the scotch I used to have lol.  You want the recipe for the bbq sauce?

Marlene

3 hours ago, TdeV said:

Yes, please, @Marlene. Your recipe for bbq sauce.

I've put it in Recipe Gullet :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Marlene

• 1 month later...

Made a batch of Shepherd's pies up for the freezer.  For the purists, it's technically cottage pie as it is made with beef, not lamb, but here in Canada at least in my neck of the woods, we tend to call it Shepherd's pie regardless and I've been calling it that all my life and at my age am unlikely to change now :P  To be further non conformist, I also added some shredded cheddar cheese to the mashed potato topping as well.  I kept one out and had it for dinner last night as well.  I also love this deep electric skillet that I got a couple of years ago.  its perfect for this sort of large batch cooking 

browning beef.jpg

into containers.jpg

add mashed.jpg

ready to freeze.jpg

ready to eat.jpg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 2

Marlene

• 2 months later...

I had 4 huge heads of celery to do stuff with.  This morning was the battle.   Celery 3 ways, braised-ish in IP with a splash of Yondu sauce (thanks @btbyrd); pickled in leftover pickle brine, and a radicchio/tender hearts and leaves of celery/diced prunes salad dressed in a honey mustard/mayo/fruit vinegar concoction.

The braised stuff is very good, I will eat it as a side happily and I want to try it in champ-style mashed potatoes (because a certain Saints day is on the horizon).

The pickled stuff is really nice, I sweetened it up a bit.  This will be good on burgers, hot dogs, salads and over hot rice.

I'm really interested to see how the radicchio salad is received.  It's really not that bitter, but you never know.

IMG_1304.jpg

IMG_1303.jpg

IMG_1302.jpg

IMG_1301.jpg

Edited by lemniscate
clarity (log)
  • Like 7