• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Marlene

Marlene

I really got into more batch cooking 5 years ago, and the pandemic ramped that up even more as you never knew what the grocery store would be out of at any given time.  One day you could buy bread but not yeast or flour for example.   Currently I have on hand, spaghetti sauce, beef stew, chili, shepherd's pies, penne and cheese, brisket, pulled pork, small containers of beef gravy (because sometimes a girl just needs fries and gravy!), bacon , brioche buns and chocolate muffins

I always make large batches of chicken and turkey stock frozen in 2 cup portions and those are easy to pull out to make up a quick soup.   I'll buy  chicken in bulk from costco and freeze them individually and then can take out say a chicken breast to roast up quickly to add to the chicken stock base for soup.  The hamburger packages there are perfect for spaghetti and shepherd's pie batching. 

Over the next couple of weeks, I will need to work on some batch soups as dental surgery is going to require at least a couple of weeks of liquid and soft foods.  Other things I regularly batch make in individual portions are:

chicken pot pies (grocery store rotisserie chickens are great for these if you don't happen to have a left over roast chicken hanging about)

Beef pot pies

Cheese souffles

parmesan gnocchi 

pizza dough

bread dough

lasagna (but I really hate making it so don't do it too often)

Burgers I forgot burgers, though my son also makes an excellent burger and quite often he will batch enough for both of us. 

I'm thinking I'll get even more inspiration from you guys!

freezer stock.jpg

chicken stock.jpg

Marlene

Marlene

I really got into more batch cooking 5 years ago, and the pandemic ramped that up even more as you never knew what the grocery store would be out of at any given time.  One day you could buy bread but not yeast or flour for example.   Currently I have on hand, spaghetti sauce, beef stew, chili, shepherd's pies, penne and cheese, brisket, pulled pork, small containers of beef gravy (because sometimes a girl just needs fries and gravy!), bacon , brioche buns and chocolate muffins

I always make large batches of chicken and turkey stock frozen in 2 cup portions and those are easy to pull out to make up a quick soup.   I'll buy  chicken in bulk from costco and freeze them individually and then can take out say a chicken breast to roast up quickly to add to the chicken stock base for soup.  The hamburger packages there are perfect for spaghetti and shepherd's pie batching. 

Over the next couple of weeks, I will need to work on some batch soups as dental surgery is going to require at least a couple of weeks of liquid and soft foods.  Other things I regularly batch make in individual portions are:

chicken pot pies (grocery store rotisserie chickens are great for these if you don't happen to have a left over roast chicken hanging about)

Beef pot pies

Cheese souffles

parmesan gnocchi 

pizza dough

bread dough

freezer stock.jpg

chicken stock.jpg

Marlene

Marlene

chicken pot pies (grocery store rotisserie chickens are great for these if you don't happen to have a left over roast chicken hanging about

Beef pot pies

Cheese souffles

parmesan gnocchi 

pizza dough

bread dough

freezer stock.jpg

chicken stock.jpg