• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best commercially available red wine vinegar for everyday use?

Shel_B

1 hour ago, Dave the Cook said:

From a group that seems to have an opinion about nearly everything food-related, this is a little surprising. Maybe everyone else is happy with Pompeian, Regina or Napa Valley Natural?

Thread is now "Which grape should I grow to make red wine vinegar" 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

1 hour ago, Dave the Cook said:

From a group that seems to have an opinion about nearly everything food-related, this is a little surprising. Maybe everyone else is happy with Pompeian, Regina or Napa Valley Natural?

Not necessarily.  I've been using the Katz vinegars for quite a few years and only wish I could recommend them but they were too expensive for your budget ($1.10/oz) and very sadly, they're no longer available.  

I bought 10 bottles back in March when they announced their "Last Call" so I've have a bit of a stash.  

Prior to Katz, I was using Kimberley Wine Vinegars, readily available at While Foods.  At ~ $1/oz, also out of range.

• Like 2

Its actually very easy to make your own red wine vinegar, well, obviously not for instant gratification but could definitely fit the price constraint.

I've had good luck with some super oaky Spanish reds that mellowed out and made incredible vinegar. It did take a bunch of time and now I am all out. Perhaps, time to start the next batch.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

No one else likes Martin Pouret?

I do !!!!  But I don't have any.

On 10/13/2022 at 9:29 PM, Dave the Cook said:

Up to $0.75 (US) per ounce/30 ml.    Go.

I find the question a little...questionable.  How'd you come up with $.75/ounce?  Why is that the delimiter?

I mean, how much vinegar does one go through?  Is this a vinegar for a daily use? Once a week? To make vinegar pickles?  To clean the shower doors?

A small bit of googling for best, inexpensive red wine vinegars does indeed turn up Pompeian (from a number of different sites) and any number of others.

FWIW, I like Forum vinegars - but they're probably a bit too pricey for this.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

6 hours ago, weinoo said:

I find the question a little...questionable.  How'd you come up with $.75/ounce?  Why is that the delimiter?

I asked myself how much I'd pay for a 12 oz. bottle of wine vinegar. I answered, "Nine dollars seems reasonable." That's 75 cents per ounce. Yes, it's a bit random, but that's my number, for now. Is it too high? Too low?

I mean, how much vinegar does one go through?  Is this a vinegar for a daily use? Once a week? To make vinegar pickles?  To clean the shower doors?

The topic title says "for daily use," so the answer to your second question is obviously "Yes." But, to be honest, we don't really use it every day. Between vinaigrettes, marinades and balancing a sauce (usually something long-cooked), and yes, doing a little quick pickling, it's maybe three times a week on average. Now that I think about it, we probably use as much rice and sherry vinegar as red-wine.

A small bit of googling for best, inexpensive red wine vinegars does indeed turn up Pompeian (from a number of different sites) and any number of others.

Your point being what? Do you really think that wasn't the first thing I did? I wanted the opinion of people here.

FWIW, I like Forum vinegars - but they're probably a bit too pricey for this.

Indeed they are. How often do you use it?

4 hours ago, lemniscate said:

Colavita (eG-friendly Amazon.com link).  Product of Italy.  $0.17 per ounce on Amazon Fresh.

4 hours ago, kayb said:

Glad someone said Colavita. I know it’s not the best, but it works just fine for me.

42 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I use Colavita white wine vinegar.

Saveur magazine says Colavita is the best red wine vinegar around (I get 23 cents per ounce from Amazon, but whatevs).

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

20 hours ago, AAQuesada said:

Lol pretty sure Villux is the correct answer for highest quality/price I'm seeing 7.49$ for 750ml. Happy to be proven wrong though! 

I'm not ignoring you. I just want to hear what everyone else has to say.

14 hours ago, KAD said:

Its actually very easy to make your own red wine vinegar, well, obviously not for instant gratification but could definitely fit the price constraint.

I've had good luck with some super oaky Spanish reds that mellowed out and made incredible vinegar. It did take a bunch of time and now I am all out. Perhaps, time to start the next batch.

You're probably right, but if I gave up space to every "very easy" project for creating an everyday food item, I wouldn't have room to actually cook! 

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

17 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

No one else likes Martin Pouret?

I do, but I don't have any either.  And the place where I'd been buying it -- Zabar's, NYC -- has confirmed that they don't carry it anymore.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, Dave the Cook said:

I asked myself how much I'd pay for a 12 oz. bottle of wine vinegar. I answered, "Nine dollars seems reasonable." That's 75 cents per ounce. Yes, it's a bit random, but that's my number, for now. Is it too high? Too low?

The topic title says "for daily use," so the answer to your second question is obviously "Yes." But, to be honest, we don't really use it every day. Between vinaigrettes, marinades and balancing a sauce (usually something long-cooked), and yes, doing a little quick pickling, it's maybe three times a week on average. Now that I think about it, we probably use as much rice and sherry vinegar as red-wine.

Your point being what? Do you really think that wasn't the first thing I did? I wanted the opinion of people here.

This line above was  about googling, which I think a lot of people here do, and which I did to see what a consensus (via googling) was, since all the vinegars I have in my pantry are above your price point.

But I think a better way to look at this might be how frequently do you buy the stuff? Once I read a little bit more via googling, it seems to me that vinegar (once opened) might be better refrigerated, which I don't do. Therefore, I should probably be replacing my vinegars once every 6 months or so.  At that rate, I can afford a 16 oz. or so bottle evem if it runs $20.  If I were using a bottle of it every week, I might drop down to the $8 - $10 range, and come in way under your preferred price point!

Vinegar is interesting - the googled everyday vinegars run pretty cheap. (Pompeian, Colavita, Roland, et al.). Once you move past those, the vinegars tend to run over $1/oz.

• Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

• 2 weeks later...

I've used this Roland from France for several years, very delicious and mellow esp considering its 7% acidity.

https://rolandfoods.com/product/70572-french-red-wine-vinegar

The 1l bottle was $11.54 about a year ago from Walmart online, so ~.34/ounce. (Out of stock however, when I looked just now.) I've seen a 1-gallon U.S.-made Roland red wine vinegar at Smart & Final; have not tried.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/15/2022 at 3:45 PM, blue_dolphin said:

Not necessarily.  I've been using the Katz vinegars for quite a few years and only wish I could recommend them but they were too expensive for your budget ($1.10/oz) and very sadly, they're no longer available.  

I bought 10 bottles back in March when they announced their "Last Call" so I've have a bit of a stash.  

Replying to myself to report that the Katz vinegars are available once again after a hiatus.  Still too expensive for the OP of this thread but they're very tasty.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Since discovering sherry vinegar I almost never reach for regular red wine versions. This palomino vinegar is a great all-purpose choice, and costs around 72¢ an ounce. Makes everything better.

One red wine vinegar I still keep around, mostly for certain kinds of vinaigrettes, is this Grenache vinegar. Very bright and fruity, in a way that sherry vinegar never is. But it's over the budget, especially if you include shipping (they have it on Amazon for about $1.40/oz last I checked).

Notes from the underbelly

3 hours ago, paulraphael said:

Since discovering sherry vinegar I almost never reach for regular red wine versions. This palomino vinegar is a great all-purpose choice, and costs around 72¢ an ounce. Makes everything better.

I'm a bit fan of this vinegar also and am the way.  I have an old bottle of red wine vinegar sitting in teh back of the cabinet - it probably hasn't been touched in 15 years...

• Like 1

Now I'll have to be on the look out for red Banyuls vinegar! Didn't know it was a thing. I have seen the MP vinegars here in LA but only some of the flavored ones that don't interest me so much. 

Also wanted to recommend again some of the Spanish vinegars I mentioned above, just fantastic flavor 

• 5 months later...