• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ISO Classic Italian deli meat sauce recipe

Margaret Pilgrim

Our son has repeatedly begged me to try to duplicate the meat and mushroom "gravy" he used to buy at now closed Lucca Deli in SF..    I've made a couple of tries, all good but not deli clones.    This is not the same as what "nonna" made, but a readily identifiable and distinct thing on its own right.  

Any thoughts?

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

I’ve never tasted it.    Lucca Deli in San Francisco seems to still be open when I google it.  Did they just stop making the sauce?

Failing some EGullet member with a fair amount of experience cooking Italian food having had it, I would suggest trying to find a clone online (I looked, no luck - but I’m not the best at such things) or calling them and begging for some clue.  Or asking you son to.

Sorry I can’t be of much help.

Lucca Deli is open for business. Lucca Ravioli is the shop that closed. Here's a generic clue that might help out:

The key, he says, along with roasting his own meats and grinding his own seasonings, is the soffritto -- a base of onions, garlic and Italian herbs sauteed in olive oil. All three varieties of tomato sauce (mushroom, marinara, and meat and mushroom) are then simmered for more than six hours.

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

1 minute ago, Joe Blowe said:

Lucca Deli is open for business. Lucca Ravioli is the shop that closed. Here's a generic clue that might help out:

I found the same thing after googling a bit more, including the 2006 review you cited.  It mentions the mushrooms are macerated, in addition to the contents of the soffrito.   Not much to go on.   A description from someone who’s eaten it would help