• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TDG: Desperate Measures: Roasted Broccoli

mikeczyz

On 10/9/2022 at 1:48 PM, AlaMoi said:

seeking pan roasting guru for vegetables.....
we've had super roasted vegetables in multiple places - some surprising places, like convention buffet offerings...
I've done many attempts, used many vegetables.  some worked some not worked.
we eat pretty much any good stuff, I've listed the candidates below.  
#1 - obviously(!) not everything listed is used every time...
#2 - some of the stuff has different cooking times... some is par-cooked and added, some goes in at the 'medium to last' minute

"The Problem"
seasoning.
salt&freshgroundpepper is a given, but really good dishes had other seasonings that smack the dish into orbit.
_that's_ where I'm trying to go.

personally I'm adverse to sage (bad history, captive history with sage on everything....) and
both DW and myself are "soapy" tasting cilantro types.
I have a large herb/spice cabinet filled to overflowing.....

so, seeking seasoning guru with advice on how to dress up the salt/pepper/olive oil roasting pan of veggies....

things used - not "all" - but these we eat:
potato - chunked - white/gold/red
sweet potato - chunked
carrots
cauliflower
asparagus - tips & short stalks
zucchini - sliced or speared
butternut squash
acorn squash
Delicata squash
broccoli
onion 'shells' - yellow / sweet / Vidalia - not red
small shallot
pearl onion
sweet green/red/yellow pepper
red beets
fennel root - sliced
mushrooms
turnips - chunked
parsnips - chunked

Potato, onion, pearl onion, turnips, mushrooms — surprisingly, Lipton onion soup mix!

In general, I like to use thyme and rosemary on most things. 

Sweet veggies like sweet potatoes, squash, carrots, etc., are good with chili powder. 

Asparagus, zucchini and broccoli are great with lemon juice and pine nuts, sprinkled after roasting with grated Parmigiana or Romano.

Cauliflower is really good with either curry powder or ras el hanout. So are carrots.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

thanks for all the ideas. 

as variously mentioned, the question is not about a roasting a single vegetable, but a combination of 4-6/7 items, as is common practice.

the guru's noticed the OP:

"#1 - obviously(!) not everything listed is used every time..."

sorry if I misled people into thinking this was a 19 vegetable roasting . . .

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, AlaMoi said:

as variously mentioned, the question is not about a roasting a single vegetable, but a combination of 4-6/7 items, as is common practice.

So, a combination of at least 4 but less than 19 vegetables? 🙃

I love roasted vegetables but I’m not a guru so it is not common practice for me to combine that many for roasting together. I’m just not as gifted as some in determining the optimal cut size for each veg to allow them all to reach doneness simultaneously. I may put a few different veg (always less than 4😉) on a tray but I keep them separated so it’s easy to remove one and return the rest to the oven to continue roasting. 

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AlaMoi said:

Have to say, I'm utterly baffled!  I *think* you're asking for a recipe that has seasoning ideas for a selection of half a dozen of those veggies to be roasted at the same time as each other? Is that right??

not exactly.

not a recipe.

looking for ideas to season the typical pan roast of mixed vegetables.

exact combination not specified.

"...at the same time..." almost - but I already know one has to par-cook/boil specific veggies so that the roasting makes them "all done" at the same time.

2 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

So, a combination of at least 4 but less than 19 vegetables? 🙃

I love roasted vegetables but I’m not a guru so it is not common practice for me to combine that many for roasting together. I’m just not as gifted as some in determining the optimal cut size for each veg to allow them all to reach doneness simultaneously. I may put a few different veg (always less than 4😉) on a tray but I keep them separated so it’s easy to remove one and return the rest to the oven to continue roasting. 

sorry.  the concept is simple.

some number of vegetables - par-cooked or not - roasted in a pan.

read the list.  how many types of onions squash potatoes would any sane person decide to roast in the same "dish?"

hence the idea to seek out a guru - they've been there, done that, have some idea of what I'm talking about.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, AlaMoi said:

sorry.  the concept is simple.

hence the idea to seek out a guru - they've been there, done that, have some idea of what I'm talking about.

No need to apologize!  I clearly stated I was not a guru or up to the task, just joining the convo as a roasted veg fan. 

22 minutes ago, AlaMoi said:

Please do respond clearly to the comments from gurus so the rest of us can be enlightened as well!

• Like 4

best contributions, imho

@FauxPas had a good reference - I've copied those recipes
@lemniscate presented some interesting things to try
@Bernie mentioned some on the sweeter side - I'm a (real) maple syrup fan, so that'll be tried

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

KISS is the key.  Assuming your veggies are of good quality, let them shine.

Par cook in a flavourful broth.  Save said broth for future cooks.  This step can be left out, especially for harder dense veg like carrots and parsnips which reduce nicely.  Potatoes however should be par-boiled and tossed around a bit.   A far better crust will form.

A mix of Rosemary, Thyme, Bay Leaf, peppercorns, garlic and onion is your best starting point.  You can make an herb/garlic oil ahead of time or just mix thoroughly.

Many approaches to this straight forward 'roast'!

• Like 1