• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TDG: Desperate Measures: Roasted Broccoli

mikeczyz

Curries don't work for me. Something in the curry powders from the supermarket as well as curries I have had in Indian restaurants leave me wishing I was dead a few hours after eating them. I suspect it's the fenugreek but it doesn't matter. I just don't want to chance that pain anymore.

I went for "the basic": olive oil, salt, pepper, spread out on the baking sheet; 425 degrees for 45 minutes. We all enjoyed it.

attachicon.gifRoasted_Cauliflower.jpg

You can get the CF much darker than this and the taste will improve. Try doing them almost blackened as a small expt.

You can get the CF much darker than this and the taste will improve. Try doing them almost blackened as a small expt.

There was a timing issue. I would have let them go longer but we were late getting home from errands and I had the rest of the meal ready, a meal I was hungry for.

I really enjoyed the flavor of these but am going to try for darker at a later date.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I tried again.

This time the carrots were dried out but still orange and eatable.  Not carbonized but not great either.  I remember from my married years trying to cook carrots around a roast and never getting them to soften.  I sampled the raw carrots tonight and they were not that great.

It seems over dinner I broke a tooth, but fortunately it does not take too many teeth to appreciate a mai tai.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I stuff a roasted acorn squash half with a mixure of roasted eggplant, roasted red peppers and roasted garlic and return it to the oven again for a second roasting. Note, I add fresh thyme, diced sundried tomatoes and goat cheese to the stuffing.

I roasted potatoes, carrots and onions by the "slow" method to accompany a garlic pork roast last Sunday, and must say I am still not impressed.  Good thing I had some terrific gravy.  I already ate the leftover onions and will toss the potatoes, as they were hard and tough.

Tonight's dinner will feature some cubed leftover lamb roast from the freezer, plus small amounts of carrots, pork and pork gravy rescued from above.  Will add some frozen peas and freshly mashed potatoes for a Shepherds' Pie.  It makes me feel so virtuous to use up leftovers.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

• 1 year later...

It's been unusually cool here lately and I've been mad for roasted veggies. Tonight was a mix of fennel, celery, red pepper and carrot. I wanted to add some onion but discovered I was all out. Tossed with some olive oil, S & P and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar. Roasted at 420F for 20 mins. Quite tasty, but I still need to try @andiesenji's method of slow roasting. And I like the Serious Eat suggestions, I need to work through a few of those, also. 

Before roasting. 

IMGP5615.JPG.6bd64ef639a3e83735b2527aed2

What are other folks' fave combos? Methods? 

• Like 3

Last night I enjoyed some fingerlings pressure steamed for 6 minutes, coated in grapeseed oil, and roasted (at as I recall 425 deg F) for thirty minutes.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 6 years later...

seeking pan roasting guru for vegetables.....
we've had super roasted vegetables in multiple places - some surprising places, like convention buffet offerings...
I've done many attempts, used many vegetables.  some worked some not worked.
we eat pretty much any good stuff, I've listed the candidates below.  
#1 - obviously(!) not everything listed is used every time...
#2 - some of the stuff has different cooking times... some is par-cooked and added, some goes in at the 'medium to last' minute

"The Problem"
seasoning.
salt&freshgroundpepper is a given, but really good dishes had other seasonings that smack the dish into orbit.
_that's_ where I'm trying to go.

personally I'm adverse to sage (bad history, captive history with sage on everything....) and
both DW and myself are "soapy" tasting cilantro types.
I have a large herb/spice cabinet filled to overflowing.....

so, seeking seasoning guru with advice on how to dress up the salt/pepper/olive oil roasting pan of veggies....

things used - not "all" - but these we eat:
potato - chunked - white/gold/red
sweet potato - chunked
carrots
cauliflower
asparagus - tips & short stalks
zucchini - sliced or speared
butternut squash
acorn squash
Delicata squash
broccoli
onion 'shells' - yellow / sweet / Vidalia - not red
small shallot
pearl onion
sweet green/red/yellow pepper
red beets
fennel root - sliced
mushrooms
turnips - chunked
parsnips - chunked

• Like 2

Couple of thoughts - 

Cauliflower - harissa 

Onions - balsamic vinegar and thyme

Fennel - chilli and lemon

Broccoli - red chilli and slivered garlic, maybe some parmesan

Parsnips - honey and caraway seeds

• Like 4

I am reading @AlaMoi’s post as carefully as I can and get the impression that the interest is more of a selection of vegetables being roasted together as opposed to a single vegetable being roasted. Some clarification would be helpful.
It’s much easier to suggest seasonings for a single vegetable. I find a little garam masala or commercial curry powder excellent on parsnips but not necessarily on other things. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I used to love making variations on Moosewood Restaurant's roasted veggies. I haven't made any of these for years but this thread reminded me of them and I need to try them again. 

One of their cookbooks has three versions of roasted veggies, tossed with a dressing before roasting - Italian, Cantonese or Caribbean. The recipe and instructions are here. It was a good starting point for me! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

@Okanagancook has posted her renditions/variations of Panch Pora Spice for okra. Here's one:

"Found a couple of pictures of the dish..one has some mushrooms added and another with eggplants.

And I found my patch phora recipe

2 T black mustard seed

2 T cumin seeds

2 T black cumin seeds

1 T fenugreek seed

1 T fennel seed "

I find this good on many vegetable mixtures.

Edited by TdeV
Word choice (log)
  • Thanks 1

salt and pepper in all of the below

I like tossing roasted broccoli in a vinaigrette of garlic, anchovy, lemon juice,kalamata olives, olive oil.

Dukka tossed with roasted root veggies is nice.

I like to roast carrots with olive oil and chili flakes.  Toss with a gremolata (orange zest, shallots, salt, and parsley).  Make a glaze with reduced orange juice and honey and drizzle on top.

roasted beets tossed with lemon juice, toasted cumin seeds, olive oil and chopped fresh mint.

I love parsnips.  Add rosemary and 1/2 inch lengths of bacon when roasting the parsnips.  5-10 minutes before done sprinkle with a little brown sugar and cider vinegar and finish off in the oven.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Pimentón of various heat levels.

Espelette

Herbs de Provence

Thin lemon slices

Lots of bay leaves or even better, great powdered bay from B & B

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I don't have anything interesting to contribute but I do like espelette on winter squash.  I'm enjoying this thread.  I've never done much with vegetables other than slap some butter and s & p on them so this is a great thread.  I just remembered I like nutmeg on green beans.  And tajin on corn.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

I am reading @AlaMoi’s post as carefully as I can and get the impression that the interest is more of a selection of vegetables being roasted together as opposed to a single vegetable being roasted. Some clarification would be helpful.
It’s much easier to suggest seasonings for a single vegetable. I find a little garam masala or commercial curry powder excellent on parsnips but not necessarily on other things. 

no clarification is required. 

I'm open to using whole different bunches of vegetables.

not interested in what herb/spice/seasoning works with one single vegetable from Saturn.

more interested in seasonings that work super with earth-style vegetables.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

51 minutes ago, AlaMoi said:

no clarification is required. 

I'm open to using whole different bunches of vegetables.

not interested in what herb/spice/seasoning works with one single vegetable from Saturn.

more interested in seasonings that work super with earth-style vegetables.

Even more clarification is required.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I find things like honey & maple syrup work fairly well with root vegetables but the temperature has to be kept down a bit so it doesn't burn (and go bitter). It may well not crisp up like "normal" roasting.

And surprisingly it does work for sweet potatoes and pumpkin, but you need other vegetables/protein to counterbalance the sweetness.

You can cheat and boil/steam the vegetables then roast with honey or maple syrup to caramelize the outside coating (less is more 🙂) but they still wont be crisp as such.

Actually some roasted root vegetables may not need to be crisp if they are roasted in flavored oil or drippings like the roast pork pan juices -(homer voice - hmmm warm pork fat)

• Like 2

Be kind first.

Be nice.

(If you don't know the difference then you need to do some research)

As most have iterated already, there won‘t be any „universal“ seasoning that fits well to all your choices, except maybe 

17 hours ago, lemniscate said:

MSG

That being said - if I read your list with asparagus, red beets, fennel root & mushrooms, I wonder if you have thought your question through and really throw together these options randomly.

If not and you have already some winning combinations (again: asparagus, red beets, fennel root & mushrooms for example is not), maybe you could specify* and ideas will flow in. Just look the combos above to match the flavor profiles of just one of your choices. More specific questions will yield more helpful answers for you** 🤗

—-
* just as in your „super earthy veggies“ hint, which btw is a clarification (while of course „not from Saturn“ is not)

** though above ideas are already pretty good …

• Like 7
  • Haha 1