• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Molding aerated chocolate

Dark side

Has anyone successfully "piped" aerated chocolate from a whip dispenser directly into molds? 

Ive only tried aerating once, years ago and found that it got too cold once charged and seized up before i could make much happen with it. It may be that I was too cautious and didnt begin with enough chocolate in the dispenser for the amount of charging and the chill overtook it. 

Id really like to fill some molds (bigger than bonbon) with aerated chocolate. Looking for tips for success! 

How much chocolate in canister, how many chargers, etc.

Thank you!

2 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Not I - all my experiments resulted in a lot of chocolate washed out of the siphon as I recall!

Boo that is unfortunate! And what im hoping to avoid! Thanks for replying nonetheless. 

There must be SOME success stories out there...🤞

Yeah did this in maybe 3cm demisphere moulds a couple years ago.  Was difficult to nail down the expansion and stop the vac machine when they were at the perfect height to cap.  I used cocoa butter silk to help quicken crystallisation and kept the siphon in a circulator at 31 between batches because I could only fit one rack of moulds in the chamber at a time.  I think it would have been more difficult to do a rack of 32 bonbon sized pieces.  Wasn’t easy but they were purdy kewl

6F1090FE-9A63-402C-BF1A-80A5187FEA83.thumb.jpeg.246c855214b9d2bda5d8a72fcb406c1b.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1

17 hours ago, Alwayzbakin said:

Yeah did this in maybe 3cm demisphere moulds a couple years ago.  Was difficult to nail down the expansion and stop the vac machine when they were at the perfect height to cap.  I used cocoa butter silk to help quicken crystallisation and kept the siphon in a circulator at 31 between batches because I could only fit one rack of moulds in the chamber at a time.  I think it would have been more difficult to do a rack of 32 bonbon sized pieces.  Wasn’t easy but they were purdy kewl

6F1090FE-9A63-402C-BF1A-80A5187FEA83.thumb.jpeg.246c855214b9d2bda5d8a72fcb406c1b.jpeg

image.jpeg

Those look awesome!

Vac machine? oh dear, this sounds put of my wheelhouse.. How does this play into the process?

And you were able to keep aerated chocolate warm in the siphon while waiting between batches? 

22 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

@Dark side the vac machine would be instead of the siphon 

I’m guessing you fill the shells or molds maybe 1/3 full & it aerates as the vacuum is activated, then you stop the machine before it compresses. 

Did some searching and looks like chocolate aerated in siphon is dispensed and then also put into vac chamber to increase bubbles. 

Im wondering if the vacuum is necessary..  

• Like 1